What show did Lucille look her best

When I first say I Love Lucy, it was the mid-60s and 50s fashions already looked dated and quaint and it had only been 10 years.  Have fashions changed that much since 2004?  When Lucy Ricardo got all dolled up, she looked tremendous ("Hollywood Anniversary" for instance).  But nothing beats her 60s look.  As Lucy Carmichael, she looked so different than Lucy Ricardo that as a child, I didn't know it was the same person. (The confusion was brief).   She looks particularly great in "Lucy the Music Lover".  When you see pictures of her without make up, she looks nice but rather plain.  Look at the recently posted pic of her during the Burlesque rehearsal compared to how she looked on the show, shedding 10, 15, maybe 20 years.   As Dick Martin (supposedly) said to Fidelman "Nobody could pull it together like Lu".   Her look reached its peak in the 4th season, and I'm thinking more of her guest shots: "Dean Martin", "Burlesque" and particularly "Steve Lawrence".  Her walk down the flight of stairs before swinging and the chandelier: she looked so regal, in a way that Lucy Ricardo or even Lucille Ball of the 50s did not. Even though she was into her 40s (in the 50s), she didn't look "mature".   I put her absolute peak at 1965-66.  Less so as the years rolled on (alas, like ALL of us....).  Maybe it's because I don't like the 6th season, but I don't think she looks as good in that one as she did even a season before.

I think the mid-to-late '60s she looked very dignified and sophisticated.  

Kinda ironic and a little amusing the more glamorous and sophisticated she looked as Lucy -- and I think the Dean Martin ep was a great example of this look, which she should have kept IMHO -- the more of a dingbat/ding-a-ling her Lucy Carmichael became, so much more a "caricature" by the end of the run -- especially when you compare it to the first season of her interpretation -- than a "character"! 

Bring on the brickbats! ;):peachonthebeach:

This is kind of OT but I can't tell how Lucy Ricardo, Carmichael or Carter's personalities differed. Lucy Ricardo was always scheming to break into Ricky's nightclub act, or scheming with Ethel to fix their problems or to make money. Lucy Carmichael was still a schemer but something was different about her character. I think she was more of a ding-a-ling. I think the most mature of the 3 was Lucy Carter but she was still a goofball, sort of. She often did screw up and get yelled at by Uncle Harry. I think if my personality had to match one of the Lucys, I'd probably be a mix of Carter and Carmichael, with a little bit more Carter than Carmichael--basically Lucy Carmarter. I'm sometimes kind of a dingbat, but I really have a more mature side and try to tell myself to grow up if I do something silly, and I am trying to focus better. Nothing wrong with being silly every now and then but I am 25. I am not the neatest or organized person ever, but I am working on it. I sometimes call myself Steve Urkel because I am sort of clumsy.

• 3 weeks later...

Put three tv sets one next to the other playing each of her three iconic series and sometimes, it's hard to tell it's the same woman, they can look so different at times.  But put me in the SIXTIES group also, she looked her sexiest, and most sophisticated in the later sixties, on The Lucy show, look at her at the Emmys the years he won for a perfect example of this sophistication and beauty.

Archived