Remembering "Stone Pillow", Lucy as a bag lady!

tropicjeff

I have to be the person to disagree here. I really didn't like her in this role. To me it came across as unintentionally humorous and an odd theme. I'm not necessarily against the idea of her as a bag lady but a happier, lighter story would have been nice.  

I saw the original broadcast.  I do not remember Lucy as herself coming on at the end with a post script message.

I can't be objective about SP's merits.  But you have to admire Lucy for throwing herself into something like this, trying something new at age 73, when she could have just kept on doing Lucy stuff. 

The ratings were quite high (#7 for the week is my recollection). Very impressive considering the stiff competition from an installment of  ABC's "North and South" mini-series  also in the top 10.  Which paved the way for Life with Lucy.

ABC was looking for her to make their whole Saturday night, hence her being on at 8 and she dragged everybody down with her.  Aaron Spelling was famous for his dramas, not comedies.  Maybe if HE had produced Stone Pillow, it might have been much better.  I think Mr Spelling was the producer of Night, Mother which was just the best, two Best acting Oscar nominations for Sissy Spacek and Anne Bancroft I think.  I still say you can see Lucy Ricardo in that shower scene where she's mugging for the camera.  That's the thing with Facts of Life, you couldn't see Ball or Hope being themselves in any way.  I watch it once every few years, I never loved it either but I too think it's great that she was finally stretching her acting muscles for a change in something totally different.

Oh and Neil, remember how CBS had that special little clip they would play at the end of various things, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT . . . . that's what Lucy did, she SPLAINED things about homeless people for just one minute but looked like her old self lest people think she actually looked like she did on that movie.  LOL!

Well, yeah, she was working again so it took YEARS off of her, LOL!  My copy of Stone Pillow, I kept, even though I bought the dvd, as mine has Lucy doing the post movie message clip AND that Rona Barrett interview.  Lucy had that great lighting thing with a chair, a lamp and subdued lighting, LOL!  At one point, Rona tells Lucy that it's incredible that a country as rich as the US has these homeless people, so Lucy interrupts her to say, HEY, EVERY COUNTRY HAS ONE PERSON THAT COULD WIPE OUT THE HOMELESSNESS, LET'S NOT GET INTO THAT, good ole Lucy, at that age, she still had SPUNK and like Lou Grant said, I HATE SPUNK!  LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Stone Pillow DVD and don't remember this extra scene.  Remember Entertainment Tonight and Home Movie showing clips from Rona's interview.  I love Stone Pillow and it is moving, touching, and great acting from Lucy and pretty good story.  I agree that showing Florabelle getting kicked out onto the streets would have been great opening scene though her son had died a long time ago so maybe it is better the plot was referred to.

Archived