Dial it down, Mrs. Carmichael!

I believe most people would admit that Lucy didn't always receive the greatest writing in the later years of her career. Which moments from The Lucy Show / Here's Lucy do you think did a disservice to the characters of a Lucy Carmichael and Lucy Carter?

One that immediately comes to mind is "Lucy and the Missing Stamp", as I have a real issue with how Lucy was portrayed in this episode. It seems very out of character for her to be such an emotional wreck at the beginning over lack of vacuum sales. Had Bob and Madelyn written this episode, Lucy would have been the top saleswoman and the success would've gone to her head, driving Viv mad.

I believe most people would admit that Lucy didn't always receive the greatest writing in the later years of her career. Which moments from The Lucy Show / Here's Lucy do you think did a disservice to the characters of a Lucy Carmichael and Lucy Carter?

One that immediately comes to mind is "Lucy and the Missing Stamp", as I have a real issue with how a Lucy was portrayed in this episode. It seems very out of character for her to be such an emotional wreck at the beginning over lack of vacuum sales. Had Bob and Madelyn written this episode, Lucy would have been the top saleswoman and the success would've gone to her head, driving Viv mad.

Sorry, but we disagree here, i always loved everything about that particular episode.  I don't see anything wrong with it, however, put me down for the usual complaints about the episodes with animals, iron man Carmichael and the the one where she was a sherrif.

I would have to say:

Mooney the Monkey (The Lucy Show)

two of the three iron man Carmichael episodes (the first one was enough) (The Lucy Show)

Lucy In The Jungle (Here's Lucy)

Lucy's Safari (Here's Lucy) 

Lucy and Ma Parker (Here's Lucy) * wins for all-time worst Lucy episode (this is the only episode that I turned off after the first 15 minutes)

Lucy, the Sheriff (Here's Lucy)

I can forgive "Stamp" because it's a pretty funny show, using the scale of comparison with all the other 3rd season shows, a very uneven year.  So frustrating because you still had Vivian Vance and the remnants of the original format..  What's missing from a lot of the post-2nd season, non-Bob&Mad shows is a consistency of character.  Despite all the things Lucy Carmichael did, there was an underlying intelligence and sort of a regal classiness, even considering her lower-middle class status.   This character trait appears off and on during the TLS run.  By the time of HL, it's almost totally missing.  One of the most cringe-inducing scenes was where she returned from the post office with ten 29-cent stamps all wadded up in her purse, instead of the 29 ten-cent stamps Harry had requested. First: postage was a standard 10 cents for quite some time (as I recall) and any normally intelligent adult would have known.  And second: why did Harry ask for suggest an odd number of stamps in the first place: 29.  Don't remember the episode but this little bit was at the beginning and had nothing to do with the plot.

One that immediately comes to mind is "Lucy and the Missing Stamp", as I have a real issue with how a Lucy was portrayed in this episode. It seems very out of character for her to be such an emotional wreck at the beginning over lack of vacuum sales. Had Bob and Madelyn written this episode, Lucy would have been the top saleswoman and the success would've gone to her head, driving Viv mad.

Lucy Saves Milton Berle comes to mind. Why would she let a homeless man nevertheless a complete stranger come into her apartment with just her? That seems out of character as we learn a season later that she had no interest in having a roommate that was male in Lucy Gets a Roommate or her statement that people might talk if she had George Burns over at her place in Lucy and George Burns. But then again, this was the same Lucy that had Phil Harris spend a night at her place in the sixth season.

Lucy Gets Her Diploma also. Not really a bad episode (unlike the one above). Just an inconsistency error with the Lucy Carmichael character. In this episode we learn that Lucy never graduated from high school but years earlier in Lucy's College Reunion we learn she's a college graduate. Also, in that second season episode her maiden name was Taylor but that gets changed to McGillacuddy later on in the series. 

Lucy Saves Milton Berle comes to mind. Why would she let a homeless man nevertheless a complete stranger come into her apartment with just her? That seems out of character as we learn a season later that she had no interest in having a roommate that was male in Lucy Gets a Roommate or her statement that people might talk if she had George Burns over at her place in Lucy and George Burns. But then again, this was the same Lucy that had Phil Harris spend a night at her place in the sixth season.

Lucy Gets Her Diploma also. Not really a bad episode (unlike the one above). Just an inconsistency error with the Lucy Carmichael character. In this episode we learn that Lucy never graduated from high school but years earlier in Lucy's College Reunion we learn she's a college graduate. Also, in that second season episode her maiden name was Taylor but that gets changed to McGillacuddy later on in the series. 

Makes you wonder if her various writers ever watched the show, LOL!

Archived