For Your Consideration!

• 2 weeks later...

Were they seriously considering Gary's performance in 'Lenny' Oscar material? I remember seeing it YEARS ago and he was certainly OK. But a smug, smarmy Jewish comedian character: was that really a stretch?? Small roles have been Oscar nominated, but he was in only one scene as I recall.

It's just very odd that he popped up in this which came out around "Mame".(and the much more enjoyable "Postcards" for that matter). Could he have actively been scouting acting work? "Lenny" seems the antithesis of anything Lucy would approve of or have anyone associated with LBP involved in. "Postcards" was made a year or two after Lucy died. His performance is perfectly fine. If he wanted the work, you would think it would have led to other character parts....and then maybe a sitcom based on his personal experience: "Life Without Lucy" in which the husband of a late, great and celebrated actress finds his way without his social crutch/entree into the inner show business world; and eventually marries a perky tennis player 30 years his junior. Maybe the flashback episode "I Now Pronounce You....ANNULLED" would solve the mystery of Gary in the 1950s.

Gary really was hoping for an Oscar nomination for Lenny. He actually got very good reviews. It is a very small part, but there are only a few characters in the film.

Supposedly, Gary got the role after Bob Fosse ran into the Mortons in a restaurant. Milton Berle was reportedly offered the role first, but he turned it down. The character is modeled after Milton. Lucy claimed that she wasn't offended by the Lenny movie because the real Lenny Bruce went much further than the movie portrayed. I have no idea how truthful she was being. It's quite interesting that her husband was appearing in a movie with tons of bad language, sex, nudity, and drug use when she was on a crusade to make more family friendly films.

It's quite interesting that her husband was appearing in a movie with tons of bad language, sex, nudity, and drug use when she was on a crusade to make more family friendly films.

I finally got around to watching Lenny this year and what you said above I wondered too. Maybe she was just happy he was off doing something other than golf and hanging around the studio.

Archived