Paste's 20 Most Underrated I Love Lucy episodes

Are these in order of preference?  "Drafted": #1?  Miracatelacosa!!  Well I haven't seen it or "Cupid" in a long time.  Maybe they're better than I remember.  "Drafted" has certainly gained "cult" status on this board. 

Heartily agree on many ("Tells Truth" "Birthday" "Fashion Show" "Ethel's Hometown" "First Stop").  I like "Nursery School", marred only by the doctor's acting ("This is most unusual") and his faint, one of the most unrealistic ever on film.  

"Passports" is good but it's bookended by two episodes that are better "European Booking/Raffle" and "Staten Island Ferry". 

• Like 1

I'm not crazy about "The Amateur Hour" and "The Marriage License" myself. The schtick with the twins was never that believable or appealing, and License was a snooze-fest, apart from Elizabeth Patterson and Irving Bacon.

OMG Brian what is happening to you down unda??? No love for "The Marriage License"??? I think it's one of the best/strongest/funniest eps of the entire first season! :blink:  Now "Amateur Hour" I'm more in line with..... but I don't think it's one of the worst either; maybe somewhere in the middle... :peachonthebeach:

Amateur Hour is very nostalgic for me because when I was little it was one of the episodes we had taped off of TVLand, but I wasn't allowed to watch it because my parents were worried I would emulate the behavior of the twins.

LOL! I remember Brock did a joke headline about the Menendez brothers being inspired by them.

The only scene I really enjoy in "Amateur Hour" is when Lucy and Ethel come back from shopping. Lucy's got a brand new outfit and all Ethel got was a plunger.

Vivian's delivery of "well, I'm gonna go down and smooch Fred and see if he'll let me keep this" always kills me.

• Like 3

OMG Brian what is happening to you down unda??? No love for "The Marriage License"??? I think it's one of the best/strongest/funniest eps of the entire first season! :blink:  Now "Amateur Hour" I'm more in line with..... but I don't think it's one of the worst either; maybe somewhere in the middle... :peachonthebeach:

I'll admit it's a touching episode, but I just find it a little slow moving and rather bereft of laughs.

Part of the reason I'm not crazy about it is because it's based on two My Favorite Husband episodes, The Marriage License and Anniversary. The first one I like, the second not so much. The bulk of the plot for TV was taken from the Anniversary episode, with only the bit about Ricky's name being misspelled on the license coming from Marriage License. But ML had a great radio plot that would've been hilarious on TV had they gone that route: Lucy going to the license bureau to verify its legality, and Ricky calling his friend who works there to trick her into thinking the marriage is null and void. Lucy catches wind of the scheme and decides to get even by staging a date with an old boyfriend, who happens to be a jeweler. Ricky gets jealous and gets into a brawl with the jeweler, and has to buy a new ring for Lucy to avoid legal action. That would've made for a funnier show, IMO.

Giving a free pass to "Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying To Murder Her", I would probably say "Cupid" and "Men are Messy."

I like Bea Benadaret's performance, but the two episodes missing both Fred and Ethel will never be high on my favorites list. I'm glad that neither of them were missing at the same time after season one. In fact, only Bill missed any episodes after the first season.

I find Men are Messy funny but far-fetched. Her hillbilly routine was reasonably well done, but the show overall is rather silly.

Amateur Hour is very nostalgic for me because when I was little it was one of the episodes we had taped off of TVLand, but I wasn't allowed to watch it because my parents were worried I would emulate the behavior of the twins.

Now, THAT's FUNNY; but, after all, that was the purpose of the WHOLE SERIES; and the reason it lasted 7 seasons+; why are we picking a winner apart?  Sorry, just sayin....

• Like 1