When she kisses them they stay kissed

Luvsbway

A passage from some biographical notes currently on ebay.  Handwritten by Lucy.  They look to be maybe for an article or something told in flashback.  Originally came from Mike McClay who is the son of Howard McClay Lucy's press guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331502788762?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kissed my first boy Theodore- can’t remember his last name-but I could still see his big brown eyes and hear his surprised yelp!  I threw him down inside a bakery truck we were playing in on our way home from school- 3rd grade-He got a bump on his head which he reported to various people and I never could convince him it was love.

A passage from some biographical notes currently on ebay.  Handwritten by Lucy.  They look to be maybe for an article or something told in flashback.  Originally came from Mike McClay who is the son of Howard McClay Lucy's press guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331502788762?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kissed my first boy Theodore- can’t remember his last name-but I could still see his big brown eyes and hear his surprised yelp!  I threw him down inside a bakery truck we were playing in on our way home from school- 3rd grade-He got a bump on his head which he reported to various people and I never could convince him it was love.

She could be such a slut sometimes, LOL!

But dat's so cute doe.   :peachonthebeach:

Awww, I always knew Mooney and Loosil had a past connection :wub:

Are these supposedly Lucille's words?  I'm trying to think where she would have lived in third grade - I'm THINKING, at 8,  it was with the Petersons - wherever.  Now to find when DeDe, as a young widow (Lucille 3); when they came back home; when DeDe married Swede Peterson; and forward; when Lola and 'sis' moved, with Dede, Freddie, Lucille, into Celoron house, with Daddy and Grandmother Hunt; when she died (in that house).

. . . . . . . . . .  better get busy researching where she and Mama lived then.  I don't think she came to 59 8th until about her 10th year of life. that would make it 1921; - [i DO know she went to 9th grade with my Auntie Helen; so, that was Celoron; she was 14]  now, we have to find the date of the gun 'incident'; when Faulkners took over the house;  when Aunt Lola died; when DeDe married the Swede; when he died; when they left Stewart Avenue; guess that would be when DeDe was preggers with LB; Freddie didn't get 'planted' until out west; cause DeDe was with child when they came home and buried husband #1, LB's father;; where they lived after that; [just thinking while I'm typing here donchano; so ignore it; will need it when I research to refer to] -  they all came to live with Daddy and Grandmother Hunt = let me wrap my head around this a cuppla days - there are so many WRONG dates

Perhaps if we put all the dates in order; we can come up with a legitimate chronology of those events....let's try - I'm looking, here, for anyone who can supply KNOWN dates for me; otherwise, it's gonna take me a ton of time; something I don't have.  ANYONE have any sure-thin's????

Let's get cracking!!!!

In the meantime, I'm gonna copy this post; send myself an e-mail; and start putting some dates in order.  With each of you experts, we should be able to do this fairly quickly.  WHADDYASAY????

These are Lucy’s words in her handwriting. Check out the link. She gives some information on a timeline when she talks about events based either on her age or grade in these bio pages. I have another section I transcribed I’ll post tonight where she talks about the Ed marriage and gives her age on that one. She makes 2 indications in this bio about living with Aunt Lola and Uncle George when they were newlyweds.

As for a timeline the best source other than her own book I have found is the Scrapbook CD Rom because there is a lot of date and location info in that. Problem is I need to make my computer think it’s 1998 again and it isn’t easy.

I think Lucy talks about it in her book but the surprise birthday party she was to get but Grandma Peterson told her and took all the fun out of it was her 9th birthday. She mentions it in this bio and says it was her 9th birthday. So my guess is she was living with the Petersons at that time. But she could have just as easily been living elsewhere and still had grandma spoil the surprise.

These are Lucy’s words in her handwriting. Check out the link. She gives some information on a timeline when she talks about events based either on her age or grade in these bio pages. I have another section I transcribed I’ll post tonight where she talks about the Ed marriage and gives her age on that one. She makes 2 indications in this bio about living with Aunt Lola and Uncle George when they were newlyweds.

As for a timeline the best source other than her own book I have found is the Scrapbook CD Rom because there is a lot of date and location info in that. Problem is I need to make my computer think it’s 1998 again and it isn’t easy.

I think Lucy talks about it in her book but the surprise birthday party she was to get but Grandma Peterson told her and took all the fun out of it was her 9th birthday. She mentions it in this bio and says it was her 9th birthday. So my guess is she was living with the Petersons at that time. But she could have just as easily been living elsewhere and still had grandma spoil the surprise.

