Holiday In Havanna

Luvsbway

• 6 months later...

This is playing right this minute on Get-tv. I've never seen it but it (so far) seems to be a nice little showcase for Desi. It seems to be for Desi what the Fuller Brush Girl was for Lucy in the way it precludes his tv character. Ha!!! He just exploded in Spainish at some lady. More critique to come..

.. I'm assuming this picture played as matinee or second feature filler.. I can't see this as anything first rate, however the music is really nice. It really is .. I wonder if Desi played these songs on Your Tropical Trip?? ... I wonder if this was like "See your favorite radio Stars"..maybe Your Tropical Trip was coinciding with this picture.. giving Desi exposure and establishing him as THE Cuban Orchestra Leader. . Desi sure knows how to work that orchestra. I never noticed his sexiness in front of the band on I Love Lucy like I notice it here... I bet live at night clubs it was "on" in full force.

"Rumba" this is his first number..as the pics above illustrate.

I guess I missed how it happened... but from buss boy to Orchestra Leader..in nothing flat!

Hey!!! The "Straw Hat Song" .. I like that song.. I like when the horns take over the melody..I guess that would be the sax solo?? Boy that Desi Arnaz can be sweet without being saccharin... A very good and endearing trait. On I Love Lucy he's dances with the cleaning woman who we never see or hear from again. In this version a little girl is involved where our cleaning lady would have.

I understand WHY the movie careers of both Lucy and Desi were kind stalled by the late 40s... neither one of them were offered very good scripts don't you guys think so?

I imagine that "star" thing is a maddening amount of work and stress. I mean so many factors come into play... script, director, editing, promotions, lighting, make up... all cumulating together to build public interest and fandom.

Hmm.. "Made for Each Other"...-my only exposure to this was on the "Home Movies" documentary. It's a pretty song

I have always liked Desi's Orchestra..the arrangements and the "sound" it had. Different from Xavier Cugot..a bit saucier.

Wow this Carnival they have in Cuba is a pretty big deal..I didn't realize how the whole city joins in the fun.

Ugh !!! This damn digital antenna..one minute it cuts out..next it plays fine...

This last song during Cuban Carnival is "Holiday in Havana" ... not a keeper in my book .. but the title of the movie so I guess it had to happen at some point.. hmmm Desi looks like "Elvis in Vegas" in his white outfit!! (maybe Elvis copied Desi lol)

That's it? It's over?!!? Hell I'd thought I'd hear Babaloo at some point. Oh well

Well... it was a cute vehicle to get Desi before the cameras.

Have any of you seen this picture? I'm curious on the background info or your opinion of it. :)

Hmm.. "Made for Each Other"...-my only exposure to this was on the "Home Movies" documentary. It's a pretty song

I have always liked Desi's Orchestra..the arrangements and the "sound" it had. Different from Xavier Cugot..a bit saucier.

Wow this Carnival they have in Cuba is a pretty big deal..I didn't realize how the whole city joins in the fun.

Ugh !!! This damn digital antenna..one minute it cuts out..next it plays fine...

This last song during Cuban Carnival is "Holiday in Havana" ... not a keeper in my book .. but the title of the movie so I guess it had to happen at some point.. hmmm Desi looks like "Elvis in Vegas" in his white outfit!! (maybe Elvis copied Desi lol)

That's it? It's over?!!? Hell I'd thought I'd hear Babaloo at some point. Oh well

Well... it was a cute vehicle to get Desi before the cameras.

Have any of you seen this picture? I'm curious on the background info or your opinion of it. :)

That WAS Betty Grable, wasn't it?  :fabrary:

• 2 years later...