No More Lucy From CBS Home Entertainment

Mr. Wilson

Thanks Joey. You're absolutely right about the specials. What a coup to have those on our shelves. Plus CBS really pulled through with getting The Lucille Ball Comedy Hour and Lucy In London cleared as bonus features. So we certainly wound up with a lot more than we could've hoped for at one point. And who knows what the future (and future management) may bring us.

Exactly, Brian!  Bravo! :HALKING:

It's just that these blu-ray sets were more than just seasons. They were these amazing archival packages that preserved pretty much every scrap of Lucy stuff from that year. The ability to watch the first-run episodes is a treasure of historic proportions and this needs to continue before all that material is lost to time for good.

• Like 1

It's just that these blu-ray sets were more than just seasons. They were these amazing archival packages that preserved pretty much every scrap of Lucy stuff from that year. The ability to watch the first-run episodes is a treasure of historic proportions and this needs to continue before all that material is lost to time for good.

I'd love for it to continue but if the financial return isn't enough at the moment what can we do? There still may be other avenues that allows the material to be preserved, even if it isn't released for a while.

• Like 1

Well said! :peachonthebeach:

I'd love for it to continue but if the financial return isn't enough at the moment what can we do? There still may be other avenues that allows the material to be preserved, even if it isn't released for a while.

True that! I still wish -- especially now with the proliferation of all these cool "retro" TV "channels" that are again reairing so many beloved old classics -- more and more that we had an Desilu channel exclusively showing Desilu "product", especially given everything is on film and film has withstood the test of time, even if it has to be "cleaned up" etc.; the "bones" are there...otherwise, it's sitting in (a) vault(s) somewhere rotting.... so why not utilize the library, know what I mean?? :HALKING:

3) Though disappointing that Life With Lucy remains locked up for now, it's only 13 episodes. A minor footnote in the grand scheme of things. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an official release just for the complete set, but I'd be far more upset if LWL had been released while all 156 Lucy Shows remained in the vault. Besides, miracles can happen. Didn't a vigorous letter writing campaign spearhead The Lucy Show project? Perhaps, in this age of social media, a hashtag campaign could be started or something?

I think we Lucy fans are fortunate to have ALL six seasons of The Lucy Show available on DVD especially since it seemed for awhile there that CBS/Paramount was simply not interested. And compared to the other series owned by CBS/Paramount, all 3 of their Lucy series were treated very well. They weren't stalled for long periods of time or chopped up to bits and pieces with lots of footage missing, etc. And they were LOADED down with extras ... what more can a fan ask for? CBS/Paramount can't say the same about their other shows (i.e. My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, The Beverly Hillbillies, Mork and Mindy, Gomer Pyle, Happy Days, ect.). And afterall, CBS did bring out ALL 156 episodes of the highly-underrated, The Lucy Show, on home video ... something that we all have been waiting for years (even before DVD era)! I don't know about you guys, but I am more than proud and happy with what CBS/Paramount has done thus far. They have gone the extra mile as far as I am concerned. And who knows ... they might even surprise us more. Never say never. :)

• Like 1

I think we Lucy fans are fortunate to have ALL six seasons of The Lucy Show available on DVD especially since it seemed for awhile there that CBS/Paramount was simply not interested. And compared to the other series owned by CBS/Paramount, all 3 of their Lucy series were treated very well. They weren't stalled for long periods of time or chopped up to bits and pieces with lots of footage missing, etc. And they were LOADED down with extras ... what more can a fan ask for? CBS/Paramount can't say the same about their other shows (i.e. My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, The Beverly Hillbillies, Mork and Mindy, Gomer Pyle, Happy Days, ect.). And afterall, CBS did bring out ALL 156 episodes of the highly-underrated, The Lucy Show, on home video ... something that we all have been waiting for years (even before DVD era)! I don't know about you guys, but I am more than proud and happy with what CBS/Paramount has done thus far. They have gone the extra mile as far as I am concerned. And who knows ... they might even surprise us more. Never say never. :)

While you make a good point here -- and I'm repeatedly going to put out there in the universe how grateful I am to have these titles all out on DVD, you might want to remember that getting them all out has not exactly been "smooth sailing": some titles (e.g. L&S, HD etc.) have had some very bumpy release "schedules", with YEARS that went by without one season being released after the previous; L&S for example for the longest time appeared to be one where it was never going to see all 8 seasons come out; ultimately (and fairly recently), they not only ultimately DID put out all 8 they also have released a "Complete Series" collection (my preference for any vintage show long out of production!), which despite having bought a couple of seasons separately, I'd still like to add to my collection!

