Carney Awards will honour character actors

Brock

In no particular order: Jesslyn Fax, Will Wright, Willard Waterman, Iris Adrian, Howard McNear, Kathryn Card, Eleanor Audley, Isabel Randolph, Mabel Albertson, Madge Blake, Frank Wilcox and my NUMBER ONE PICK: DORIS PACKER!!

I'd throw in Alice Pearce except her Gladys Kravitz portrayal elevated her to STAR.

Depends on what era they're picking from too.   If we go back to the 30s and 40s, there are so MANY.  My picks are from the era I know best.  I'm sure there are great character actors today but I don't know them by name.

I'd add: Elvia Allman, Herb Vigran, Verna Felton, Mary Treen, Lurene Tuttle, Ellen Corby,Maudie Prickett and Irene Tedrow

People like Bea Benedaret and Gale Gordon are more stars than supporting, I think

After the 50s "Honeymooners/Jackie Gleason" with the exception of the return of the musical "Honeymooners" in the 60s, Carney (as far as I know) never did supporting roles again.  No TV series pilots that I'm aware of.  Certainly he would have been approached at some point to do a series.  His Oscar win was a big surprise.  Especially for such a little movie and very strong competition: Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Albert Finney, Jack Nickolson.  Carney was good as always in "Tonto" but his greatest movie acting was in a little-seen movie a few years later with Lily Tomlin "The Late Show".

Those musical Honeymooners (available on DVD) are fascinating  and very unique television. 

Love all the choices so far. I add Burt Mustin and Herbie Faye to the list.

I think this is a great idea for an award. It's interesting that it's named after Art Carney who wouldn't qualify for the award since he was an Oscar and multiple Emmy Award winner.

Several sets of "The Color Honeymooners" were put out by MPI.  They were all musicals (if not all,  the ones I've watched were) filled with original and very tuneful songs.  I'm amazed that they were able to put this show together weekly with so much special material to learn.  Neither Gleason or Carney were singers but carried off these character songs. Gleason's warbling sounded like someone gargling on-key.  The shows were done in Miami and had a distinctive look and sound.  Very presentational.  The audio had a slight echo like an auditorium.

I would say they're more of a curiosity than actually "holding up well".  I didn't see them as a kid; nor did "The Honeymooners" series ever run in Portland.   I finally did see them, the original 39 episodes, and while I appreciated the clowning of Gleason and Carney, I couldn't get over the depressing, threadbare set.  You'd think as a bus driver he would have made enough money to afford a couch! And while there was always a "Baby, you're the greatest" ending, the bickering between Ralph and Alice was more mean-spirited, worse than Fred and Ethel.

• Like 1

Several sets of "The Color Honeymooners" were put out by MPI.  They were all musicals (if not all,  the ones I've watched were) filled with original and very tuneful songs.  I'm amazed that they were able to put this show together weekly with so much special material to learn.  Neither Gleason or Carney were singers but carried off these character songs. Gleason's warbling sounded like someone gargling on-key.  The shows were done in Miami and had a distinctive look and sound.  Very presentational.  The audio had a slight echo like an auditorium.

I would say they're more of a curiosity than actually "holding up well".  I didn't see them as a kid; nor did "The Honeymooners" series ever run in Portland.   I finally did see them, the original 39 episodes, and while I appreciated the clowning of Gleason and Carney, I couldn't get over the depressing, threadbare set.  You'd think as a bus driver he would have made enough money to afford a couch! And while there was always a "Baby, you're the greatest" ending, the bickering between Ralph and Alice was more mean-spirited, worse than Fred and Ethel.

The Honeymooners is one of my all-time favorites and one of the few shows I never tire of.  The musical "color Honeymooners" sketches from the 1960s Jackie Gleason Show are some of my earliest TV memories, and the very first exposure I had to the Honeymooners.  Very few of them were original, though; they were mostly remakes of episodes and sketches that were done in the 1950s with Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph.  Even the idea of making a musical version of The Honeymooners had first been done during the 1956-57 season, and so many of the musical numbers from the color episodes had originally been written for the 1956-57 season.

One thing I've noticed about both the half-hour version and the variety show sketches is that a number of them appear to have been inspired by I Love Lucy.  A couple examples: There was a story arc during the 1956-57 season (revived for the 1966-67 season) in which the Kramdens and Nortons go off on a trip to Europe.  (Sound familiar?)  And in one episode while on that trip, Ralph thinks Alice is fooling around with another man, who turns out to be a little boy.  (Hmm.)  In another, Ralph and Ed go to a restaurant in Paris, end up paying with counterfeit money and are then sent to jail.  And in one from around '54 or '55 had Ralph and Ed taking their wives out to some function and Alice and Trixie wind up wearing the same dress and getting into a fight.  These are just a few examples that come to mind, but I've seen others.

• Like 1