Hedda Hopper's Hollywood (Full)

This was part of a special "50 years of TV".  Not quite sure what year it was originally shown.  1948 is the year generally recognized as the season all 4 networks (including "Dumont") started their full schedules, but limited programming happened before that.  TV was ready to go in the late 30s but was delayed by WW2.  Occupying the Monday 9:00 berth on CBS for the three seasons before I Love Lucy were Basketball, Candid Camera, and The Horace Heidt Show---so THAT's where Ethel's insult came from when she said to Fred  "Are you going to let that Havana Horace Heidt call YOU cheap?"  

From I Love Lucy onward, CBS had a sitcom Monday at 9 (to this day I believe) and with one exception, 1977's "The Betty White Show", they were all ratings winners. 

This clip wasn't identified as being from "Hedda" ....or anything.    Interesting that it came from videotape master.  

Decades also runs Dick Cavett and recently showed the 90 minute show with Lucy she did promoting Mame, included on a DVD set of Cavett interviews.  Lucy is entertaining but tired.  She explains that she got up at 5am to do the Today show.  A clip from Mame is shown: Patrick meeting Mame right after "It's Today" through Bea/Vera passing out.  

"Mame" had been released.  Lucy beams with pride as she states the reviews were in ("they brought them to me en masse") and they were great "We got what we wanted".  

She mentions director John Ford and regrets that they never worked together.  "We almost did".  What project could she have been referring to?

• Like 1

Does anyone know when "Hedda Hooper's Hollywood" aired?

She makes reference to the 'wonderful reception' the Desilu Revue got.  That aired Dec. 25th 1959.  Her look (hair/clothes) looks like she just walked off the set of "Meets the Moustache" which finished filming the first of March, the day after which she filed for divorce (Happy Birthday, poor Desi).   The fact that "Desi gave her permission" means they were still together (and still putting on a brave front for the press to the end).

Unless as this video was finishing she was golf-carting "to the set of Perry Mason to file for my divorce", this was probably February 1960. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know when "Hedda Hooper's Hollywood" aired?

She makes reference to the 'wonderful reception' the Desilu Revue got.  That aired Dec. 25th 1959.  Her look (hair/clothes) looks like she just walked off the set of "Meets the Moustache" which finished filming the first of March, the day after which she filed for divorce (Happy Birthday, poor Desi).   The fact that "Desi gave her permission" means they were still together (and still putting on a brave front for the press to the end).

Unless as this video was finishing she was golf-carting "to the set of Perry Mason to file for my divorce", this was probably February 1960. 

Thanks for this interesting information, Neil, Harry; hoping you are well.  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if anyone answered this or not ..for some reason I cant read other's responses .. my phone won't let me.

This seems to be 1960 since she pulls up in my dream car the fabulous 1960 Cadillac. For some reason..it seems in the older films people drive only brand new current model cars lol. I noticed in The Facts Of Life she and Bob drive new 1960 Buicks. Too bad that Cadillac isn't around today..oh how I would enjoy looking at that sweet ride. :)

I dont know if anyone answered this or not ..for some reason I cant read other's responses .. my phone won't let me.

This seems to be 1960 since she pulls up in my dream car the fabulous 1960 Cadillac. For some reason..it seems in the older films people drive only brand new current model cars lol. I noticed in The Facts Of Life she and Bob drive new 1960 Buicks. Too bad that Cadillac isn't around today..oh how I would enjoy looking at that sweet ride. :)

What chu talkin' about Willis, Cadillac's still around??! :HALKING:

• 7 months later...

Watching the closing credits, I found out why 75 year old Hedda looks so good: "Make Up by Gene Hibbs".

Strange to hear Bob Hope's one-liners with no laughs.  Just a few years later, they would NEVER have done a show like this without canned audience response. 

I don't know when they started piecing variety shows together and faking the audience response, but I much prefer it the old way.

2 shows that I have trouble enjoying because of the obviously canned and too enthusiastic and IMMEDIATE audience response are "Hollywood Palace" (although they do have an audience, just not responsive enough for the producers, I guess)  and "The Muppets"

Interesting timing.  Jan. 1960 They were not yet divorce and still putting up a brave front.  What a difference a year can make!   A year from then she would be embroiled in "Wildcat" and wondering what she got herself into.  Also that year the seemingly happy Murray-Lange household would split. 

Note that everybody has always pronounced Desi and Desilu wrong as if the s was a z.  Lucy always pronounced is with a soft s.   Does the "New Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show" announcer pronounce it right?   Of course the end credit text generator-person went one step further and spelled it with a "z" throughout a whole season (the 5th?).   I wonder at what point someone caught that. 

Watching the closing credits, I found out why 75 year old Hedda looks so good: "Make Up by Gene Hibbs".

Strange to hear Bob Hope's one-liners with no laughs.  Just a few years later, they would NEVER have done a show like this without canned audience response. 

I don't know when they started piecing variety shows together and faking the audience response, but I much prefer it the old way.

2 shows that I have trouble enjoying because of the obviously canned and too enthusiastic and IMMEDIATE audience response are "Hollywood Palace" (although they do have an audience, just not responsive enough for the producers, I guess)  and "The Muppets"

Love the 'SPIN', Neil; keep it comin'.......JK :fabrary: