Viv and Doug Fairbanks on Password (1963)

You know, I think this is the first footage I've seen of Vivian without Lucy, sans a brief clip of her on Joan Rivers' show.

I've seen (lately not the original airings) two non-Lucy appearances from the 60s.  As a guest on Merv Griffin, she sings in her soprano seated at the chair next to Merv and talks about launching a concert career, which I assumed she ultimately abandoned (changed her mind?  low interest from bookers?) Not sure what year that was from.   The other is as a guest on the Carol Burnett-Bob Newhart show "The Entertainers", a trouble-plagued one-season variety from the Bob Banner production company, whose "Garry Moore Show" had just ceased production. Again, she sings. Bob Banner produced the first 4 seasons of "The Carol Burnett Show" and although "Garry" and "Etnertainers" were done in New York, all three had a similar look.   It was during the production of "the Entertainers" that Carol took on a Broadway musical simultaneously ("Fade Out, Fade In").  Shades of Lucy/Wildcat, she bit off more than could be chewed and claimed she could not go on with "Fade" because she suffered some injuries in a car accident.  "Fade" producers were not happy when she attempted to continue on with "entertainers" and lawyers were called in.  Carol, like Lucy, never did another Broadway musical.

Interesting that Vivian was thinking about a concert career at that time. I had thought she had become afraid of singing live. In the '60s and '70s she did so much summer stock, but didn't do a single musical. I'm sure John Kenley would have loved for Viv to do "Hello, Dolly!" or something.

Years ago, bits of Vivian on The Entertainers was online. Viv did a terrific rendition of "Stormy Weather."