Grandma Peterson seems to have a BIG mouth, love her for that.

Would LOVE the Lola/George dates; have NOT run across them to this time; do NOT have the CD for the scrapbook; so, ANY dates we can assemble around those of Lucille would be wonderful not only to add to the chronology; but, to do our timeline for our Lounge experts - putting it is order, YEP, that's my goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Loving you for contributing;  together we CAN!!!!!  Loving you, JK

The THING about Lucille's book is the lack of appropriate month, days, years - that's been my problem for 10 full years - having to make do with approximates - so, any of those positive DATES  I MUST HAVE!!!!!  Thanks for supplying - you are the best.  Loving you, JK

Here is what i can get out of that bio.

7 years- DeDe and Ed got married.  Around this time Lucy was living with Aunt Cleo and Uncle George who were newlyweds.

7 1/2 years living with the Petersons.  Now Lucy says in a Look article in 71' that she thought this was like 3 years she lived with them, but her  mom said it was more like 3 months.

8 years old she remembers her Grandmother Hunt's garden

Another passage from the letter.

7 years-

My mother’s Wedding Day- My stepfather Ed Peterson- so tall and ugly handsome- he looked like the King of Sweden- I decided that many years later. I was not at the wedding. I don’t even know where they were married- I never thought to ask- but after the wedding they came to my Aunt Lola’s where I was living and my brother Fred and I were waiting eagerly to kiss them and see their happy faces. I remember asking Ed if we should call him Daddy-He said no.  His answer was abrupt and startling- that’s why I remember- I guess DeDe so much wanted a Daddy.

This is my 'put in order' SO FAR research; I'll add to it as I find appropriate date to do so; and THANKS, luvs, about the George and Lola reference; LET'S SEE WHERE THAT FITS IN MY RESEARCH LAST EVENING; PUTTING IT IN ORDER THIS MORNING.

Had, DeDe (married 9/1/1910), MOVED to Montana; guess that would be when DeDe was preggers with LB;

Back to Jamestown 11 monthhs later for birth of Lucille, 8/6/11; Lucille, DeDe and Had left Stewart Avenue (Hunts) shortly after Lucille's birth; back to Montana to Had's workplace; Had was stricken; late February 1915; on way home for doctoring; Had died in Michigan on the way home;

Freddie didn't get 'planted' until out west; cause DeDe was with child when they came home and buried husband #1, LB's father, Had; approximately 3/1,2/15; Lucille had little exposure to the Ball family;

Freddie born 7/17/15; DeDe with the Hunts and 18-year old Lola; for birth of Freddie, 1 month shy of Lucille's 4th birthday – 8/6/15;

Once back in Jamestown (1915), WIDOW DeDe moves back in w/Hunts (assumably Stewart Avenue);

DeDe takes job 4/1917 in factory, where she meets Ed;

Married Ed 9/17/18 - [divorced ?]  he died 4/5/1943

Lola returns to her parents to give birth to Cleo (5/12/19);

DeDe left for Detroit where Ed had a job; leaving Lucille with Grandparents Peterson; Lucille in first grade, she was near age 8; Freddie went to live with the Hunts; he was 3 (Brady book Lucille, page 9:  Lucille at Peterson's until age 12, from age 8); nearly 4 years

Lola still was living with parents, with baby, Cleo, separated from husband;

Brought DeDe home from Detroit mid-1922, to take care of mother, in Celoron, who died soon thereafter (7/1/22)

Lucille, from Petersons to Hunts in Celoron, 1922;; Flora (mid-50s) ill with cancer; (Lucille, now 11, nearly 12); Cleo lived, with Lola, in Celoron until Daddy lost the house.

DeDe and Ed worked (not clear if Ed lived in Celoron); moved, after gun incident, incident' (7/1-4/27);

By July,1928, Daddy was foreclosed on; went bankrupt; short time to jail;

Lucille & Freddie & Ed & DeDe lived East 5th St. apartment building Jamestown

Faulkners took over the house (1928;)

When Aunt Lola died 8/15/30, (Cleo shipped off to father in Buffalo) – age 11;

That's as far as I could stay awake for last evening; will continue and add to this 'private chronology' as we go along - please feel free to inform me of differing dates you may have from this list so far.  THANKS....JK

In the scrapbook CD Rom there are pages kept in a family record keeping book that over the years had dates recorded in it. Here is what I was able to pull. A headstone in a cemetery trumps these dates.

