I Love Lucy Bon Voyage Discussion

Seems like nobody really mentions this episode. One of my favorites but a bit nuts! I guess if they didn't think about the helicopter, I guess taking another liner would be the only other option if it was me. 

How the hell did they build that kind of set in 1955? I'd love to know. Was the "ship" just a big giant box that got pushed? Amazing how they were able to do that in 1955. I also wonder who they had to send to NYC to get all those shots of the USS Constitution leaving the Harbor and also get footage of Dan Cahn's wife as "Lucy" boarding the helicopter and dangling from the harness, plus shots of a pilot boat, a helicopter flying over the city, and hovering over a ship. This must have been a very expensive episode to shoot with all the exterior shots. Unless some of the footage of the ship  and pilot boat was stock footage shot years before. 

I love how Ricky responds to the Dock agent, "say Doc!" 

And Fred's line

:desi1: How can Lucy miss that pilot boat too?

:bill1: She's Lucy! does that answer your question? 

Also Ricky almost jumping overboard when he realizes Lucy is still on deck.  :D

:desi1: Goodbye Mrs. Trumbull, Goodbye Mother, goodbye Lucy! LUCY?!  :obrien:

Anyone notice how when Ricky grabs onto Lucy and they get pulled up a few feet, Desi accidentally kicks Viv in the face? Also, I hear that Ball really fainted at the end because years back she fell from a harness at the top of a set, and was afraid to have to do it again. Wow, I didn't know she could faint on cue. 

• Like 1

This is the episode that Bob and Madelyn always cite when they say "Desi would pay for anything and Lucy would do anything".   They went to Desi with their idea---Can we have an ocean liner set and have it move offstage?  Any other producer would have told them they were crazy, it can't be done or that would cost too much.   Desi said "let me talk to the boys (in special effects/set construction)" and he made it happen.

I don't know the timeline of when an episode was written and when it was filmed.  Certainly this set had to be constructed BEFORE the 4-day week they shot it. 

This is probably the most elaborate set built for a show in front of a live audience. 

I love Lucy's reaction : "a HELICOPTER???".  Timed just right and with the right amount of incredulousness. 

I only wish they had taken Mrs. McGillicuddy with them to Europe. 

In Venice: 

"Wait a minute. No gondola goes up this tributary..."

Mrs. M: "That's what the boat driver tried to tell me."

Reading a book about Buster Keaton:

Circa late 50s a friend asked Buster "Who is the best comedian?"

"Lucille Ball", rasped Keaton "Her timing is impeccable".  

(I'm veering off topic here, but....)  Keaton's genius wasn't acknowledged historically until after his death in 1966, but watch this scene from a 1925 feature length film "Seven Chances" and realize he wrote, directed, starred and did his own stunts!  Amazingly agile. 

Yes I just read that they helped Desilu with the finances to construct the set and the on location shots and even donated some props from the actual deck. I wish I knew how they built it and the mechanics of how they made it move. Today it would probably be a damn green screen or CGI.  <_< I wonder if they toyed with the idea of actually shooting on the real deck--we did see a shot of it! But they would've had to fly the entire cast and crew to NYC. 

I wish I could remember more details, but early in my video career I was hired to shoot something that involved scenes in the backwaters of the river that runs through Portland, the Willamette (in case anyone wants to know, it's pronounced wilLAMet).  We rounded a bend and there in front of us, in a state of disrepair, was

........the SS Constitution!

How did it end up there?  that's one of the details I can't remember.  It wasn't the focus of the video but I don't know why I didn't get shots of it anyway. 

This was so long ago that I'm not 100 percent positive it really happened.  There's an ever-so-slight chance it was a very vivid dream.

• Like 1

I wish I could remember more details, but early in my video career I was hired to shoot something that involved scenes in the backwaters of the river that runs through Portland, the Willamette (in case anyone wants to know, it's pronounced wilLAMet).  We rounded a bend and there in front of us, in a state of disrepair, was

........the SS Constitution!

How did it end up there?  that's one of the details I can't remember.  It wasn't the focus of the video but I don't know why I didn't get shots of it anyway. 

