Jack Carter has died

HarryCarter

Jack Carter, Lucy Show guest star, Here's Lucy director, and the man who fixed up the future Mr. and Mrs. Morton, has died at the age of 93.

Comedian Jack Carter died June 28 of respiratory failure at his home in Beverly Hills. He was 93. He was also an actor, emcee, singer, mimic, dancer, and director in a career that spanned over seven decades.

He began his professional career appearing on Broadway in “Call Me Mister.” He later appeared on Milton Berle’s “Texaco Star Theatre” shows, and it was during this time that Carter got his first real break.

For two years, he hosted the early television variety program “Cavalcade of Stars” prior to having his own show on NBC, “The Jack Carter Show,” which lasted three years, and was a part of the “Saturday Night Review.” He also co-starred in several of the Colgate Comedy Hours with Ed Wynn, Jimmy Durante, Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis and Donald O’Connor.

In addition to “Call Me Mister,” his Broadway credits include “Mr. Wonderful” and “Top Banana.” He hosted the first televised Tony Awards in 1956. Other theater credits include “Guys and Dolls,” “The Last of the Red Hot Lovers,” “Born Yesterday,” “Critics Choice,” “The Odd Couple,” “A Hatful of Rain,” “Little Me,” “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum,” and as Fagin in “Oliver” and “Sugar” with Robert Morse.

He often appeared in dramatic roles on television including “The Last Hurrah” with Carol O’Connor; “The Sex Symbol” with Connie Stevens and Shelley Winters; and he received two Emmy nominations for the NBC series “Dr. Kildare,” starring Richard Chamberlain, and an Emmy nomination for the ABC movie of the week “The Girl Who Couldn’t Lose.” His many other television credits include “The Rockford Files,” “Diagnosis Murder,” “Touched by an Angel,” “Emergency,” “Police Story,” “Fame,” “Fantasy Island,” Steven Spielberg’s “Amazing Stories” as well as “3rd Rock From the Sun,” “Baywatch,” “7th Heaven,” “Just Shoot Me!,” “King of the Hill,” “Murder, She Wrote,” “Caroline in the City,” “Coach,” “Living Single,” “Monk,” “Desperate Housewives,” “iCarly,” “Parks & Recreation,” “Family Guy,” “New Girl,” “Rules of Engagement,” and, most recently in 2014, several appearances on “Shameless.”

His work as a director included Lucille Ball’s CBS series “Here’s Lucy” and plays including “A Thousand Clowns,” “Silver Anniversary” and “Mouth-Trap.”

Throughout his career, Carter was a prominent presence on TV variety shows and musicals. He made more than 50 appearances on “The Ed Sullivan Show” and guest-starred on “The Dean Martin Show,” “The Andy Williams Show,” “The Jackie Gleason Show,” “Laugh-In” and numerous Bob Hope comedy specials. He was a frequent panelist on “Match Game” through the 1970s and ’80s as well as a guest star on “The $10,000 Pyramid.”

He was a top nightclub entertainer, playing clubs and theaters in Las Vegas as well as New York, London, Atlantic City and Chicago.

His movie credits include “Play It to the Bone,” “The Horizontal Lieutenant,” “Viva Las Vegas,” “The Amazing Dobermans,” “Alligator,” “Comics,” “Hustle” with Burt Reynolds and Mel Brooks’ “History of the World, Part I.”

Jack Chakrin was born in Brooklyn. While in his teens, he honed his comedic craft as a mimic appearing on the “Major Bowes’ Amateur Hour” radio show. He attended the Academy of Dramatic Art aspiring to be a dramatic actor. He began his professional career after serving in the Army in World War II.

Survivors include his wife, Roxanne, whom he married in 1971; sons Michael Carter and Chase Carter; daughter Wendy Carter; and grandchildren Jake and Ava.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/comedian-jack-carter-dead-dies-1201530903/

I'd forgotten he directed a couple of "Here's Lucy"'s.   Never guested on one, did he?  His "The Lucy Show" credit as ambulance chasing lawyer was not listed (one of the better 6th season episodes)  Does anyone know if either of his children were mothered by Paula Stewart?

I'd forgotten he directed a couple of "Here's Lucy"'s. Never guested on one, did he? His "The Lucy Show" credit as ambulance chasing lawyer was not listed (one of the better 6th season episodes) Does anyone know if either of his children were mothered by Paula Stewart?

Jack directed "Lucy and Aladdin's Lamp" and "Lucy and Carol Burnett" (Unemployment Follies), but never appeared on Here's Lucy.

Paula is the mother of Jack's son, Michael.

Aww, he had a good, long run and was funny to the end. I won't hold his role in having Lucy mortonized against him.

LOL Brock, I completely choked on my coffee. I agree!

...Although I'm not as forgiving as you I do blame Paula more; however, like most smart men, the poor guy was probably like "Yes, dear. Sure, dear. Whatever you say, dear. Great idea, dear. Wait, what was that, dear?"

Jack directed "Lucy and Aladdin's Lamp" and "Lucy and Carol Burnett" (Unemployment Follies), but never appeared on Here's Lucy.

Paula is the mother of Jack's son, Michael.

Just realized I wrote Jack directed "Lucy and Aladdin's Lamp." That was actually one of the two episodes directed by Charles Walters. Jack's first directorial stint was "Lucy and the 20-20 Vision."

Came across a passage the other night in The Lucy Book. Apparently when him and Paula were divorcing they had a custody battle for Michael. Lucy testified against Jack. This didn't sit well with him and soured his HL directing.

"Alladin's Lamp"? "Unemployment Follies"?

Well he got even with HER