Lucy and Bob At The Oscars (Again)

The official Oscars YouTube page put on the whole segment last week. I figure it's worth a re-evaluation and re-view in probably the best quality we'll see. 

Every time I saw this before, I was always very somber because it's the last time we'll see Lucy; but come to think of it she looks pretty great here, only being several weeks from death and all. She seems to be enjoying herself, Bob, and the obvious love from the audience. 

The Oscars page also put a complete list of the 'Stars of Tomorrow'. It's interesting that Lucy and Bob are still way more famous than 95% of these people:

Blair Underwood, Patrick Dempsey, Ricki Lake, Chad Lowe, Tracy Nelson, Keith Coogan, Corey Feldman, Corey Parker, Christian Slater, Joely Fisher, Savion Glover, Carrie Hamilton, Page Hannah, Matt Lattanzi, Tricia Leigh Fisher, Patrick O'Neal, D.A. Pawley, Tyrone Power Jr. and Holly Robinson.

The Oscars page also put a complete list of the 'Stars of Tomorrow'. It's interesting that Lucy and Bob are still way more famous than 95% of these people:

Blair Underwood, Patrick Dempsey, Ricki Lake, Chad Lowe, Tracy Nelson, Keith Coogan, Corey Feldman, Corey Parker, Christian Slater, Joely Fisher, Savion Glover, Carrie Hamilton, Page Hannah, Matt Lattanzi, Tricia Leigh Fisher, Patrick O'Neal, D.A. Pawley, Tyrone Power Jr. and Holly Robinson.

A few of those names I don't recognize AT ALL.  And as for the clip, I have always loved that moment when the audience jumps to their feet.  You know when it happens because it takes Lucy by surprise.  It's at about 2:22 on this video.  Her eyes suddenly widen, then she quickly looks at Bob, then she grabs his hand.  She's sort of in shock.  (Bob later commented about that moment saying it really did take her by surprise, and that's why she grabbed his hand.)  I think she had been really down since Life with Lucy was cancelled and felt like she was no longer wanted.  Then that moment comes when her Hollywood peers jump to their feet and she's not prepared because she just wasn't expecting that level of adoration.

A few of those names I don't recognize AT ALL.  And as for the clip, I have always loved that moment when the audience jumps to their feet.  You know when it happens because it takes Lucy by surprise.  It's at about 2:22 on this video.  Her eyes suddenly widen, then she quickly looks at Bob, then she grabs his hand.  She's sort of in shock.  (Bob later commented about that moment saying it really did take her by surprise, and that's why she grabbed his hand.)  I think she had been really down since Life with Lucy was cancelled and felt like she was no longer wanted.  Then that moment comes when her Hollywood peers jump to their feet and she's not prepared because she just wasn't expecting that level of adoration.

I beg to differ; while most of those on this list may not be in the same league as Hope & Lucy, most of them went on to have decent, multi-decade careers: with the exceptions of D.A. Pawley (who??) and perhaps Tyrone Power Jr., most on this list -- with perhaps the sad exception of Carol's daughter Carrie Hamilton, who's no longer with us --are still visible, viable "working" actors in the ever fickle entertainment industry.

I wonder if this could be said of most other Oscar years if they happened to "tribute" other bunches of "up & coming" performers?? :vanda:

I did feel really sad when I realized who Carrie Hamilton was. Anyway, lots of these people went on to have great careers in the business, but they're not household names like Bob and especially Lucy. Not a single one of my friends could identify any of these people except for her.

What would have made this appearance extra special: if Lucy and Bob as the Tearducts had joined the kids at the end for a real "Wingding" finale. 

Nice showcase for the up-and-coming but, my gawd, awfully LONG...

Besides Carrie Hamilton, didn't one of Coreys also die?

SOOO glad Lucy got this one final outpouring of love from her peers.  What made "LWL" so frustrating for her was that she could still do physical comedy (e.g.: the recliner throwing her around) but AGEISM prevented the audience from enjoying it.   In discussion for the series, Madelyn said to Lucy in reference to physical comedy "Well, we won't FLY you".  To which, Lucy replied (something like) " Go ahead! I can still fly...".  Her voice may have been gone but she was still lithe and limber and game.

• Like 1

What would have made this appearance extra special: if Lucy and Bob as the Tearducts had joined the kids at the end for a real "Wingding" finale. 

Nice showcase for the up-and-coming but, my gawd, awfully LONG...

Besides Carrie Hamilton, didn't one of Coreys also die?

SOOO glad Lucy got this one final outpouring of love from her peers.  What made "LWL" so frustrating for her was that she could still do physical comedy (e.g.: the recliner throwing her around) but AGEISM prevented the audience from enjoying it.   In discussion for the series, Madelyn said to Lucy in reference to physical comedy "Well, we won't FLY you".  To which, Lucy replied (something like) " Go ahead! I can still fly...".  Her voice may have been gone but she was still lithe and limber and game.

Well she may have been willing and physically able, but at 75 how wise would it have been?? I mean I hate to say it but they must have worried about what they could and could not do to her -- don't want to have your star break a hip!

Every time I've seen "Guard Goose" (which isn't much since it's IMHO the worst and my least favorite of the series) I cringe worrying about how the hell they got Lucy & Gale up on that shelf in the hardware set, ostensibly chased up the ladder by the goose... It may not have been truly that high up off the ground but jeez! Neither were spring chickens and if they'd happened to slip or something.... the show would've been over before it'd barely begun! :blink:

Well she may have been willing and physically able, but at 75 how wise would it have been?? I mean I hate to say it but they must have worried about what they could and could not do to her -- don't want to have your star break a hip!

Every time I've seen "Guard Goose" (which isn't much since it's IMHO the worst and my least favorite of the series) I cringe worrying about how the hell they got Lucy & Gale up on that shelf in the hardware set, ostensibly chased up the ladder by the goose... It may not have been truly that high up off the ground but jeez! Neither were spring chickens and if they'd happened to slip or something.... the show would've been over before it'd barely begun! :blink:

Well, at this point, wasn't Gale still claiming to be able to do cartwheels? I suspect he may have been limber enough.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I love seeing this- and the intro music is soooo magical to me- Its a LOVELY rendition of those two famous songs and works so well together. 

I always get a kick at seeing the camera begin to zoom in on Lucy- and then quickly starts to back away lol and zooms in on Bob alone- I assume the camera men were given their instructions on noooooo close ups of la Ball

She is glimmering and shining, and laughing in all the right places, and yet- I felt as if she wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. 

I also like to see that her make up team was starting to evolve a bit from the big- over the top make up choices that they used in prior years to soften her aging face. Her eye brows are now at her natural brow line and her lips are not as over drawn- though they didnt  have to skimp on those bow beauties