This was so long ago that I'm not 100 percent positive it really happened.  There's an ever-so-slight chance it was a very vivid dream.

Well now I'm curious if the ship really DID end up as you say or if you imagined it for some reason.  It's not only the "Lucy" connection but a personal one as I worked for a cruise line (American Hawaii) in the early to mid-80s which sailed the SS Constitution and SS Independence in "mirror" routes around the Hawaiian islands in a week-long cruise which would begin and end in Honolulu (our office was in San Francisco).  Ultimately, the company would "go under" (ahem) after adding a 3rd ship to the mix (SS Liberte) to do a similar voyage in and around the gorgeous islands of Tahiti (yes, I got to go once and have never forgotten its inimitable beauty!) which for a variety of reasons was a bad idea and ended with the company (as we knew it then) going out of business.  :(

In addition, if it weren't for working at that company at that time I most likely would not have had the opportunity -- at least for the first episode anyway -- to have attended a LWL filming as I was invited to go by one of our tradeout vendors, the Rogers & Cowan Agency who was also affiliated with the show.  Thanks again Bob Monfrini wherever you are and I'm sure sorry we lost touch! :blink:

I always get a kick out of Lucy immediately bursting into tears to Ricky when she picks up the phone at Doc's desk. And even referring to herself as "that crazy dame." haha. Only Lucy would miss the ship and have to get lowered down via helicopter, aka helleecopter. 

Also, in Lucy Goes Hawaiian (1970), how the hell did Lucy end up in that cargo net? I originally thought she took the helicopter again. If only Lucy Ricardo could've thought of that 14 years earlier. lol. And she just casually asks "Whats the matter, haven't you ever seen anybody board a ship before?" like it's no big deal that she got lowered down in that net, and landed on top of Harry in the process. haha. 

So, the pilot boat that was on the way IN wasn't going to leave again any time soon? If I were her I would try swimming after the ship but it was January. =P 

For some reason I always think of my grandmother when I watch this episode but she never missed a boat, she almost missed a plane going to Orlando Florida, while the rest of the family was already on board. But, she was part of an epic boat rescue in the Thousand Islands sometime in the early 70s. Some guy was trying to tow in a boat with his teeth and started drowning so she jumped into a nearby rowboat . . . and couldn't row, so she kept going farther and farther away while shouting "I'll save you!" And my grandpa and aunts and uncle just stood on the shore laughing hysterically, they knew she wasn't in any danger. Then the guy had to tow HER in. My family still laughs about it. I think my mom who was maybe 12 or 13 was in the boat with her. That is so Lucy. haha. 

Something similar happened with my aunt and cousin in 2009. And me and my cousin 10 years ago. I thought I knew how to row but I did not, so we were stranded in the middle of the lake and the lifeguard had to tow us to the dock, much to the amusement of my cousins and aunt. 

If you can believe wikepedia......SS Constitution was retired in 1995; while under tow to be scrapped, the liner sank north of the Hawaiian Islands on November 17, 1997; 700 nautical miles (1,300 km)

Sounds right to me! I don't remember how much longer they (Constitution and Independence) sailed the islands but if I remember right, they were sold to the company that "took over" from American Hawaii after the company folded/restructured/tanked/whatever happened, I don't remember.  The ships were already "dicey" in the 80s so I can only imagine the shape they were in by the late 90s! :blink:

It wasn't a dream, Neil. Here's information about the Constitution's time in Portland with pictures. http://www.ssmaritime.com/ss-independence-constitution.htm

Well that makes me feel a little better.  I think I was too preoccupied with whatever I was shooting to pay much attention to the Constitution.  I wonder why she started taking on water.  

Re: On November 17, 1997, the once magnificent Constitution slipped beneath the waves

Lucy to Fred: "Remember you're sinking on the SS Constitution, one of the best"

Well that makes me feel a little better.  I think I was too preoccupied with whatever I was shooting to pay much attention to the Constitution.  I wonder why she started taking on water.  

Re: On November 17, 1997, the once magnificent Constitution slipped beneath the waves

Lucy to Fred: "Remember you're sinking on the SS Constitution, one of the best"

It was an old tub! :blink: