Magazine Article on Lucy's Roxbury Home

tropicjeff

How old are you? lol

They were pre-paid cards one could use to make calls at pay phones instead of change. Other phone cards came with a 1-800 number and a PIN code that you could could call from your home phone for long distance and international calls.

The bedroom looks so great there and hate to be defending gary but that pink bathroom which he gifted her while she was on location is one of the few updated areas in that HOUSE.  Trouble is all those houses looked like they were stuck in the fifties as nobody ever redecorated, the Benny and Stewart houses were similar inside to Lucy's.

O M G those are just amazing, thanks so much for putting them up, I've seen most of them before but some show different areas, thanks again, got any more?

I agree! I'd love to see some more especially from the 70s-80s.... I don't think we have had a thread of photos inside the Roxbury home. I've seen a decent amount of shots... but it's always nice to see some rare gems like these.

It seems like I come across far less professional photos of the Roxbury house. The ones most common are a few in the living room from the 50s, the ones done for that carpet brochure, and that 60s family photo set where you see a room or 2. The only video I know of is the quick tour on the Walters interview.

Based on how much I am finding of the ranch this little bit of Roxbury is noticeable. I don't think it had anything to do with celebrity culture as we had Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous through tons of interest in celebrity homes now.

I'm wondering if it had to do more with Lucy's level of fame by the 60s and on.

It seems like I come across far less professional photos of the Roxbury house. The ones most common are a few in the living room from the 50s, the ones done for that carpet brochure, and that 60s family photo set where you see a room or 2. The only video I know of is the quick tour on the Walters interview.

Based on how much I am finding of the ranch this little bit of Roxbury is noticeable. I don't think it had anything to do with celebrity culture as we had Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous through tons of interest in celebrity homes now.

I'm wondering if it had to do more with Lucy's level of fame by the 60s and on.

Those are the two I am aware of.... I actually believe that I own a photo of Lucie in the pool house in her 20s. I have to look for it but I think I have it scanned in.

You see how it had such an OLD fashioned decorating scheme, looks more like the fifties.  Love your avatar pic of Lucy Desiluforever.  Remember Shel that the sales brochure or whatever it was, had two beautiful pics of the living room and lanai, found those two on the net a decade ago.  I could look at those all day, finally gives me what I always wanted, a diagram of the whole place.  But this is only part of it of course.

The pics I've seen of the living room show it as very formal looking, I know Lucy got all her furniture flown in from Jamestown manufacturers.  These HUGE couches and chairs with matching ottomans all over the place, gigantic lamps, brocade drapes.  We see gary's den in those pics, again quite formal but mahogany walls and fireplaces, real oil paintings.  Many by the same artist, gary must have gotten a cut when buying that artist's work.   The ones above are mostly from the lanai, Lucy's favorite room, as she told Babs Walters.  The giant screen on which they showed films would come down from the cheesecloth ceiling.

In that beautiful bedroom, shown once for Lucie's wedding where Lucy would come to the window to wave at fans, it really looks luxurious.  Love that seat at the foot of the bed.  And that round table with the covering and chairs on either side.  Dunno how many front windows on the second floor were from the bedroom but at least two I think and the two smaller windows were of the bathroom I think.  The stairs leading up to those bedrooms were nice, the kids' rooms were later turned into storage areas.  A chandelier greeted you at the main entrance of the hall downstairs, one of the few ritzy touches in that house.  The living room on the right, gary's den on the left.  We once saw a pic of Desi leading little Lucie to her wedding reception at the entrance to that living room area. 

More Lucy stuff from my archives. Here's a great magazine article on her house. Also included this time:  a few ads including one for some $250 trading cards I'll file under the category of "Lucy fans will buy almost anything........." (I didn't.......)

http://lucyarchives.blogspot.com/2014/07/lucys-roxbury-house.html

Hi Jeff love your blog and particularly the story of meeting Desi Arnaz with the terrific coda to it with the autographs of Desi and Bart Andrews.  (By the way Desi actually signed your book "Gracias" which is Spanish for thanks).  Also happy to see I'm not the only one who remembers the Lucy "Would you believe I fell in love with an encyclopedia" ads of the 1970's; I mentioned it here a year or so ago and nobody else knew anything about it,  Thanks for reproducing that ad - I can't believe I didn't save one but then it was in TV Guide almost every week at one point so I guess I didn't think it was anything notable.

You and I seem to have very similiar stories, saving Lucy clippings at the same time and same era (we're about the same age); I have an old thread here at LL with scans from my oldest Lucy scrapbook on this board it's called Lucyilove's Scrapbook or something like that, hasn't been active for more than a year but you can still see it.  Also other scans by decade on the specifically Lucy board.

I remember the encyclopedia ads were part of a two page cardboard that could just come out of the TV Guide and the mail in part could be ripped out to send in.  Didn't they say that the projector that Lucy used to watch her kids growing up and also to play movies was donated by the new owners of the house to the Lucy Museum?

Well, yeah, no wonder, the picture I saw had all the crap that was outside the wood frame taken off and spread on the lawn, but I'm talking in the front, they even killed all the trees.  Which was the main reason I absolutely hated the finished product because they had taken out one of the nicest things about that house, the luxurious landscaping.  After Lucy died, the place went to hell real fast, I saw a pic of the place before they sold it, gary was still living there but obviously not taking care of it at all.  No wonder they got so little for it, they wanted 7 million plus and got only half that.  Everybody knows you get more if you don't gut the place, they had taken everything they could out of it.  Thank God, the people finally did some landscaping once the house was rebuilt but it sure doesn't look as great as it once did.  Lucie always said it wasn't a mansion, just a big house.  Welll, in my opinion, it WAS a mansion in Lucy's day but now, yes, just a plain big house. 

Archived