Bob Hope & Leading Ladies (FULL SPECIAL!)

Brock

Lucy always shows deep affection for Bob.

By 1966, most of these women's careers were virtually over, with the exceptions: Lucy, Phyllis and Joan Collins, yet they all seemed so young still.   

I don't know that I've seen Joan Fontaine as herself.  She's "grand" in the deHavilland style.

Of this group, Lucy at 55 is the oldest.  Joan Collins is the youngest of course.  Most of these women were born in the 20s, so were in their 40s in 1966.  Bob is 63.  Lucy always seemed more of the era of the younger women because she peaked later than her contemporaries.

One co-star missing: Katharine Hepburn  from "Iron Petticoat".   What's with Hollywood/TV's fascination with "Petticoat"?  We had "Petticoat Junction" and "Pistols and Petticoats" running at the same time on TV.   "Operation: Petticoat" and "Iron..." in the movies.

Other than referencing these, I've never heard the word "petticoat" spoken in real life.  I'm not even sure I know what one is.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Lucy here again stealing the show though Phyllis is funny too.  I love her sweet, high pitched southern bell voice that sounds just like Scarlett, her sauciness and playfulness and her seriousness with a look of disgust when she said we played Dutch.  Most of Bob's specials weren't special weren't her.  She knew to have fun and really do the best out of a dull script.

I love Lucy here again stealing the show though Phyllis is funny too.  I love her sweet, high pitched southern bell voice that sounds just like Scarlett, her sauciness and playfulness and her seriousness with a look of disgust when she said we played Dutch.  Most of Bob's specials weren't special weren't her.  She knew to have fun and really do the best out of a dull script.

So well said and so true, no wonder none of them were ever released on dvd.

Archived