The Hunts were married on April 10, 1889

I have Lucy’s parents being married Aug 31, 1910 (so I am 1 day off)

Lola and George were married Oct 22, 1917

Cleo’s middle name was Marion

Death dates:

Ed- April 8, 1943 at 59 years (this is different then what you have)

Lola – 1927 no other dates

Lucy’s dad- Feb 28, 1915

Here is what i can get out of that bio.

7 years- DeDe and Ed got married.  Around this time Lucy was living with Aunt Cleo and Uncle George who were newlyweds.

7 1/2 years living with the Petersons.  Now Lucy says in a Look article in 71' that she thought this was like 3 years she lived with them, but her  mom said it was more like 3 months.

8 years old she remembers her Grandmother Hunt's garden

I'm working on dates from Brady, Kathleen - Lucille - The Life of Lucille Ball - I differ with Lucille being in first grade at 7, unless they held her back from school; when DeDe came home after Had died, she stayed with her parents, and Lola, who was 18; so, Lucille and Fred, newly born, must have been with her there.  Lola's marriage to George didn't last long after birth of Cleo.

Brady, p. 9 - here is mention of Lola and George, and having birthed Cleo, when Lucille was 9 years old - a visit to the Hunts, in Celoron, 1920,  from Peterson's; mention is made on p. 9, also that she, indeed, was with the Peterson's from her 8th to 12th years of age. 

DeDe and Ed return from Detroit in early 1922; and she took Lucille from Peterson's to Celoron house.  Lola was living there, separated from husband, with Cleo.  If, in fact, it was early 1922, Lucille was still 11; but, IN HER 12th year.

In the scrapbook CD Rom there are pages kept in a family record keeping book that over the years had dates recorded in it. Here is what I was able to pull. A headstone in a cemetery trumps these dates.

The Hunts were married on April 10, 1889

I have Lucy’s parents being married Aug 31, 1910 (so I am 1 day off)

Lola and George were married Oct 22, 1917

Cleo’s middle name was Marion

Death dates:

Ed- April 8, 1943 at 59 years is is different then what you have) Living with Grandma Peterson in 1934 - Brady, p. 55 - ill from hard drinking; Grandpa Peterson has passed by this time; Ed and DeDe (living and working in Washington, DC) are separated by 1934.

At least we know he died in 1943

Lola – 1927 no other dates  - BRADY, P.34 - Lola dies August, 1930

Lucy’s dad- Feb 28, 1915

Still in Brady book -

When Aunt Lola died 8/15/30, (Cleo, age 11; shipped off to father in Buffalo/graduated high school in Buffalo NY; then, moved to California to be with Lucille)

In late June 1934, prior to filming Eddie Cantor's Kid Millions, Lucille returned to Jamestown; broke up with Johnny; since he would not re-locate to California;

Lucille stayed with Grandma Peterson that trip, and Lucille begged Grandma to come to California with her.  She would not. Brady, p. 55

Lucille gave her first newspaper interview while on this trip home - [finally getting the local recognition she obviously deserved]

Keep going - we are doing good.

I have a pic with Lucy and Grandma Peterson. It looks late 30s. Will post when I can.

OH, WOW! Can't wait to see THAT.

Here's something I found accidentally, don't have TOTAL RECALL like others:

End of June, 1934:

Lucille Ball, prior to beginning Goldwyn Studios', Eddie Cantor film, Kid Millions, went home to Jamestown, NY, for a visit with Grandmother Peterson, DeDe's mother-in-law, who took care of Lucille from age eight to twelve; and invited her to return with her to California. Grandmother Peterson refused, [brady, Kathleen, page 54], late June 1934.

Lucille Ball, one of the dozen girls who went to California in July of 1933, is one of four still working for Goldwyn, [brady, page 52]  late this month in 1934.

Lucille Ball, while in Jamestown for a visit, gives her first newspaper interview, no doubt having been prompted by a United Artist press agent wiring: 'Jamestown has a right to be proud of this beauteous girl who has become internationally famous as foremost of the Goldwyn Girls, the cream of American pulchritude,' [brady, page 55]; a local news reporter, unnamed, becomes the first in a long line of journalists to note that despite her success, she remains down to earth; 'her rise in the cinema world has not made her assume any of the airs and graces usually assumed by successful actresses,' [brady, page 55], late June, 1934.

Archived