Robin Williams Has Died

FreddieMertz

Geez, just got my computer working again this morning only to read about poor Robin.  I've been a fan since the very beginning and know all about his many battles with so many demons.  A comedy genius, he leaves behind three wives and three children.  Winner of an Oscar, two Emmys, six Golden Globes and so many Grammys.  And to go so young, with four new movies about to come out.  THIS IS REALY QUITE A SHOCK! 

Been a fan of Robin since ages ago; from 'Mork and Mindy' ,'Moscow on the Hudson' , 'Dead Poets Society' etc etc. He has made me laugh,cry laugh and bawl my eyes out. Thought it was a joke at first and since I was working when I learned about it had to shut myself off and keep denying it. Finally driving home; it struck me :

One of my favorite appearances of him was on 'Inside the Actor's Studio' with James Lipton.

Carpe Diem!

Sharing my thoughts of sadness; and thinking back to Mork and Mindy - what a beloved HIT - I'm hoping Mork takes care of him in heaven and the weight that has brought him down is lifted for evermore.  He gave US so much to be happy about; too bad, we couldn't have 'helped' him with HIS troubles.

Same with Lucille; wonder if she REALLY knew, after all the tragedy in her life, the laughter and happiness she brought each of us.

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kellogg

I keep crying seeing the many tributes on television for him.  I never knew how much a part of my childhood Robin Williams had been, although "Mork and Mindy" was slightly before my time, he was the voice of "Aladdin" and of course one of my favorite movies as a young teen, "Mrs. Doubtfire."  And of course "Dead Poets Society" and "Good Will Hunting."  I'm really going to miss his presence in Hollywood.  If someone like him, who appeared to have it all with his fame and fortune and the adoration of fans the world over, couldn't overcome his demons, what hope is there for the rest of us?   :unsure: :(

I own practically every movie he ever made.  So gifted.  My faves are Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, The Birdcage, Moscow on the Hudson, and even some of the darker ones, not to mention his many concerts.  I noticed he wasn't as hilarious after he kicked his coke addiction, but that bombastic way he had of non stop verbalizing put his idol Jonathan Winters to shame.  Now I understand how difficult it must have been to make people roar with laughter when HE was crying inside.

Noticed some similarities in Lucy's and Robin's lives.  Wasn't he operated in 2009 I think, for an aortic valve?  And the outpouring of affection from stars and the public, the floral displays on his star and so on.  The touching words from his ex wives and especially his children will bring tears to anyone's eyes.

I cried too, and I never really cried for a celebrity before when they've passed, but I paced the floor trying to process it and then I cried- strange, but he felt so apart of me. I understood his humor, I saws lot of his movies and work ,and I just felt so connected. My mom and I would spend every mothers day watching Mrs Doubtfire lol

According to his wife, Robin Williams was also in the early struggles with Parkinson's Disease:

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

"Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

"Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

"It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

Poor guy.

According to his wife, Robin Williams was also in the early struggles with Parkinson's Disease:

Poor guy.

This might've been the straw that broke the camel's back for him.  Beings he was into physical comedy and such, perhaps he felt that he wouldn't be able to do this after the disease progressed and thought his life had no meaning anymore.  Very sad.  

Sharing my thoughts of sadness; and thinking back to Mork and Mindy - what a beloved HIT - I'm hoping Mork takes care of him in heaven and the weight that has brought him down is lifted for evermore.  He gave US so much to be happy about; too bad, we couldn't have 'helped' him with HIS troubles.

Same with Lucille; wonder if she REALLY knew, after all the tragedy in her life, the laughter and happiness she brought each of us.

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kellogg

I'm seeing lots of similarities between the two. I keep hearing that Robin Williams was a totally different person in private, and had a hard time relating to people one on one. Sound familiar? I remember hearing someone who knew Lucille Ball personally (Lucie maybe?)  say it was as if she had an on/off switch.  And when the switch was off, she would withdraw and become dark and quiet.  One of Robin Williams' friends said the other day that when he didn't have at least two or more people with him -- an audience -- he would become quiet and remote, almost like you were strangers.  One of his friends said he lacked social skills and was uncomfortable on a personal level.  But when he was performing, he came alive.  That's when he was his happiest.  He needed to work.  Lucy also needed to work.  Like him, without work she became very depressed.

Robin was in a downward spiral recently, and it appears the cancellation of his TV show, and his Parkinson's diagnosis had something to do with his depression.  Both of these things meant he couldn't work.  Like Taylor commented, his comedy was very physical.  Parkinson's would have put an end to that.  On top of that was a very expensive divorce a few years ago, the death of one of his two brothers several years ago, and that of his long-time best friend, Christopher Reeve, back in '04, which he may have never gotten over, and the death of his friend and idol, Jonathan Winters, last year.

There are several similarities between Lucy and Robin. Very well put LittleRicky. Its the double edged sword of show business. Comics are insecure people often times very much within themselves who come alive onstage. When they earn the acceptance and love of millions it provides momentary happiness for them but because of the insecurity and anxiety it never lasts. So they seek it out again and again though other projects. But some are not as successful as others. And when that happens it only fuels the darker side. And of course as they get older many of them, even a Lucy or Robin, find it harder to find roles which was a huge blow to both of them.

But Mr Williams certainly wasn't retired, he still has four projects about to come out.  Watched a few of his great movies in the past few days and he is just excellent in all of them.  I think it was comedian Rob Schneider who came out with IT'S THE MEDICATION FOR PARKINSON'S THAT KILLED ROBIN! 

They're speculating now that the suicide was spur of the moment, that he hadn't had a long range plan to do it.  Just a couple days before his death he had been talking to some guy about future projects and planning for the future in general.  So something snapped in him at the last minute.  It might've been some kind of reaction to some medication, makes sense.

Archived