This is one of my favorite Lucy interviews. This was promotion for CBS Salutes Lucy. Carol and Gale are surprise guests. There's quite a bit of Wildcat discussion with Lucy and Valerie. Valerie couldn't remember if Wildcat had tryouts in both Philadelphia and Boston or just Philadelphia. Lucy has no idea, but Dinah keeps bringing it up, so Lucy finally says, "Who the hell cares?" Dinah later says was stalling for time because she wasn't sure if surprise guest Carol was ready or not. "Who the hell cares?" becomes a running joke throughout the rest of the interview. Dinah shows off a Wildcat Playbill, which they all treat rather roughly, which makes me cringe! LOL. Lucy is coaxed into doing an enthusiastic rendition of "Hey, Look Me Over!" with Valerie and Dinah.

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite Lucy interviews. This was promotion for CBS Salutes Lucy. Carol and Gale are surprise guests. There's quite a bit of Wildcat discussion with Lucy and Valerie. Valerie couldn't remember if Wildcat had tryouts in both Philadelphia and Boston or just Philadelphia. Lucy has no idea, but Dinah keeps bringing it up, so Lucy finally says, "Who the hell cares?" Dinah later says was stalling for time because she wasn't sure if surprise guest Carol was ready or not. "Who the hell cares?" becomes a running joke throughout the rest of the interview. Dinah shows off a Wildcat Playbill, which they all treat rather roughly, which makes me cringe! LOL. Lucy is coaxed into doing an enthusiastic rendition of "Hey, Look Me Over!" with Valerie and Dinah.

Asked for date; but, found it; so, just disregard.  Loving you, JK

Yeah, all of Dinah's Lucy interviews should be put together for us all to enjoy, they were great friends and Dinah was one of the many celebrities interviewed when Lucy passed on, saying Lucy was a devoted mother who didn't send a maid with an item Little Lucie needed for a show but went herself with a babushkah on her head and no make up.  And she said Lucy ALWAYS asked Dinah about her own two kids.

Lucy asked alot of people about themselves.  I think that is a great quality.  She had been asked so much about herself she was bored but you can tell from the radio show that she loved to learn more about people and was generally interested.

O M G yes, her Let's Talk to Lucy just proves what a GREAT talk show host she would have been, just terrific shows, fantastic interviews.

I bought a copy so will let you know what it's like.  Item description says "Like New, removed from shrink wrap".  Hmmmmmm.....that would make it sound like it was a professional release.   Somehow I doubt it.

On some talk shows, particularly later ones, Lucy could come off as a bit crabby.  I seriously think she was doing a bit, acting annoyed to be funny.  Usually this was an unsuccessful attempt.  In this particular Dinah show, she seems genuinely crabby.  Dinah's trying to bring up Wildcat (to introduce  Valerie Harper), but Lucy is NOT in the mood to reminisce about the show.  I know she was trying to be funny but I didn't like it when she did her  "Who the hell cares?" bit.  Because my answer to that question was always I DO!

And in 1976, I still thought I was the only one. I had NO idea that the rest of you out there existed. And if you were around in 1976, were probably thinking the same thing.  In 1976, I Love Lucy was still thought of as a great TV show but had not yet gained its revered status as the greatest of all time.  We in Portland Oregon had not seen ILL in at least 6 or 7 years .  (though another channel--we only had 4 and PBS-- would pick it up in 1977 and give it the prime 7pm timeslot).  And Lucy was still putting out new product, though she only had three more originals to go: "Phones the President"  "Moves to NBC" and "Stone Pillow".  (not counting "CBS Salutes" as an original)

I bought a copy so will let you know what it's like.  Item description says "Like New, removed from shrink wrap".  Hmmmmmm.....that would make it sound like it was a professional release.   Somehow I doubt it.

On some talk shows, particularly later ones, Lucy could come off as a bit crabby.  I seriously think she was doing a bit, acting annoyed to be funny.  Usually this was an unsuccessful attempt.  In this particular Dinah show, she seems genuinely crabby.  Dinah's trying to bring up Wildcat (to introduce  Valerie Harper), but Lucy is NOT in the mood to reminisce about the show.  I know she was trying to be funny but I didn't like it when she did her  "Who the hell cares?" bit.  Because my answer to that question was always I DO!

