Betsy Palmer has died

The wonderful Betsy Palmer has died at the age of 89. Betsy and Lucy worked together several times on I've Got A Secret. Betsy was a close friend of Wanda Clark and was the headliner at the 2003 Lucy-Desi Days in Jamestown. She was one of the most delightful celebrities I ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Actress Betsy Palmer, whose long film, stage and television career began back in 1951 in the early days of live television and who later found a new generation of fans in her role as Mrs. Vorhees in the cult film classic Friday the 13th, has died at the age of 88, it was announced today by her longtime manager Brad Lemack. Lemack reports that Palmer died of natural causes on May 29th at a hospice care center near her Danbury, Connecticut home.

Born in East Chicago, Indiana on November 1, 1926, her career aspirations took her to New York where she first appeared on the television series Miss Susan (which shot in Philadelphia). Her substantial resume of early television work includes the acclaimed 1953 live Philco Television Playhouse production of Paddy Chayefsky's Marty, with Rod Steiger, in the title role, and Sentence of Death, a Studio One teleplay, in which she starred with James Dean, also in 1953.

Palmer's tremendous body of acting work grew to include a prolific career that spanned five decades.

Her early film work includes many films that are now also considered classics, including Mister Roberts, in which she co-starred with Jack Lemmon, Henry Fonda and James Cagney, The Long Gray Line, in which she co-starred with Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara, and Queen Bee, in which she co-starred with Joan Crawford, all three in 1955 alone. She appeared with Fonda again, as well as with Anthony Perkins, in the 1957 Academy Award-nominated film The Tin Star.

Betsy had a very diverse performance career that also included high profile stints as a regular contributor on NBC-TV's The Today Show, from 1958 through 1959 and her role as a regular panelist on the long running and popular prime time TV game show I've Got a Secret, from 1952 through 1967. In 1953, she appeared as the original letter turner in a new CBS-TV game show called Wheel of Fortune.

The iconic television game show player later appeared numerous times as a celebrity player on other classic game shows, including What's My Line, Password and The $10,000 Pyramid.

In 1969, Palmer took over the hosting duties of the nationally Syndicated morning talk show Girl Talk, which Virginia Graham began in 1962.

It was in 1980 when audiences first saw Palmer in a strikingly new light, as the murderous Pamela Vorhees in the original and still very popular cult film classic Friday, the 13th. It was an unlikely role for Palmer, who later said that the only reason she accepted the job was that she was convinced no one would ever see the it - and to earn the money for a new car.

The day before getting a call about the film, the car she was driving broke down on the Connecticut Turnpike during her drive home from a day in New York City. Her mechanic told her that it would cost $10,000 for the needed repair, which was also, she discovered, the cost of a brand new car. She wanted to take a day to think about it. That next day brought the offer for the film that would pay her exactly $10,000, leading to a sporty new vehicle and a revitalized career.

Her extensive television work grew to include guest star appearances in episodes of countless dramatic and comedic series, including her work with pal Angela Landsbury on Murder, She Wrote and a recurring role on the long running prime time drama Knots Landing.

While she achieved fame and notoriety from her film and television work, it was her work on stage that brought Palmer the greatest professional joy. Her Broadway credits include Roar Like a Dove (1964), Cactus Flower (1967) The Eccentricities of a Nightingale (1976) and Same Time, Next Year (1977).

Betsy was also a regular fixture in summer stock theatre for years during the genre's heyday, starring in numerous productions, including South Pacific, The King and I, Hello, Dolly! and A Doll's House. Her work in regional theatre in her later years includes productions of On Golden Pond and A Perfect Ganesh. She also starred in a national tour of A.R. Gurney's play Love Letters, performing opposite a variety of leading men, including Robert Reed, Eddie Albert and Van Johnson.

In her personal life, Palmer was a staunch supporter of many non-profit organizations, including those involved in the fight against AIDS and in the care for AIDS patients.

