Lucy and gay rights

chedderchester

But what the heck has it got to do with the topic?

Natural progression of a conversation.  At the beginning, a question was asked about Desi's views on LGBT.  I mentioned what Cesar Romero had claimed about an incident between him and Desi. You replied that there probably wasn't much to that and mentioned how Desi used to share women with band mates.  I asked if Fred B. was involved in those activities and you said Fred used to procure hookers for Desi.  I wondered whether this may be why it appeared Lucy had left Fred out of her will, and I  questioned their relationship after she divorced Desi.  Then Brock pointed out that Lucy mentioned "Fred and his kids" on Johnny Carson, indicating Lucy still remained close him.  Lee Norman then asked about Fred's kids and a discussion of Fred's kids ensued; hence, the video of Pam.

Natural progression of a conversation.  At the beginning, a question was asked about Desi's views on LGBT.  I mentioned what Cesar Romero had claimed about an incident between him and Desi. You replied that there probably wasn't much to that and mentioned how Desi used to share women with band mates.  I asked if Fred B. was involved in those activities and you said Fred used to procure hookers for Desi.  I wondered whether this may be why it appeared Lucy had left Fred out of her will, and I  questioned their relationship after she divorced Desi.  Then Brock pointed out that Lucy mentioned "Fred and his kids" on Johnny Carson, indicating Lucy still remained close him.  Lee Norman then asked about Fred's kids and a discussion of Fred's kids ensued; hence, the video of Pam.

Ricky:  this happens MUCH within the Lounge!  Guess we all have to just roll with the punches...... Have patience, and faith, we are ALL here with the same topic in mind; though much is NOT about Lucille and company.....  Loving you, JK

• Like 1

Oh ok then, i just thought the Pam video was about HEARING  so i wondered what it had to do with all this.  You're right, i sit corrected. 

• 1 month later...

Whether or not Desi and Cesar  shared a moment of drunken splendor together (and I have strong doubts about this alleged tryst considering the author who first published it has a long history of claiming like 95 percent of Hollywood is gay or bisexual and couldn't wait to blab all their secrets to him)  I am quite certain Cesar Romero never told anybody any story along those lines.  For one thing he was a longtime friend of Lucy (and was to her dying day) and I don't think he would have allowed it to happen any more than he would have talked about it afterwards if it had happened.  And Lucy's own story about Cesar in Jim Brochu's book is vivid proof how meek he was talking about his personal emotions something that he had thoroughout his life.  In the A&E Biography on him, Miss Ruta Lee states he was very close buddy for decades but he never spoke of his sexual orientation to anyone to her knowledge though she like Lucy figured out he was gay. 

Lucy on the subject:

How do you feel about gay rights?

It's perfectly all right with me. Some of the most gifted people I've ever met or read about are homosexual. How can you knock it?

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20075802,00.html

The thing that is so wonderful about Lucy is that while plenty if not most of the surviving golden era Hollywood divas had their own personal little cliques of gay male fans and were ok with this, for a lot of them it was more like "You have the right to fawn over me"  whereas Lucy appears to have been a true friend to the many gay men in her life and was truly respectful and open-minded as this comment suggests.  You won't find many if any such public comments in profiles of most of the classic movie queens back in the 1980's.  I remember several years later in People, Ms. Joan Collins was rather offensive in her "acceptance" when asked about her opinions of homosexuals saying something like "If two hairdressers want to live together, that's perfectly fine with me". 

And let's not forget Bette Midler - Bette Midler!!!!! :lucywow:  - less than a decade ago had a mini scandal with an Advocate interviewer when she declined to publicly endorse the idea of gay marriage.

The thing that is so wonderful about Lucy is that while plenty if not most of the surviving golden era Hollywood divas had their own personal little cliques of gay male fans and were ok with this, for a lot of them it was more like "You have the right to fawn over me"  whereas Lucy appears to have been a true friend to the many gay men in her life and was truly respectful and open-minded as this comment suggests.  You won't find many if any such public comments in profiles of most of the classic movie queens back in the 1980's.  I remember several years later in People, Ms. Joan Collins was rather offensive in her "acceptance" when asked about her opinions of homosexuals saying something like "If two hairdressers want to live together, that's perfectly fine with me". 

And let's not forget Bette Midler - Bette Midler!!!!! :lucywow:  - less than a decade ago had a mini scandal with an Advocate interviewer when she declined to publicly endorse the idea of gay marriage.

I'd heard about Midler's reticence. I seem to recall that Roseanne Barr got into hot water over comments she made as well, something along the lines of, "I've never known any gay people who care about any issues other than the ones that concern them." She immediately backtracked and has been a very progressive personality since.

I'd heard about Midler's reticence. I seem to recall that Roseanne Barr got into hot water over comments she made as well, something along the lines of, "I've never known any gay people who care about any issues other than the ones that concern them." She immediately backtracked and has been a very progressive personality since.

Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, Roseanne is on OUR side, look at every episode of her show, so many gay references, cast members  and tolerant views.  As for Bette, i think it's normal, she just didn't want to commit back then but i also firmly believe she's always been in our camp and will be forever.  But don't go by me, i look at everything, lately i'm pissed at Jimmy Kimmel for having that homophobe adam corolla on his show so often.  And on the night of Jenner making his first appearance too, just happy they did not talk about it.

Whether or not Desi and Cesar  shared a moment of drunken splendor together (and I have strong doubts about this alleged tryst considering the author who first published it has a long history of claiming like 95 percent of Hollywood is gay or bisexual and couldn't wait to blab all their secrets to him)  I am quite certain Cesar Romero never told anybody any story along those lines.  For one thing he was a longtime friend of Lucy (and was to her dying day) and I don't think he would have allowed it to happen any more than he would have talked about it afterwards if it had happened.  And Lucy's own story about Cesar in Jim Brochu's book is vivid proof how meek he was talking about his personal emotions something that he had thoroughout his life.  In the A&E Biography on him, Miss Ruta Lee states he was very close buddy for decades but he never spoke of his sexual orientation to anyone to her knowledge though she like Lucy figured out he was gay. 

I normally agree with everything you say but not this Romero business, yes, it was probably just a night of drunken stupor for both but Cesar himself did talk about it, what gay man wouldn't boast of having been with a catch like Latin lover Desiderio?  Gossip and gay go together and although he was ashamed to say it to Lucy, that was way back then, when it was a career killer.  As for most of Hollywood being gay or bisexual, these are broadminded people who chose the entertainment field and are not afraid to try anything, especially back then, fooling around was their pastime and anything different went.  And it's even more rampant today.  Just because some star tried something one time does not make them bisexual, that's true, but stars who had hundreds of same sex experiences and had the studios and media cover up everything for the sake of their careers just pisses me off, sorry, but that's yet another sore point for me.  I wish they had been OUT back then so my life and millions of others wouldn't have suffered so.  It would have been nice to have people to look up to the way kids do nowadays, sorry about the rant but Hollywood and New York are full of these closeted stars and it makes me feel good every time i read or hear of someone new that's part of our club.  Not that i should talk, having come out so late in life myself because i too was chicken about losing friends and family.  Haven't spoken to my best friend ever in years now, he thinks it was because of a political argument but it was really about my not accepting the fact that he's a homophobe as is his wife and step son whom i mentored for years.  I hope to finally tell him on my deathbed or at least write him a letter to get it off my chest.