Susan Ball

Luvsbway

So randomly on ebay and Tumblr there will be a picture of actress Susan Ball pop up claiming she is Lucy's second cousin. Just confirming that this is inaccurate. If she had another cousin running around Hollywood won't we have heard about them getting together, especially the way Lucy valued family?

Suzan Ball was from Jamestown, but born in 1934 so Lucy was already in Hollywood by this time. Lucy said in a 1950s article that there was no relation. However, Lucy did not really have much interaction with the Ball side of the family. Ball was apparently a common name in Jamestown. They had neighbors in Celoron named Ball who turned their backs on the Hunt family after the Erikson shooting. Perhaps Suzan was a relative of this Ball family or related to neither. It's sometimes erronanously written that Lucy wanted Lucie to be named Susan after Suzan Ball, but it was really Susan Peters. Both Suzan Ball and Susan Peters had similar sad ends.

Suzan Ball was from Jamestown, but born in 1934 so Lucy was already in Hollywood by this time. Lucy said in a 1950s article that there was no relation. However, Lucy did not really have much interaction with the Ball side of the family. Ball was apparently a common name in Jamestown. They had neighbors in Celoron named Ball who turned their backs on the Hunt family after the Erikson shooting. Perhaps Suzan was a relative of this Ball family or related to neither. It's sometimes erronanously written that Lucy wanted Lucie to be named Susan after Suzan Ball, but it was really Susan Peters. Both Suzan Ball and Susan Peters had similar sad ends.

imdb says Susan was Lucy's second cousin, but I've never heard that before.  

I didn't know she was from Jamestown.   Also new to me: the "Balls" turned their backs on Lucy's family after the tragic shooting.  I'll bet they were sorry for that later.  I wonder if any of them ever tried to make "too little too late" amends.  

• Like 1

The Balls who turned their backs on the Hunts were neighbors who were not related to Lucy's family. They just coincidentally had the same name. I don't think my earlier post made that clear.

Adding to this post of Harry's; for all my years, had thought one of my childhood older boys in our school, Terry Hunt, was related to De-De; had occasion to speak with  he and his wife at a local gathering several weeks ago; and was surprised to learn his 'Hunt' family was NOT one of the HUNT CLAN (for which Hunt Road, running from Jamestown/West Ellicott to Ashville (several miles) east/west route WAS named after De-De's Hunt family, since the early Hunts were residents of that area, as were the Balls (of Ball Hill; Township of Busti; just off Hunt Road, oddly, at Grandview; [now an exclusive section overlooking beautiful Lake Chautauqua] named after them late 1880's 1890's and beyond.

Therefore, another man my age, Jim Hunt, [not related to Terry] WAS of the famed Hunt Clan.  I believe he has left the area or passed away; will do some checking on that for future posts if I can find out.

Speaking of current BALL family, Dennis, and Roger are nearer my age; and were at the unveiling of new statue.  I believe their father was Robert Ball.  They still live locally. 

At the above gathering mentioned earlier in this post, I ALSO accidentally ran into a woman, maternal granddaughter of a woman who was best friends in their youth, of De-De's!!!!!  A first for me; so, am attaching HER to the chronology; and will find out what I can about her history, as well.  I will be asking for dates of birth and death of that woman.

I really have NOT gone to the Fenton to check backgrounds and families; nor to the Library checks of City Directories.  There is a Busti Man, Norman Carlson, who is historian; who also is a catalog of history himself; but, no time to do any of that . . . SO FAR.