Michael Feinstein Sings Desi Arnaz Tribute and LOST I Love Lucy song by Johnny Mercer!!!!!!

Lucyilove

Am very surprised to see I was apparently the only one here to see this - Friday night PBS aired MICHAEL FEINSTEIN AT THE RAINBOW ROOM which was an hour-long special in celebration of that New York nightclub reopening and one of his numbers was a tribute to Desi Arnaz, a medley of "Babulu", "Cuban Pete", and "I Love Lucy".  That was great but the topper was he followed it with a "lost" song he found in the Johnny Mercer archive - ANOTHER "I Love Lucy" theme song also called "I Love Lucy".  It was really cute and enjoyable but I honestly prefer the one Lucy & Desi ultimately went with.  I've NEVER heard anything about this before, Johnny Mercer being sought to write the theme song, does anyone have any more info on it.  I wonder if it's just possible that the title was a coincidence and not related to the ILL series however it does seem to have been written as a prospective song for the show given the mention of the "daffy" girl (on the other hand, can see why it wasn't used given it's not exactly the sort of thing to be sung about a married woman character, this Lucy is quite the sought after mantrap according to the lyrics). 

Watch for this show if it's rebroadcast on PBS - it also features Cheyenne Jackson, Christine Ebersole, and June Squibb, who stops the show with an old Sophie Tucker number.  And it HAS been posted on youtube - don't know how to make the link but it's easy to find even just on a yahoo search.

I mentioned it on TWO different threads but I guess you're right, you and I were the only ones that noticed this, LOL!

LOL, sorry, I did check the search engine but since it was not mentioned in any headers I thought  it might have been missed, though that was a surprise.  Should have read into the most recent posting threads.   In any case I do think it's big news that there was apparently a second possibility for the I Love Lucy theme song written by no less a talent than Johnny Mercer.  What did you think of it?  I do think Lucy and Desi made the wiser decision even if it meant saying no thanks to a legend like Mercer.  And didn't you LOVE that segment?  I was particularly pleased the producers included photographs of Lucy (and Desi)  during that song, made it even more enjoyable.

Yes, I was thrilled with it because it was so unexpected, I tuned in to Feinstein because I always liked him, but I like him lots more NOW, LOL!  And I should have done what YOU did, start a thread about it, makes more sense.

Ditto - it was totally unexpected for me too which made it a big thrill.  Watched the show because of Michael, have a few of his cds and always liked him (really loved his books which are like a "fan" crashing the bigtime) and it also makes me like him even more because of this lovely tribute to Lucy and Desi.

What did you think of his singing? 

Generally, I like his singing though sometimes I think he's a little too emotional or variety-showish.  He did a great job on the Lucy-Desi tribute though and I really liked his softer version of "Fly Me to the Moon".  I didn't care for the opening number though (and thought Cheyenne Jackson was very underwhelming but then his solo number was an oldie that should have stayed in the attic.)

I saw this too and loved it for the most part and yet I was "underwhelmed" by the one I was most looking forward to, Cheyenne Jackson, whom coincidentally was doing his live solo show here in the desert this past weekend and now I'm not feeling so bad that I missed it!  Miss Squibb was okay I thought but she's no Stritch IMHO and I'm most thankful to have heard the "lost" version of the ILL theme song but frankly, I'm glad and see now why the "powers that be" went with the version we all know and love! ;)

O M G Lucyilove, you are so perfectly RIGHT ON with your review.  Amazing how some people who write great songs or those who play the piano so well just don't have the voice or singing style to go with their other GIFT.  He's very good but sometimes much better on the slow ballads than on the big sock it outta the park type numbers.  He sometimes looks like a male Merman, LOL!  As for Cheyenne, yes, not his best number or work but he's got other gifts that more than make up for that, LOL!

I'm a big fan of Johnny Mercer's work, but this was clearly not his best writing. As I said in the other thread, I saw Michael Feinstein perform this song at a Johnny Mercer concert he did with Lucie at Carnegie Hall. I had never heard of the song before. I'd love to know more about it. I have "The Collected Lyrics of Johnny Mercer" book and the song isn't in there, which doesn't surprise me because I doubt it was ever published in any way.

"I wish they made her in large economy box." :lucyshock:

• 3 weeks later...

Am very surprised to see I was apparently the only one here to see this - Friday night PBS aired MICHAEL FEINSTEIN AT THE RAINBOW ROOM which was an hour-long special in celebration of that New York nightclub reopening and one of his numbers was a tribute to Desi Arnaz, a medley of "Babulu", "Cuban Pete", and "I Love Lucy".  That was great but the topper was he followed it with a "lost" song he found in the Johnny Mercer archive - ANOTHER "I Love Lucy" theme song also called "I Love Lucy".  It was really cute and enjoyable but I honestly prefer the one Lucy & Desi ultimately went with.  I've NEVER heard anything about this before, Johnny Mercer being sought to write the theme song, does anyone have any more info on it.  I wonder if it's just possible that the title was a coincidence and not related to the ILL series however it does seem to have been written as a prospective song for the show given the mention of the "daffy" girl (on the other hand, can see why it wasn't used given it's not exactly the sort of thing to be sung about a married woman character, this Lucy is quite the sought after mantrap according to the lyrics). 

Watch for this show if it's rebroadcast on PBS - it also features Cheyenne Jackson, Christine Ebersole, and June Squibb, who stops the show with an old Sophie Tucker number.  And it HAS been posted on youtube - don't know how to make the link but it's easy to find even just on a yahoo search.

You're not the only one.  I saw that, too.  :)  My thought though was I'm SOOO glad they didn't go with that song as the theme for I Love Lucy!  Unlike "I love Lucy and she loves me, we're as happy as two can be . . . " the lyrics of this Johnny Mercer version would not be something people would still want to sing along to in this day and age.  Very corny and dated.

Archived