Lucy Variety Show Appearances

There are several variety shows that Lucy appeared on that I never hear anyone mention. Lucy was a guest on The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on September 28, 1971. Has anyone ever seen this? This isn't even mentioned in Fidelman's Lucy Book.

Several months later, Lucy appeared on The David Frost Revue. This was at the same time Frost appeared on Here's Lucy. Fidelman gives no information about Lucy's episode other than he doesn't think it was any good.

In August 1975, Lucy, Liza Minnelli, Henry Gibson, and Doug Henning guest starred in the premiere of The Dick Cavett Show. This was a variety series that ran four weeks in the summer of 1975. I didn't even know this show existed until today. It would be interesting to see Lucy interact with Liza.

I wonder if Lucy had any musical numbers on any of them. It does not look like any of these shows are avaliable anywhere. The Paley Center for Media does not have them in their collection. Has anyone seen any of these programs?

There are several variety shows that Lucy appeared on that I never hear anyone mention. Lucy was a guest on The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on September 28, 1971. Has anyone ever seen this? This isn't even mentioned in Fidelman's Lucy Book.

Several months later, Lucy appeared on The David Frost Revue. This was at the same time Frost appeared on Here's Lucy. Fidelman gives no information about Lucy's episode other than he doesn't think it was any good.

In August 1975, Lucy, Liza Minnelli, Henry Gibson, and Doug Henning guest starred in the premiere of The Dick Cavett Show. This was a variety series that ran four weeks in the summer of 1975. I didn't even know this show existed until today. It would be interesting to see Lucy interact with Liza.

I wonder if Lucy had any musical numbers on any of them. It does not look like any of these shows are avaliable anywhere. The Paley Center for Media does not have them in their collection. Has anyone seen any of these programs?

Now you see, i was wondering just the other day why Lucy had never been on Glen's show, he was just HER type of entertainer, good wholesome fun and a terrific talent to boot and on CBS yet. Bad enough she never went on The Smothers Brothers or Sonny and Cher, although she did Cher's ultra crappy special which she shouldn't have after seeing them waste her talent. So, you're telling me the clip we saw of Lucy and Burnett with Frost was on his regular talk show? Fiddlesticks didn't think her appearance was any good, yeah, right, did he ever like anything she did post ILL? I have no recollection of a Dick Cavett Revue, but if it only ran a few weeks, maybe i've just forgotten, i just can't see having missed it when it played.

Now you see, i was wondering just the other day why Lucy had never been on Glen's show, he was just HER type of entertainer, good wholesome fun and a terrific talent to boot and on CBS yet. Bad enough she never went on The Smothers Brothers or Sonny and Cher, although she did Cher's ultra crappy special which she shouldn't have after seeing them waste her talent. So, you're telling me the clip we saw of Lucy and Burnett with Frost was on his regular talk show? Fiddlesticks didn't think her appearance was any good, yeah, right, did he ever like anything she did post ILL? I have no recollection of a Dick Cavett Revue, but if it only ran a few weeks, maybe i've just forgotten, i just can't see having missed it when it played.

The David Frost Show with Lucy and Carol was his talk show. Lucy was on it a few times. Frost had a variety show, which I believe might have been in first-run syndication, at the same time.

I was able to see a pristine copy of "Glen Campbell" a few years ago. I don't have a copy, but I remember she had some sort of 'showgirl' number at the end. Even at 60, NOBODY had the showgirl grace and posture Lucy had. However, she didn't sing. The number is interrupted by Gale Gordon who enters and yells "Lucille! Get back to work" then he notices the audience and joins in the performance of the rest of the number. Interesting the for a moment they were the Lucy and Harry characters. Lucy appeared on "Make Room for Granddaddy" as Lucy Carter, but I can't think of another show where both of them appeared as their "Here's Lucy" characters.

"The David Frost Revue" was a half-hour syndicated show and was just skits. The only Lucy-skit I remember had the two of them as strangers meeting on a flight. (shades of "Night-Night"!) David seemed uncomfortable as an skit actor and it didn't seem to be done before a live audience. I probably have an audio version of Lucy's skit somewhere.

I have no knowledge of Lucy appearing on "The Dick Cavett Revue". I was pretty good about paying attention to Lucy listings in TV Guide. How do you hear about Lucy being on it? Do you have the exact date?

The Dick Cavett Show aired August 16, 1975. I found a New York Times review of the show. It says that the guests were "Liza Minnelli, Henry Gibson, Lucille Ball, and Doug Henning of Broadway's 'The Magic Show.'" The only further mention of Lucy was in a summary of the show: "Cavett rang up Lucille Ball who thought he was a heavy breather." I wonder if this was Lucy's sole contribution to the show. I also wonder if it was done in New York. Liza was doing "Chicago" on Broadway beginning in August of 1975 and one of the songs the review mentions her singing is "I Am My Own Best Friend," which is from "Chicago." Perhaps Lucy's segment was filmed in California while the rest was done in New York?

Archived