The Lucy Show Season 3: Reviews and First Impressions!

Its been said that Lucy In London is incredibly hard to get released because of all the guest starts and songs thats are included on it, get the releases and through the red tape is near impossible... maybe the same would be for Lucy In Nashville.

Personally I dont understand that, if somewhere appears in a show or has a song used in it they sign a contract and get paid for it so in my view that performance/appearance then become part of that show and should be owned by the company that produces it. Maybe I just have a simple outlook on life LOL

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been said that Lucy In London is incredibly hard to get released because of all the guest starts and songs thats are included on it, get the releases and through the red tape is near impossible... maybe the same would be for Lucy In Nashville.

Personally I dont understand that, if somewhere appears in a show or has a song used in it they sign a contract and get paid for it so in my view that performance/appearance then become part of that show and should be owned by the company that produces it. Maybe I just have a simple outlook on life LOL

LOL! Maybe, yeah, LOL! But if they did more of that, it would give us lots of great entertainment that's still in limbo but that we should be seeing. Lucy's LONDON was a very different special, sort of like her Stone Pillow of Specials, where she at last attempted something very new and different and surrounded herself with great people in very different situations with even some of the OLD Lucy thrown in for good measure. The MUSIC was exceptional, the supporting cast exquisite, the writing top notch and the producing team settled on a locale that Lucy had only broached once before, here she is given full reign and she definitely should have gotten an Emmy for herself and for the show for this one of a kind SPECIAL. Anthony Newley sang great songs and was a HUGE star at that time and i repeat, Lucy should have done more of these set in other exotic locales, now we'd have a Round the World with Lucy series of dvd's to look forward to seeing released, LOL!

LOL! Maybe, yeah, LOL! But if they did more of that, it would give us lots of great entertainment that's still in limbo but that we should be seeing. Lucy's LONDON was a very different special, sort of like her Stone Pillow of Specials, where she at last attempted something very new and different and surrounded herself with great people in very different situations with even some of the OLD Lucy thrown in for good measure. The MUSIC was exceptional, the supporting cast exquisite, the writing top notch and the producing team settled on a locale that Lucy had only broached once before, here she is given full reign and she definitely should have gotten an Emmy for herself and for the show for this one of a kind SPECIAL. Anthony Newley sang great songs and was a HUGE star at that time and i repeat, Lucy should have done more of these set in other exotic locales, now we'd have a Round the World with Lucy series of dvd's to look forward to seeing released, LOL!

But whats with Anthony's accent.... if I didnt know better I would say it was a fake English accent LOL

Re: The writing did you know they were writing it as they went along LOL Still it worked so maybe they should have done more like that ;-)

Round the world series would be awesome

But whats with Anthony's accent.... if I didnt know better I would say it was a fake English accent LOL

Re: The writing did you know they were writing it as they went along LOL Still it worked so maybe they should have done more like that ;-)

Round the world series would be awesome

When he talks he sounds normal but when he sings he had this weird weird nasal quality that is just indescribable, comics used to make fun of him all the time. BUT, what makes him great on this show is his concert at the end is a series of terrific hit songs that he MADE hits all over the world. Around the world with Lucy would have been something really special, she touched upon most subjects on he 500 plus shows but filming in these various exotic locales would have opened up the writing for some different things for her.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shows in season three of this series. Very good acting and writing and some of the shows are just classic bits of timeless comedy that will last forever. The good skate, coin collector, Danny Kaye, chocolate cake contact lens, and even disc jockey and beauty doctor had their moments. I could have lived without MONSTERS and the one where they go back to being kids, but the ones with Ann Sothern were just so terrific, season three was a real gem, Lucy coming into her own with this series, not blah like the first season, where she was so normal and ordinary and in black and white. Lucy was made for color and looks exceptional in these shows where even in drab and regular outfits she still looks great but then shines when made up to look like the superstar she is as in My Fair Lady. But the brilliant Ceramic Cat ep is probably my all time favorite for this particular season. When she repeatedly kisses that robotic man, when i crack up every time i watch that one.

So far, I've only gotten through one disc but I'm absolutely loving this season, real laugh out loud comedy. Plus the quality of the picture is amazingly clear, same with the last season. Plus this might have to be my favorite opening, all I know is that I really hated second season's, no idea why. Cannot wait to finish it.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1293471649' post='4927]

So far, I've only gotten through one disc but I'm absolutely loving this season, real laugh out loud comedy. Plus the quality of the picture is amazingly clear, same with the last season. Plus this might have to be my favorite opening, all I know is that I really hated second season's, no idea why. Cannot wait to finish it.

