Putting Lucy out to pasture.

Luvsbway

There's so much wrong with this. Why is this just applying to TV? Should we retire old movies, books, music, and art as well?

Also how often is The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis on TV? I know ME-TV (which I don't have) runs it, but it's not like for the past five decades you couldn't flip through the channels without coming across an episode of Dobie Gillis. What a weird choice.

For writer Neil Gentzliner's bio on the New York Time site:
"I’m far less interested in being the zillionth critic to proclaim the glories of “Mad Men” than I am in being the one who gets a few more people to give the A&E reality show “Duck Dynasty” a try. Especially on the reality-TV side of the spectrum, I’m not even looking for “really good”; sometimes “interesting” is enough for me."
:MrsRichardCarlson:

I have never once caught "Dobie Gillis" on TV anywhere.

While I don't disagree with the entirety of the article (I do think some people sentimentalize the past in order to put down the present, when art has had its ups and downs across all decades), the writer sounds very bitter and the majority of it reads like somebody venting their petulant grievances.

If this person doesn't wish to view these shows, there are two very simple solutions: Either change the channel or turn the TV off. Or, better yet, go to Wal-Mart, buy a $20 season set of the latest hit show and pop that in.

I'm not a fan of some of the shows he listed, but I certainly wouldn't put others down for enjoying them.

I honestly don't know what Dobie Gillis is about!

Anyway, I'm glad they air old shows because honestly, a lot of the new stuff isn't very good. Just yesterday I said that the most modern show I watch is The Office. Everything else is '80s or earlier. I just think TV sitcoms have hit a low for now.

This "writer" should do a story on how so many TV shows attempt and fail to even come close to the chemistry, brilliant acting and writing of the old shows. Let's face it, the fact that the times is even doing a story about 50+ year old shows means something. I'm happy to rip out his eyes so he doesn't have to watch the shows that paved the way for what he likes to watch today. What a joke.

I honestly don't know what Dobie Gillis is about!

Anyway, I'm glad they air old shows because honestly, a lot of the new stuff isn't very good. Just yesterday I said that the most modern show I watch is The Office. Everything else is '80s or earlier. I just think TV sitcoms have hit a low for now.

For comedies, maybe, but dramas are doing very well. I don't watch many because I seldom make the time, but what I have seen has been excellent. There are a lot of great dramatic shows on today

This "writer" should do a story on how so many TV shows attempt and fail to even come close to the chemistry, brilliant acting and writing of the old shows.

For some shows, yes, but let's not discount the examples of shows today that do stand on their own. I, for one, find dramatic works of the era very stilted and unnatural. I think dramas have really improved today. Comedy, especially sitcoms, don't capture the feel of earlier attempts. There hasn't been a sitcom that's grabbed my attention since Will & Grace went off the air. Dramas are clearly their forte nowadays, but I think that's a swinging pendulum that's always been in place. Comedy will have a resurgance.

This is not good television criticism, this is a troll looking for attention.  Shame on the New York Times. 

That's probably a correct assessment. 

There's so much wrong with this. Why is this just applying to TV? Should we retire old movies, books, music, and art as well?

Seriously.  Alert the French: they need to shut down the Louvre.  All the art there is old!

Actually, if you look at the comments under Neil Genzlinger's article, the vast majority of them appear to be rebutting him.  The only area where I can agree with Mr. Genzlinger, like Mr. Levine, is that binge watching nothing but old shows is not a good thing.  But then I wouldn't want to binge watch anything.  That's just not healthy and who has the time anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

Must be a seinfeld fan.   While I agree Dobie Gillis not being on is no big loss, but I Love Lucy, the most popular comedy series of all time, now that would be just wrong!  Excuse me while I go throw out my copy of the Mona Lisa, my statue of David and all those worthless old relics I was keeping around. 

Archived