And in 1976, I still thought I was the only one. I had NO idea that the rest of you out there existed. And if you were around in 1976, were probably thinking the same thing.  In 1976, I Love Lucy was still thought of as a great TV show but had not yet gained its revered status as the greatest of all time.  We in Portland Oregon had not seen ILL in at least 6 or 7 years .  (though another channel--we only had 4 and PBS-- would pick it up in 1977 and give it the prime 7pm timeslot).  And Lucy was still putting out new product, though she only had three more originals to go: "Phones the President"  "Moves to NBC" and "Stone Pillow".  (not counting "CBS Salutes" as an original)

Surely you realize that Lucy had been asked about that show a thousand times AND she was crabby because she was not working as much as she wanted.  As or CRABS, ever see the show, Mike Douglas and Lucy showing off her kids at the pool?  Every time she talked about those kids, she was sweet and lovely and almost all of Merv's shows again she was crab free.

I got my copy of this last night. The quality is about as good as I think you are going to get. Sound is fine, no tape rolls, I can see everyone clearly. No commercials but some parts just black for a while until we get back to the show, but the whole show is there. I saw this guy listed additional copies for sale if anyone wants to pick it up. Warning spoilers ahead.

Dinah and Lucy are up first on the couch and they talk a bit about Wildcat. Val comes out after playing let’s find Val’s name in the Playbill. They share a few stories and then get long winded trying to find out if the show played Boston and if anything changed during the previews. They apparently knew they played 7 weeks in Philly. This is where the “who the hell cares” is said. It’s actually rather funny. I thought Lucy might be in her crabby mode but she is rather delightful in this whole interview. I laughed for about a minute straight when Lucy trying to change the topic turns to Dinah and asks “How’s your sex life?” Public prude my ass. Turns out the lets figure out where the show played was Dinah just stalling until Carole is safely at the studio.

Lucy is wearing a very nice ruffled chiffon blouse which I think I may have a pic of. She has a fringed sash that drives me nutts as she keeps playing with it the whole show, but that’s better than the Wildcat Playbill she plays with the whole first segment. Insert Claude comments here.

Back from commercial and we get all 3 ladies center stage to sing Hey Look Me Over which Lucy seems surprised they are going to make her sing. It’s evident that this whole thing was rehearsed as there is a new verse and each one has a solo. Lucy starts us off and it is amazing to see this woman come alive. They all sound great.

Carol comes out to join them. She is a surprise and as Lucy picks up on the clues the delight on her face is great and when Dinah says Carol’s name Lucy throws her head back with excited claps. You knew when this woman loved someone as she would always hug them really tight and for a long time as she does here with Carol.

They go on to share some stories but I loved when they talked about Lucy throwing a baby shower for Carol as she was pregnant for 2 years and maybe this would make the baby come. This whole shower is the one Lucie describes at Carol’s Mark Twain tribute last year. It’s great to hear about it in more detail complete with R rated Gary shtick about the presents.

We are up to bringing Gale out who is a surprise. Once Lucy finds out it’s him she is delighted again. We are treated to a montage of let’s get Gale wet clips form TLS and HL and we learn all about his nickname Soggy Crotch. There is a funny bit where he picks up a seltzer bottle and aims it at Lucy who runs for cover hiding by the other ladies. Turns out it’s a gag that gets Gale shot in the face with it.

We then get a Q&A with the audience and Gary in the audience with the mic. Some questions: What is your favorite color. Lucy likes autumn colors with yellow being mentioned. To Carol and Lucy, do red heads have more fun than blondes? Lucy says she was both but she was young when she was a blonde. She doesn’t necessarily say that she had more fun after it went to red but said that she has had more fun since she has been with Gary. Do you have any regrets in your career or something you would have done differently? All answer no but Lucy does add that she would have liked to have more children. How do you all keep so young and beautiful? We start with this question being directed to Gale first. Most answer that their work keeps them young and Lucy adds that having kids late helped too.

There are things I know I forgot but it was a really fun hour and worth getting if you haven’t seen it.

I got my copy of this last night. The quality is about as good as I think you are going to get. Sound is fine, no tape rolls, I can see everyone clearly. No commercials but some parts just black for a while until we get back to the show, but the whole show is there. I saw this guy listed additional copies for sale if anyone wants to pick it up. Warning spoilers ahead.