Conversely, "Happy Days" has yet to see every one of it's 11 seasons released -- I think it's stalled out at Season 5, maybe 6 -- which again, is not only a shame but I think it'd make more sense to do a Complete Series set rather than limp along with single-season sets years and years apart!

CBS yes I suppose should be lauded for their overall track record with the release of most classic sitcom titles, but of course none better IMHO than the release of the first and the best, our own I Love Lucy.  (So don't get me started how f'ed up I think it is they've pulled the plug on the Blu-ray releases --UGH!!)

Honestly, I'd never really believed TLS or Here's Lucy (not a CBS but an MPI (independent) release) would ever come out in their respective entireties; what was truly amazing to me was not only did they ultimately come out, but they were being released AT THE SAME TIME (and cross-promoted in each others' packages, to boot -- and they weren't from the same company -- how often does THAT  happen???)!!!

We fans are the better for it, so...if some dicey online-obtained second, third-plus generation copies are -- at this writing, at least -- the only way to obtain the historically significant (and still fan desired, understandably) LWL, it's fine by me!! I can live very happily with everything we DID get!!! :peachonthebeach:

• Like 2

I'm one of those people who held off on the blu-ray sets because I saw myself purchasing all 6 / 9 seasons and then being tempted to purchase them all over again in the "colorized" format.

My feeling is that CBS / Paramount should proceed with colorizing every episode and remastering them in hi-def.  And then test the marketplace with the entire set.

This may not be likely, but I would be more likely to buy a blu-ray set of the series if everything was colorized.   Blu-ray quality and colorized all in one fell swoop !

• Like 1

First of all -- never say never, particularly when consumer products are concerned.  Things that are not selling well today, may in fact be hot items a few years from now (and, sadly, vice versa)... We will just have to wait and see.  It IS true that  the I LOVE LUCY blu-ray project is "on hold" (or "on hiatus," to use a Hollywood production term)... But that is not to say that it will not be revived at a moment's notice sometime in the future.

I agree, in retrospect, that the sets were over-priced... But, quite honestly, they did cost a fortune to produce. I know: I saw the bills! If we had it all to do over, we probably should have done what Image did with THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and (1) put out a full-series set first, then individual seasons if needed, and (2) include just the basic episodes with a smattering of new "special features."

In all fairness, we DID discuss this early-on, but the consensus at the time was that Gregg Oppenheimer had done such a marvelous job with the original DVD releases, that there would not be a big market for blu-rays that were just the same material in higher definition.  A lot of people over the years -- Tom Watson, in particular -- had been very vocal about hoping to see the shows in their original "as broadcast" format, with all the original openings, closings, commercials, etc., restored... We thought that by doing this, we would in fact be making the new releases "unique and euphonious" -- and desirable by consumers... Sadly, there simply were not enough people who wanted to see the original broadcasts to justify the added expenses (and the high sales price!)...  Live and learn -- ain't hindsight grand!

As for the colorized LUCY projects: yes, we are moving ahead with at least three new colorized episodes. And NO, I cannot and WILL NOT tell you which ones they are.  No broadcasts have been scheduled as yet -- this is all just in the very preliminary stages... But I am guessing that we will be doing another Christmas broadcast, with the traditional Christmas episode leading into another of Lucy's classic misadventures... And we are hoping to have another independent one-hour special possibly between now and Christmas or, at the latest, sometime next spring... But we are working on it!

