Lucy and gay rights

chedderchester

What was Miss Ball's (or even Desi's or Viv's) view on LBGT? Pride parades were starting to become a big thing in the 60s so she was around for the early days at least. In the late 70s-80s is when it really became a big thing. Didn't somebody say she dated a man who actually told her he felt "strange?" If she was that homophobic she wouldn't have hired Rock Hudson, Danny Kaye (I think) Jim Bailey, Don Loper, or Liberace as guest stars but they probably didn't even know themselves yet. Which reminds me of that one Dorothy Zbornak line "SHE didn't even know when she was in college!")

I find that interesting... Gay Icon Lucy Ricardo. What does that mean?

It was Lee's opinion, not mine.  It means one of those GREAT women that we gays look up to, like Streisand, Midler Madonna, Cher, and i would certainly include LUCY, as well as Hepburn, Davis and quite a few others.  Lucy Ricardo might be a comedy icon but i don't think of her as a gay icon, although her struggles and wanting fame and fortune certainly prove otherwise.  I think Icon means someone people revere for them being bigger than life and not happy taking crap from anyone, not the best way to put it but i'm tired and that's the best description i can give right now, i'll try again tomorrow.

Could you imagine an episode of I Love Lucy where Lucy and Ethel crash a gay pride parade? Those did not exist from 1951-1957, sadly. Maybe in the final seasons of TLS or even in HL but I don't think they'd ever go that route. Glad that Ball was pro gay rights.

If for no other reason than that she worked in New York City and Hollywood, two places where gays are such a big part of show business and the most talented people were gay and as Lucy always admired talented people, well,  . . . . 

Could you imagine an episode of I Love Lucy where Lucy and Ethel crash a gay pride parade? Those did not exist from 1951-1957, sadly. Maybe in the final seasons of TLS or even in HL but I don't think they'd ever go that route. Glad that Ball was pro gay rights.

My God, there's a visual.

Ethel: Boy, fancy schmancy!

Lucy: Ethel! It's rude to point!

Ethel: Gee wiz, even fellas own more dresses than I do these days!

Is RG Brown the queen who strikes the chimes for the secretaries to start typing?  Or the one who sprays Eva Gabor's bed with perfume before she lays in it?  If THAT is RG.. he IS gayer than Rip Taylor.  That is pretty gay.. even the gays on Queer Eye are like "THAT FAG?" (ok old reference but you get it)

Is RG Brown the queen who strikes the chimes for the secretaries to start typing?  Or the one who sprays Eva Gabor's bed with perfume before she lays in it?  If THAT is RG.. he IS gayer than Rip Taylor.  That is pretty gay.. even the gays on Queer Eye are like "THAT FAG?" (ok old reference but you get it)

Hey, she adored Paul Lynde and he put the gay in gay.

I remember a quote, I believe it was Jim Brochu's book.  They were discussing homophobic people.  Lucy said the reason people treat homosexuals that way is because "they're just jealous!"

It seems that Lucy's closest male friends during the last 30 or so years of her life were mostly gay.  And referencing another thread, Sammy and Altovese Davis were among her and Gary's best friends, and she made Marl Young her show's musical director.  She she married a Cuban first, then a Jewish man.  So Lucille Ball may have been many things, but I think it's safe to say she wasn't racist, anti-immigrant, anti-semitic, or homophobic.

• Like 2

I remember a quote, I believe it was Jim Brochu's book.  They were discussing homophobic people.  Lucy said the reason people treat homosexuals that way is because "they're just jealous!"

It seems that Lucy's closest male friends during the last 30 or so years of her life were mostly gay.  And referencing another thread, Sammy and Altovese Davis were among her and Gary's best friends, and she made Marl Young her show's musical director.  She she married a Cuban first, then a Jewish man.  So Lucille Ball may have been many things, but I think it's safe to say she wasn't racist, anti-immigrant, anti-semitic, or homophobic.

W O W you certainly ain't whistlin dixie there ma boy!  Very well said.

• Like 1

I already said my piece about Lucy.  Vivian?  Having married a gay man, I would say she had no problems with LGBT -- at least outside of the bedroom.  And Desi?  Cesar Romero probably would have been the best one to answer that question.

I don't think he was looking to have sex with Cesar but if they were both drunk and he knew how Cesar wanted to do it so being drunk, he just gave in and probably later regretted it, but i loved your post, LOL!   I do remember reading that Desi would sometimes share a woman with someone he knew but they could not share a bed, in separate rooms ok but not together.