Dinah and Lucy are up first on the couch and they talk a bit about Wildcat. Val comes out after playing let’s find Val’s name in the Playbill. They share a few stories and then get long winded trying to find out if the show played Boston and if anything changed during the previews. They apparently knew they played 7 weeks in Philly. This is where the “who the hell cares” is said. It’s actually rather funny. I thought Lucy might be in her crabby mode but she is rather delightful in this whole interview. I laughed for about a minute straight when Lucy trying to change the topic turns to Dinah and asks “How’s your sex life?” Public prude my ass. Turns out the lets figure out where the show played was Dinah just stalling until Carole is safely at the studio.

Lucy is wearing a very nice ruffled chiffon blouse which I think I may have a pic of. She has a fringed sash that drives me nutts as she keeps playing with it the whole show, but that’s better than the Wildcat Playbill she plays with the whole first segment. Insert Claude comments here.

Back from commercial and we get all 3 ladies center stage to sing Hey Look Me Over which Lucy seems surprised they are going to make her sing. It’s evident that this whole thing was rehearsed as there is a new verse and each one has a solo. Lucy starts us off and it is amazing to see this woman come alive. They all sound great.

Carol comes out to join them. She is a surprise and as Lucy picks up on the clues the delight on her face is great and when Dinah says Carol’s name Lucy throws her head back with excited claps. You knew when this woman loved someone as she would always hug them really tight and for a long time as she does here with Carol.

They go on to share some stories but I loved when they talked about Lucy throwing a baby shower for Carol as she was pregnant for 2 years and maybe this would make the baby come. This whole shower is the one Lucie describes at Carol’s Mark Twain tribute last year. It’s great to hear about it in more detail complete with R rated Gary shtick about the presents.

We are up to bringing Gale out who is a surprise. Once Lucy finds out it’s him she is delighted again. We are treated to a montage of let’s get Gale wet clips form TLS and HL and we learn all about his nickname Soggy Crotch. There is a funny bit where he picks up a seltzer bottle and aims it at Lucy who runs for cover hiding by the other ladies. Turns out it’s a gag that gets Gale shot in the face with it.

We then get a Q&A with the audience and Gary in the audience with the mic. Some questions: What is your favorite color. Lucy likes autumn colors with yellow being mentioned. To Carol and Lucy, do red heads have more fun than blondes? Lucy says she was both but she was young when she was a blonde. She doesn’t necessarily say that she had more fun after it went to red but said that she has had more fun since she has been with Gary. Do you have any regrets in your career or something you would have done differently? All answer no but Lucy does add that she would have liked to have more children. How do you all keep so young and beautiful? We start with this question being directed to Gale first. Most answer that their work keeps them young and Lucy adds that having kids late helped too.

There are things I know I forgot but it was a really fun hour and worth getting if you haven’t seen it.

THANKS FOR THAT, GREAT DESCRIPTION AND I JUST LOVE YOU FOR SHARING IT ALL WITH US HERE.

O M G yes, her Let's Talk to Lucy just proves what a GREAT talk show host she would have been, just terrific shows, fantastic interviews.

I got my copy too and Luv's description is accurate, but I'll add:

Having seen this when it was first on, I realize my memory of it has Lucy being more unpleasant than she really is.  And her "Hey Look Me Over" is spirited and she sings it well.  I do believe that during the last few high notes, she is just mouthing.  Doesn't seem like notes she could hit, but all in all: a good performance.  They had to compromise on the key: it seems a bit low for the other two.

A couple of inconsistencies:

there are two version of how Lucy came to guest  on "Carol Plus Two" the 1966 special they were talking about---both by Carol.

1.  Carol called Lucy with a lot of trepidation (though in 1966, Carol was not some beginner)  or 2.  Lucy found out about the special and Lucy called Carol and said "If ya need me, I'm available".

Carol mentions she was having trouble: that CBS wasn't all that interested.  She had had a couple of specials previously and I think they were all well-received so I don't know why CBS would be reluctant.

