The NEW Lucy Statue!

WELL!

Lucille Ball — and her hometown fans — received a much-welcomed gift today: A new bronze statue to replace the hilariously awful one that made headlines around the world as “Scary Lucy.”

The new statue, sculpted by artist Carolyn D. Palmer, was unveiled today at the Lucille Ball Memorial Park in Ball’s hometown of Celoron, NY. Today would have been the TV legend’s 105th birthday.

“I not only wanted to portray the playful, animated and spontaneous Lucy, but also the glamorous Hollywood icon,” said Palmer. “I just hope that all the Lucy fans are pleased and that Lucille Ball herself would have enjoyed this image of her.”

This is the park’s second attempt at a Lucy likeness, following sculptor Dave Poulin’s 2009 massive fail. Poulin’s unintentionally heinous statue, with its demon eyes, horse teeth and altogether lack of resemblance to the Lucy everyone loved, prompted a public outcry and was soon dubbed “Scary Lucy.” A chastened Poulin offered a re-do, but the Western New York village chose instead to stage a national competition.

The Hudson Valley, NY-based Palmer was chosen from a pool of more than 65 competing sculptors. Her six-foot-tall bronze statue depicts Ball in a 1950s polka-dot dress, pearls, handbag and high-heels.

The new statue will no doubt come as a relief to Lucy fans and little children everywhere.

(http://deadline.com/2016/08/lucy-statue-lucille-ball-scary-lucy-carolyn-palmer-1201799668/)

Saw the new statue this past weekend up close.  It's an improvement, but it's not 100% Lucy.  The mouth is wrong and her eyes have that look like maybe she just snorted some Vitameatavegemin. I don't think any sculptor can get her completely right though.  Poor Scary Lucy has been shunted off to a corner of the park.  We felt bad for it and had to give her some attention too. :peachonthebeach:  

Of the four* public Lucy statues, this one is the best by far, IMO.

*North Hollywood, Palm Springs, Celoron x2. Am I missing any?

I couldn't agree more! Does the above mean that's the order of "preference" for you that you'd put them in? That is, the new one 1st, then the Academy one in NoHo then Palm Springs (gee I have initmate acquaintance with two of these!!) and lastly "Scary"??

That'd be the order I'd put them in!! :peachonthebeach:

I couldn't agree more! Does the above mean that's the order of "preference" for you that you'd put them in? That is, the new one 1st, then the Academy one in NoHo then Palm Springs (gee I have initmate acquaintance with two of these!!) and lastly "Scary"??

That'd be the order I'd put them in!! :peachonthebeach:

Just chronological...I think.

Saw the new statue this past weekend up close.  It's an improvement, but it's not 100% Lucy.  The mouth is wrong and her eyes have that look like maybe she just snorted some Vitameatavegemin. I don't think any sculptor can get her completely right though.  Poor Scary Lucy has been shunted off to a corner of the park.  We felt bad for it and had to give her some attention too. :peachonthebeach:

Maybe so, but I think a totally accurate likeness would be near impossible to achieve. As it is, this one's pretty fantastic.

• Like 1

Of the four* public Lucy statues, this one is the best by far, IMO.

*North Hollywood, Palm Springs, Celoron x2. Am I missing any?

I think the scary one only drew such attention because of it being...well, scary. However, neither of the California statues capture her likeness that well either; they're just not demonic looking. You're right that this is the only one that captures her essence by a long shot.

I saw a Tweet pop up on my Yahoo news feed the other day where someone had posted that this new statue was just "a little better" than the original one.  I thought, WTF!  Does this guy even have any clue what Lucille Ball looked like?  I agree that straight on, there are some features that are a little off, but from some angles, it's a great likeness of her.  The original statue looked like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

• Like 2

I've seen a few of those reactions on Facebook and Instgram. I think those people probably live in a world where nothing pleases them. I'd hate to read their Yelp Reviews. Probably complained their waiter had a mustache and they find them disturbing. 3 stars.

Well said. People like that cannot fathom the time and energy that is spent going in to projects like this. I don't even view the scary Lucy artist too harshly, as he has admitted it wasn't to his liking and he offered to fix it.

• Like 1