Betsy is survived by her daughter Melissa Merendino.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Actress-Betsy-Palmer-Dead-at-Age-88-20150531

In the past few months we have lost all the surviving regular female panelists on the big Goodson-Todman games shows: Polly Bergen, Bess Myerson, Jayne Meadows, and now Betsy. :(

Sad news indeed... She attended one of our Lucy Conventions (as an audience member!) and was so gracious... I later met her when she did a seminar in Jamestown... A very nice lady, indeed!

I first watched Betsy (on a regular basis) when she was a regular panelist on I'VE GOT A SECRET...  By a weird coincidence, she replaced Jayne Meadows, who, of course, just passed away a few weeks ago!  

I'VE GOT A SECRET was a huge primetime hit in those days, airing, I believe, on Wednesday nights at 9:30-10PM. Garry Moore was the host, and the original celebrity panel was Bill Cullen, Jayne Meadows, Henry Morgan and Faye Emerson.  Ms. Emerson did a lot of things on TV in the early days -- hence Fred Mertz's line in "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" -- "I can only hope it's Faye Emerson."  I believe she was married to one of President Roosevelt's sons for a while...

Anyway, Faye Emerson left SECRET and was replaced by Bess Myerson, and shortly thereafter Jayne Meadows left the show and was replaced by Betsy... As an audience member, I was fearful that the magical old chemistry would be ruined -- but the new foursome was just a lively and wonderful as the first, and the show lasted over a decade...

So I was thrilled when Wanda Clark started to bring Betsy to our various Lucy functions!  So sorry to hear of her passing...

The wonderful Betsy Palmer has died at the age of 89. Betsy and Lucy worked together several times on I've Got A Secret. Betsy was a close friend of Wanda Clark and was the headliner at the 2003 Lucy-Desi Days in Jamestown. She was one of the most delightful celebrities I ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I met her once, along with another member of the Lounge.  I agree with the others that she was a very nice lady.  And what a trip!  She had a few candid words to say about a certain former co-panelist, much to our delight.  :)  I'm glad, at least, that she was able to have a long life.

I met her once, along with another member of the Lounge.  I agree with the others that she was a very nice lady.  And what a trip!  She had a few candid words to say about a certain former co-panelist, much to our delight.  :)  I'm glad, at least, that she was able to have a long life.

Yeah, W H O      W H O      W H O !  I know i sound like an owl but i am dying to know.

Don't leave us hanging like that. ;)

Yeah, W H O      W H O      W H O !  I know i sound like an owl but i am dying to know.

LOL!  Well, it was nothing bad, really.  We were talking about I've Got a Secret, and Ms. Palmer got on the subject of the mystery guest segment on the show, and Bess Myerson.  She suddenly blurted out, "she cheated!" and explained that if you look a certain why -- I can't remember the details of how -- you can see around the blindfolds.  She said Bess Myerson did that, so she'd figure out who the guest was without actually having to guess.  Recalling Bess Myerson's ethics scandal in the late '80s, I don't think it would have worked out well for her if she had called on Betsy Palmer as a character witness.  :)

• Like 1

LOL!  Well, it was nothing bad, really.  We were talking about I've Got a Secret, and Ms. Palmer got on the subject of the mystery guest segment on the show, and Bess Myerson.  She suddenly blurted out, "she cheated!" and explained that if you look a certain why -- I can't remember the details of how -- you can see around the blindfolds.  She said Bess Myerson did that, so she'd figure out who the guest was without actually having to guess.  Recalling Bess Myerson's ethics scandal in the late '80s, I don't think it would have worked out well for her if she had called on Betsy Palmer as a character witness.  :)

LOL!  Same as What's My Line, the mystery guest was a bit easy to figure out, any BIG star coming to New York from L A was all over the newspapers, i'm sure that helped also.