Another inconsistency: On this show, Lucy:  "All they took out were three "shushes"" (which would probably be in the opening "Oil" number), when they were doing the out of town tryouts in Philadelphia, which btw was 6 weeks.  The show didn't try out in any other city.  But with the Broadway run, the total number of performances was (roughly) 225.

But this contradicts Lucy on "Jack Paar" late December 1960: "They cut the book, maybe too much."

Lucy fell 30 feet from the top of the derrick? Don't know how anyone, including strapping Keith, could break a fall from that high.

And what about all those songs that didn't make it to Broadway "Ain't It Sad", "Angelina" "Far From the Home I Love" ?

If the version of "Wildcat" I saw on stage was any indication, the book needed a whole lot more work.

Another inconsistency about "Wildcat"---not noted here.  N. Richard Nash wrote this with Lucy in mind.  N. Richard had a 20-something leading lady in mind was aghast that someone as old as Lucy (48) was going to play it.

• Like 1

One thing I forgot they talked about was Lucy in the tank with the porpoise.  She makes references to the outtakes that exist.  She said what we know from watching it that she really was having a tough time in that tank, 45 mins.  The one porpoise one time even goes over to the trainer and asks in porpoise talk, who is this dame?  Lucy describes that the way porpoises investigate in the wild is to run their long snout along something.  Well apparently what they were doing was running it along her back and at times as you can see come up under her on the side.  She said I guess I was a good actress because they got me crying but that’s because that porpoise hit me in the kidneys.One thing I forgot they talked about was Lucy in the tank with the porpoise.  She makes references to the outtakes that exist.  She said what we know from watching it that she really was having a tough time in that tank, 45 mins.  The one porpoise one time even goes over to the trainer and asks in porpoise talk, who is this dame?  Lucy describes that the way porpoises investigate in the wild is to run their long snout along something.  Well apparently what they were doing was running it along her back and at times as you can see come up under her on the side.  She said I guess I was a good actress because they got me crying but that’s because that porpoise hit me in the kidneys.

One thing I forgot they talked about was Lucy in the tank with the porpoise.  She makes references to the outtakes that exist.  She said what we know from watching it that she really was having a tough time in that tank, 45 mins.  The one porpoise one time even goes over to the trainer and asks in porpoise talk, who is this dame?  Lucy describes that the way porpoises investigate in the wild is to run their long snout along something.  Well apparently what they were doing was running it along her back and at times as you can see come up under her on the side.  She said I guess I was a good actress because they got me crying but that’s because that porpoise hit me in the kidneys.One thing I forgot they talked about was Lucy in the tank with the porpoise.  She makes references to the outtakes that exist.  She said what we know from watching it that she really was having a tough time in that tank, 45 mins.  The one porpoise one time even goes over to the trainer and asks in porpoise talk, who is this dame?  Lucy describes that the way porpoises investigate in the wild is to run their long snout along something.  Well apparently what they were doing was running it along her back and at times as you can see come up under her on the side.  She said I guess I was a good actress because they got me crying but that’s because that porpoise hit me in the kidneys.

We heard you the first time, what is this, a rerun?  LOL!

You can't SPECT anybody to remember things that happened so many years ago to always be accurate.  Do love your insights and comments though.

SINCE YOU DO, WHY NOT OTHERS????  AS FOR ME, MY MEMORY IS SLIM AND LIMITED ONLY TO MY OWN LIFE RATHER THAN OTHERS; NOT THAT I HAVE ANYTHING TO HIDE OR BE CAREFUL ABOUT TALKING ABOUT; BUT, I'M MY OWN RESPONSIBLITY AS WE ALL SHOULD BE.

SINCE YOU DO, WHY NOT OTHERS????  AS FOR ME, MY MEMORY IS SLIM AND LIMITED ONLY TO MY OWN LIFE RATHER THAN OTHERS; NOT THAT I HAVE ANYTHING TO HIDE OR BE CAREFUL ABOUT TALKING ABOUT; BUT, I'M MY OWN RESPONSIBLITY AS WE ALL SHOULD BE.

I was referring to certain behind the scenes people who worked on her shows remembering things differently from what really happened.

Okay, you dodged those two questions, I guess.  No catching you, is there?

No, you were right about what you said, however, i too have made many mistakes in the things i remember from way back then, Harry catches me at it many many time.  And also, i think, five different people can remember the same incident in various different ways.