Love your avatar, Lucy looked the best she ever did at the end of her life on that magical night.

Season Four, lasting throughout the series. Except for a brief interlude with Lucy's severed head in Season Five:

Oh my, must have been for the Halloween show, scary stuff. I guess the idea was for a BOUNCING BALL. But i agree the severed head thing is not really appropriate here, i'll never forget the time i saw, ON THE NET, kids in Brazil, playing with a REAL severed head, using it for soccer practice, needless to say it was a mafia type hit.

It reminds me of an ad I have somewhere for the Lucy Show, it featured the whole ball thing but not the severed head. Gave it and some others to Tom Watson so they might be in the later DVD's

Speaking of the people responsible for the dvds, who the heck is to blame for that note saying Edward Stevenson won the Oscar with Hedda Hopper instead of the real person Edith Head?

Oh my, must have been for the Halloween show, scary stuff. I guess the idea was for a BOUNCING BALL. But i agree the severed head thing is not really appropriate here, i'll never forget the time i saw, ON THE NET, kids in Brazil, playing with a REAL severed head, using it for soccer practice, needless to say it was a mafia type hit.

"Severed Head" ran on at least two episodes: "George Burns" and "Submarine"...but no more than three.

Perhaps it was inspired by the Lucy&Viv as kids scene from 3rd season "Stockbroker":

Viv: I can kick over my head.

Lucy: Well, kick it over and I'll kick it back.

I've always wanted to know WHO devised these opening credits. Does anyone know? I don't know of another series that changed them so drastically year to year. (TV scholars: is there one?) They're all so imaginative*, especially season 3 and the kaleidoscope, although the latter has been run so much it's creativity is dulled by repetition. Both of them weave the basic theme song throughout but if you didn't know the tune, it's barely recognizable.

*although the second season DVD set's version of the opening credits is a vast improvement on the original.

"Severed Head" ran on at least two episodes: "George Burns" and "Submarine"...but no more than three.

Perhaps it was inspired by the Lucy&Viv as kids scene from 3rd season "Stockbroker":

Viv: I can kick over my head.

Lucy: Well, kick it over and I'll kick it back.

I've always wanted to know WHO devised these opening credits. Does anyone know? I don't know of another series that changed them so drastically year to year. (TV scholars: is there one?) They're all so imaginative*, especially season 3 and the kaleidoscope, although the latter has been run so much it's creativity is dulled by repetition. Both of them weave the basic theme song throughout but if you didn't know the tune, it's barely recognizable.

*although the second season DVD set's version of the opening credits is a vast improvement on the original.

I can't wait for the trippy psychedelic kaleidoscope opening from season 4. So far season 3's opening is my favorite because it's so fun and bouncy and cartoony.

I can't wait for the trippy psychedelic kaleidoscope opening from season 4. So far season 3's opening is my favorite because it's so fun and bouncy and cartoony.

Oh and i'm sure the fact that she goes up in those balloons at the end of it is a factor in your love for it too, LOL! I think it's great BECAUSE it shows so many great scenes from the series. I hate that skiing shot though, who ever heard of being on skies and going up instead of down?

Oh I am sure that a few seconds of color clips from s2 would have done just as well as the b/w ones. I know at the time the whole shows were shown in b/w, but as the series was now in color, it still seems strange showing b/w footage in the middle of color footage.

You're right, it is quite jarring however there were no shows that equalled the impact of the ones shown in black and white, those particular shows were classics that defined the greatness of the entire series, hence their being included. Just as one associates Job Switching or Vitameatavegiman with ILL's very best, the STILTS clip is a true classic from the Lucy Show series. And although her doing Chaplin was not as funny as it was classic, it did personify the often made statement that she was to TV what Chaplin was to movies.

You're right, it is quite jarring however there were no shows that equalled the impact of the ones shown in black and white, those particular shows were classics that defined the greatness of the entire series, hence their being included. Just as one associates Job Switching or Vitameatavegiman with ILL's very best, the STILTS clip is a true classic from the Lucy Show series. And although her doing Chaplin was not as funny as it was classic, it did personify the often made statement that she was to TV what Chaplin was to movies.

Well said! I think those clips stand on their own and should have been included, DESPITE them being in black & white!

Archived