Emmy Awards

Watching this gives you a link to another award: Best Comedy Writing of 1971 won by the MTM writers for an episode in the series first year.  I haven't seen many first season MTM episodes but my impression is that it found its way during the 2nd season.  Bob and Madelyn were up for "Burtons".   I'd love to know what they had prepared for their acceptance speech.

This was the year that Lucy and Jack Benny presenting the best supporting actors and actresses in comedy and drama.   Lucy hid her disappointment well when she had to announce the winner Ed Asner.  I'm sure she would have been thrilled to be the one to hand it to Gale. 

Was there ever a single episode of any show that did more for a series than "Burtons" did for "Here's Lucy"?  (other than a big finale) #1 for the week, by a wide margin.  I read somewhere that it got a 50 share, unheard of even by All in the Family.  Propelling it to its highest rated season, its only season of Emmy recognition and the publicity on overload. 

I don't know anything about the Emmy process: how the nominees are selected and the number of them.  It seems very inconsistent, but rarely more than 5; a few times there were 6.   Jean Stapleton was a shoe-in for Allin the Family's first season.  But there were only THREE nominees in all for Actress in Comedy: Jean, Mary and one more loss for Marlo Thomas in That Girl's last season.  (5 seasons, 5 nominations, 5 losses) It would have been nice to give Lucy one more nomination and if it was going to happen at all, this would have been the year. 

The Emmys seem to be following the Oscars lead and are uploading old Emmy speeches to YouTube.

In this clip, Ellen Corby and Will Geer win in the supporting categories for The Waltons. I love how "Miss Hanna" excitedly grasps her former pupil's arm at :08 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXlz027pilc

I just love this clip! I retweeted it a couple of days ago, but didn't even notice Lucy!

Watching this gives you a link to another award: Best Comedy Writing of 1971 won by the MTM writers for an episode in the series first year. I haven't seen many first season MTM episodes but my impression is that it found its way during the 2nd season. Bob and Madelyn were up for "Burtons". I'd love to know what they had prepared for their acceptance speech.

This was the year that Lucy and Jack Benny presenting the best supporting actors and actresses in comedy and drama. Lucy hid her disappointment well when she had to announce the winner Ed Asner. I'm sure she would have been thrilled to be the one to hand it to Gale.

Was there ever a single episode of any show that did more for a series than "Burtons" did for "Here's Lucy"? (other than a big finale) #1 for the week, by a wide margin. I read somewhere that it got a 50 share, unheard of even by All in the Family. Propelling it to its highest rated season, its only season of Emmy recognition and the publicity on overload.

I don't know anything about the Emmy process: how the nominees are selected and the number of them. It seems very inconsistent, but rarely more than 5; a few times there were 6. Jean Stapleton was a shoe-in for Allin the Family's first season. But there were only THREE nominees in all for Actress in Comedy: Jean, Mary and one more loss for Marlo Thomas in That Girl's last season. (5 seasons, 5 nominations, 5 losses) It would have been nice to give Lucy one more nomination and if it was going to happen at all, this would have been the year.

The MTM writers won for Nancy Walker's first appearance as Ida Morgenstern. Although it's incredibly tame nowadays, apparently they went through hell trying to get it on the air. I'm impressed that in such a revolutionary year as '71, Here's Lucy was granted any Emmy nominations. Although it was still high quality stuff, it was very different from the other shows up for awards. I'm grateful for The Burtons episode for all the reasons you listed, but I wish they hadn't used such well-trodden sitcom ground as the "ring gets stuck on foreign finger" gag. That episode really just got nominated for its hooplah, even though it was very good. HL episodes I would like to have seen nominated would be along the lines of NG as an RN, Lucy's Tenant, and Wandering Mother. On a side note, I still think Carole deserved an Emmy for her turn as Ma Parker. That episode was the worst of the worst and she still put her damndest into it. What a trooper.
  • Like 1