"I Am Lucille Ball" -- New Kids Book

Brock

Great to see a new book to introduce a new generation to Lucy!

From Amazon.com:

2zi3h2p.jpg

Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography—for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story of one of America’s icons in a vivacious, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, those who aren’t quite ready for the Who Was biography series. Each book focuses on a particular character trait that made that role model heroic. For example, Lucille Ball could make any situation funny. By making people around the world laugh, she proved that humor can take on anything.

This engaging series is the perfect way to bring American history to life for young children, providing them with the right role models, supplementing Common Core learning in the classroom, and best of all, inspiring them to strive and dream.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucille-Ordinary-People-Change-World/dp/0525428550

Available for pre-order; not to be delivered until July 2015!   I didn't realize they ever listed books this early.

I wonder if some publishers put book ideas up on amazon to see what the pre-order numbers are like and base their decision to publish on that.

When they come out with "I Am Sid Gould", I'll pre-order right away.

Great to see a new book to introduce a new generation to Lucy!

From Amazon.com:

2zi3h2p.jpg

Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography—for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story of one of America’s icons in a vivacious, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, those who aren’t quite ready for the Who Was biography series. Each book focuses on a particular character trait that made that role model heroic. For example, Lucille Ball could make any situation funny. By making people around the world laugh, she proved that humor can take on anything.

This engaging series is the perfect way to bring American history to life for young children, providing them with the right role models, supplementing Common Core learning in the classroom, and best of all, inspiring them to strive and dream.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucille-Ordinary-People-Change-World/dp/0525428550

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My copy of this book arrived today and it is pretty cute! The illustrations are an absolute blast. The text is a good and fun introduction to Our Gal but it takes an unusual approach in framing her as a sort of feminist trailblazer, and nothing of her career beyond 1960 is touched upon, with the exception of Desilu under her leadership producing Mission: Impossible and Star Trek. There is also a curious entry in the bibliography, but I'll put that in a separate thread. Also fun: L'il Bette Davis makes a cameo here.

I GOT MINE YESTERDAY!!! 

The Lucy addict in me noticed the massive time skips and gloss overs, but there were GREAT stories from her childhood and I think they did a great job considering it was geared for ages 5-8.

The illustration from the Cuban Pete number is even more spectacular considering it's a children's book.

Despite what one of the kids says, I believe Lucy has THREE stars on Hollywood Boulevard, not two.  One for movies, TV AND radio.

If you've ever walked Hollywood Boulevard, it's amazing the minor celebrities that were awarded stars back in the day, most of whom nobody even knows.  If it wasn't for Fred's line in "Vitameta", I don't know if I'd know who Faye Emerson is.

If you've ever walked Hollywood Boulevard, it's amazing the minor celebrities that were awarded stars back in the day, most of whom nobody even knows. If it wasn't for Fred's line in "Vitameta", I don't know if I'd know who Faye Emerson is.

Faye actually has TWO stars! One for film and one for TV. I don't think whoever made Faye's TV star knew who she was either because her name is misspelled! They left the "e" off her first name. Faye was much better known for TV. She had several shows of her own in the early days of television and had a six year run as a panelist on I've Got A Secret. Faye was famous for her low cut gowns and had TV's first wardrobe malfunction. Faye was also married to Elliott Roosevelt.

Despite what one of the kids says, I believe Lucy has THREE stars on Hollywood Boulevard, not two.  One for movies, TV AND radio.

If you've ever walked Hollywood Boulevard, it's amazing the minor celebrities that were awarded stars back in the day, most of whom nobody even knows.  If it wasn't for Fred's line in "Vitameta", I don't know if I'd know who Faye Emerson is.

Not sure what this has to do with the book, but I'd love to know where her radio one is. I can't find any reference to it.

If you know nothing about it, I doubt it exists LOL>

I guess I was wrong about Lucy having a radio star (and that little kid in "I Am ..." was right)

Does Desi have a star?  I assume Bill does.  And wasn't there an effort to get Vivian a star a few years ago?

I guess I was wrong about Lucy having a radio star (and that little kid in "I Am ..." was right)

Does Desi have a star?  I assume Bill does.  And wasn't there an effort to get Vivian a star a few years ago?

Lucy and Desi got both of theirs the same day that Bill got his: Feb 6,, 1960. Sad because they were already separated. Are there any photos from this day?

I've always found it interesting that Bill was snubbed at the Emmy's and VIv was snubbed with her star.

Lucy and Desi got both of theirs the same day that Bill got his: Feb 6,, 1960. Sad because they were already separated. Are there any photos from this day?

I've always found it interesting that Bill was snubbed at the Emmy's and VIv was snubbed with her star.

Lucy, Desi, and Bill were among the original 1,500+ stars on the Walk of Fame. February 8, 1960 was the groundbreaking. They did not do the unveilings they do today, so no celebrities were there. 

If I remember correctly, this isn't the first children's book, regarding Lucille Ball.  The title of the book escapes me at the moment, but I distinctly remember there being an "I Love Lucy" children's book. When my brother was in grade-school, he brought this book home. It was a children's book about "I Love Lucy."  I remember it well, because I wanted to keep it, and he had to bring it back to school.  Does anybody else remember this?  I'm going to do a search, and hopefully find a photo of the book cover.  

• 1 year later...

Archived