Of the three Goodsom-Todman game shows, I've Got a Secret was the biggest hit, ratings-wise.  But IMO, the least engaging as a game.  In fact, some of the "secrets" were unguessable.  The other two CBS prime time game shows being What's My Line and To Tell the Truth, all broadcast live from NYC.   All three had class and since their collective demise (I believe all in the same year 1967), has there been another game show with class?  I can't think of one.

IGAS's success was due  to its charming, interesting, witty and intelligent panel and its host: first Garry Moore, then Steve Allen.  It was the lead-in to The Lucy Show for a couple of seasons.  On the evening "Lucy Conducts a Symphony" ran, Garry Moore had seen it and urged his audience to tune in for a "special Lucy Show."  Other than Garry's variety show and Bill Cullen's many game show hosting assignments, I had no idea the panel did other things and that Betsy was so talented.   I wince a little when I see headlines ""Friday the 13th" Actress Dies"

Sad news indeed... She attended one of our Lucy Conventions (as an audience member!) and was so gracious... I later met her when she did a seminar in Jamestown... A very nice lady, indeed!

I first watched Betsy (on a regular basis) when she was a regular panelist on I'VE GOT A SECRET...  By a weird coincidence, she replaced Jayne Meadows, who, of course, just passed away a few weeks ago!  

I'VE GOT A SECRET was a huge primetime hit in those days, airing, I believe, on Wednesday nights at 9:30-10PM. Garry Moore was the host, and the original celebrity panel was Bill Cullen, Jayne Meadows, Henry Morgan and Faye Emerson.  Ms. Emerson did a lot of things on TV in the early days -- hence Fred Mertz's line in "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" -- "I can only hope it's Faye Emerson."  I believe she was married to one of President Roosevelt's sons for a while...

Anyway, Faye Emerson left SECRET and was replaced by Bess Myerson, and shortly thereafter Jayne Meadows left the show and was replaced by Betsy... As an audience member, I was fearful that the magical old chemistry would be ruined -- but the new foursome was just a lively and wonderful as the first, and the show lasted over a decade...

So I was thrilled when Wanda Clark started to bring Betsy to our various Lucy functions!  So sorry to hear of her passing...

Well, it was nothing bad, really.  We were talking about I've Got a Secret, and Ms. Palmer got on the subject of the mystery guest segment on the show, and Bess Myerson.  She suddenly blurted out, "she cheated!" and explained that if you look a certain why -- I can't remember the details of how -- you can see around the blindfolds.  She said Bess Myerson did that, so she'd figure out who the guest was without actually having to guess.

Hmm... I'll take Betsy's word on this. I've been working on a similar theory about Phyllis Newman and her What's My Line? blindfolds...

Hmm... I'll take Betsy's word on this. I've been working on a similar theory about Phyllis Newman and her What's My Line? blindfolds...

When was Phyllis a panelist on WML? I think I only remember seeing her once. I'll have to watch and see if it looks like you can peek.

I'll take her word on it, too.  We weren't fishing for any scoops from her, just talking casually and she just kind of blurted it out to us, two strangers.  And this was only a few years ago, but decades after she was on that show.  So there was no reason for her to say that if it wasn't true.  And it wasn't said with malice, but more matter of fact.  A lot of people when they get older become less filtered.  This seemed like one of those unfiltered moments when a bit of truth comes out.  "She cheated!"

When was Phyllis a panelist on WML? I think I only remember seeing her once. I'll have to watch and see if it looks like you can peek.

Quite a few times, it looks like:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=what%27s+my+line+phyllis+newman

I'll take her word on it, too. We weren't fishing for any scoops from her, just talking casually and she just kind of blurted it out to us, two strangers. And this was only a few years ago, but decades after she was on that show. So there was no reason for her to say that if it wasn't true. And it wasn't said with malice, but more matter of fact. A lot of people when they get older become less filtered. This seemed like one of those unfiltered moments when a bit of truth comes

I appreciated her candour. The one time I spoke to her, somehow the conversation wound around to her big reveal Joan Rivers had been asked to come to Jamestown multiple times but they were being too stingy to book her. Haha