Lastly, I am hearing that there may in fact be a single-package DVD re-release of THE LUCY SHOW sometime in the fall... It will include all the same material that we released between 2009 and 2012 on the six single season sets. They will now all just be in one very compact package. No new materials will be added...

That's all the news for now... Will keep everyone up to date as we move forward...

• Like 4

First of all -- never say never, particularly when consumer products are concerned.  Things that are not selling well today, may in fact be hot items a few years from now (and, sadly, vice versa)... We will just have to wait and see.  It IS true that  the I LOVE LUCY blu-ray project is "on hold" (or "on hiatus," to use a Hollywood production term)... But that is not to say that it will not be revived at a moment's notice sometime in the future.

That is exactly what I speculated would be the case. Thanks for the reassurance!

I'm also pleased to hear about the potential "Lucy Show" complete series release. The winds do indeed change.

• Like 1

I agree, in retrospect, that the sets were over-priced... But, quite honestly, they did cost a fortune to produce. I know: I saw the bills! If we had it all to do over, we probably should have done what Image did with THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and (1) put out a full-series set first, then individual seasons if needed, and (2) include just the basic episodes with a smattering of new "special features."

In all fairness, we DID discuss this early-on, but the consensus at the time was that Gregg Oppenheimer had done such a marvelous job with the original DVD releases, that there would not be a big market for blu-rays that were just the same material in higher definition.  A lot of people over the years -- Tom Watson, in particular -- had been very vocal about hoping to see the shows in their original "as broadcast" format, with all the original openings, closings, commercials, etc., restored... We thought that by doing this, we would in fact be making the new releases "unique and euphonious" -- and desirable by consumers... Sadly, there simply were not enough people who wanted to see the original broadcasts to justify the added expenses (and the high sales price!)...  Live and learn -- ain't hindsight grand!

As for the colorized LUCY projects: yes, we are moving ahead with at least three new colorized episodes. And NO, I cannot and WILL NOT tell you which ones they are.  No broadcasts have been scheduled as yet -- this is all just in the very preliminary stages... But I am guessing that we will be doing another Christmas broadcast, with the traditional Christmas episode leading into another of Lucy's classic misadventures... And we are hoping to have another independent one-hour special possibly between now and Christmas or, at the latest, sometime next spring... But we are working on it!

Lastly, I am hearing that there may in fact be a single-package DVD re-release of THE LUCY SHOW sometime in the fall... It will include all the same material that we released between 2009 and 2012 on the six single season sets. They will now all just be in one very compact package. No new materials will be added...

That's all the news for now... Will keep everyone up to date as we move forward...

Is a dvd release still in the works for the color I Love Lucy shows that are not on dvd yet?  And thanks for the updates.  :) :)

Just remembering that this is the year of the show's 65th Anniversary and in recognition of that alone, it sounds as if --happily!--things are "in the works" not only for us long, long die-hard fans but for the Lucy-loving (or at the least, liking!) public as the October date draws near.

Not knocking it as compared to all the other eps the Christmas show has been shown the least but I can't help wondering since it has been aired several years in a row now (although in various incarnations) if perhaps we should forego it's airing and supplant it with another one -- even if it means using those dreaded, loosely-arrived at "themes" that CBS Home Video (for the Collector's VHS tape releases) used to come up with, and boy were some of those a stretch -- like the recent "Superman"/"Italian Movie" 'stravaganzas.  Just a thought. :blink:

Regardless what's in the works, it doesn't surprise me at all that the project on the "front burner" is colorizing more episodes.... something tells me, they'll all end up that way.  If this is what's coming, I hope they do the hour-long "specials" too, as those would really benefit by the extra "oomph" of being in color for the first time (which they should have been filmed in in the first place, IMHO).

:lucywow::peachonthebeach::lucythrill:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Incidentally, Amazon is having a MAJOR sale for season 1 of I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show, plus The Honeymooners, on Blu-Ray right now. Only about $20 each! Not sure how long this may last.

That's tempting. I look for Lucy on Blu-Ray when I'm in Half Price Books, but haven't found it yet. Thanks for the link!