I think Phyllis appeared more regularly on the syndicated What's My Line, the 5-day/week version started a year after the network run ended.  It was to the nighttime WML, what bus-and-truck/4 piece-orchestra versions of musicals are to Broadway productions.   Arlene Francis was still on board, as was Bennett Cerf until his 1970 death (and beyond, thanks to the backlog of shows already taped).  The host was Wally Bruner (later Larry Blyden).  I have never heard of Bruner.  His only other show was "Wally's Workshop" a Mr. Fix-It show --don't know if he ever tried to glue a lamp back together.  Soupy Sales was the other panel mainstay.  Everything was played the same way but somehow it wasn't as classy, though still a cut above most other game shows.  The "mystery guests" weren't always the top draws like the Sunday night live version.  They shot 5 at a time, so they had to have 5 big celebrities  available.  I remember Lucie Arnaz was one.  I don't think Lucy herself ever appeared on the syndicated version.

Game Show Network used to run WML every night at midnight and I set my DVR to tape it every night, then made DVDs, so I have at my disposal, virtually its entire run.  Some of the early episodes didn't survive on kinescope.

• Like 1

Lucy was never on the syndicated What's My Line?, but she holds the record for most stints as mystery guest on the classic version: six.

Lucie was a guest panelist on the syndicated version. At age 21, she is the youngest panelist ever on a What's My Line? panel and the only panelist ever to be born after the original series premiered. Jim Bailey was a mystery guest when Lucie was on the panel.

Phyllis Newman was the most frequent female guest panelist on the original series after Dorothy Kilgallen died. She appeared over 30 times on the panel. She was my favorite of the Dorothy replacements. The other frequent panelists in the post-Dorothy era were society columnist Suzy Knickerbocker (the pen name of Aileen Mehle) and Sue Oakland, who is perhaps the most obscure panelist ever used on the show.

Lucy was never on the syndicated What's My Line?, but she holds the record for most stints as mystery guest on the classic version: six.

Lucie was a guest panelist on the syndicated version. At age 21, she is the youngest panelist ever on a What's My Line? panel and the only panelist ever to be born after the original series premiered. Jim Bailey was a mystery guest when Lucie was on the panel.

Phyllis Newman was the most frequent female guest panelist on the original series after Dorothy Kilgallen died. She appeared over 30 times on the panel. She was my favorite of the Dorothy replacements. The other frequent panelists in the post-Dorothy era were society columnist Suzy Knickerbocker (the pen name of Aileen Mehle) and Sue Oakland, who is perhaps the most obscure panelist ever used on the show.

Makes sense that I haven't seen her. If I'm just getting home at night or something I'll put on one of the original broadcasts before I go to bed. The only syndicated one I ever saw was when Elaine Stritch was the guest. I watched it after her passing.

If it's not too weird of a question, what was the big deal with Bennett Cerf? He seems like a nice guy with a brilliant mind, but what all did he  lend to the show as far as pizzaz? Am I missing something?

Makes sense that I haven't seen her. If I'm just getting home at night or something I'll put on one of the original broadcasts before I go to bed. The only syndicated one I ever saw was when Elaine Stritch was the guest. I watched it after her passing.

If it's not too weird of a question, what was the big deal with Bennett Cerf? He seems like a nice guy with a brilliant mind, but what all did he  lend to the show as far as pizzaz? Am I missing something?

He was famous in book publishing (Random House) i believe and added a little class to the panel.

"Phyllis Newman was the most frequent female guest panelist on the original series after Dorothy Kilgallen died. She appeared over 30 times on the panel. She was my favorite of the Dorothy replacements."  Harry Carter

Phyllis was always one of my favorites on the show....Lovely smile; and she was always smiling or laughing....  Kilgallen was also pinch-faced and unattractive because of it, I thought; but, when SHE smiled (not often) it madeg her face very attractive! 

THAT show was one of my ALWAYS WATCH when I was very young; which I surely am NOT anymore!