Lured Comes to Blu-Ray

HarryCarter

Wow... maybe I should get a blueray player

May as well, they've been around awhile and I haven't heard of anything else --yet--coming down the pike to take their place!

The nice thing is they also play DVDs so it's not like your old collection is rendered obsolete or anything; mine also plays CDs although I don't think they all do (but I'm probably mistaken!), may vary model to model. 

While you're out shopping, you may as well grab this since you'll probably never see it cheaper ($16.50!!!??), and something with which you can "test drive" your new "toy"!

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Ultimate-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B00H5NY6CI

91uGOWxM4TL._SX342_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad Lucy is starting to make her presence known on Blu-Ray. I wish MGM would release more of their 40s musicals. Du Barry would look stunning.

Great idea! Couldn't agree more! And with the extra bitrate or whatever it's technically called -- not to mention how short some of these films were back then -- they could certainly do a "double feature"-type release and probably fit all of her MGM output on one or two discs, and without compromising much if any picture quality! :HALKING:

I keep hoping whomever owns the old RKO (Turner) catalog now (MGM??) would sort of do a "new and improved" version on Blu-Ray of all her titles from them that came out in that great Lucille Ball collection on VHS years ago -- it really was very nicely done!  Plus, again with the "extra space" that BDs afford, they could add titles that were not included before (but did see separate, stand alone releases --well some of them anyway) like "Beauty for the Asking" and...hmmm, I'm forgetting now, was "Five Came Back" in that package?? I don't think so....

With what BDs in many cases are going for now -- assisted by the fact that yet another "new" version/variation of BluRays are now coming out and whenever that happens, invariably the products for that old version (i.e. the titles released) will only become cheaper as the "new" format takes off (in theory).  :D

• Like 1

I'm glad Lucy is starting to make her presence known on Blu-Ray. I wish MGM would release more of their 40s musicals. Du Barry would look stunning.

I was thinking this when I was watching my That's Entertainment Blu Rays. A lot of those numbers were huge- I'm talking thousands and thousands of people (See: Rosalie and The Great Ziegfeld). They'd look really astonishing in HD. Off the top of my head, Brigadoon, Ziegfeld Follies, High Society, Babes On Broadway, and Cabin In The Sky would look damn gorgeous. There are lots more. Don't even get me started. I feel like I'm always criticizing musicals on stage and screen more than most other kinds of movies, but the Freed Unit at MGM created some of the most perfect examples of filmmaking as an art that I've ever seen. Except for Gigi. I hate Gigi.

Great idea! Couldn't agree more! And with the extra bitrate or whatever it's technically called -- not to mention how short some of these films were back then -- they could certainly do a "double feature"-type release and probably fit all of her MGM output on one or two discs, and without compromising much if any picture quality! :HALKING:

I keep hoping whomever owns the old RKO (Turner) catalog now (MGM??) would sort of do a "new and improved" version on Blu-Ray of all her titles from them that came out in that great Lucille Ball collection on VHS years ago -- it really was very nicely done!  Plus, again with the "extra space" that BDs afford, they could add titles that were not included before (but did see separate, stand alone releases --well some of them anyway) like "Beauty for the Asking" and...hmmm, I'm forgetting now, was "Five Came Back" in that package?? I don't think so....

With what BDs in many cases are going for now -- assisted by the fact that yet another "new" version/variation of BluRays are now coming out and whenever that happens, invariably the products for that old version (i.e. the titles released) will only become cheaper as the "new" format takes off (in theory).  :D

Yeah, 4K Blu-Rays are already being rolled out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked on the price for this Lured blu-ray, and since its on a "boutique" label (eg. Criterion, etc.) and is part of a double-movie "package" it's going for a ridiculous $56 price tag!! :blink:

Needless to say (but sadly) I'm gonna have to put this one on the back burner and hope it eventually comes out individually and/or wait awhile and hope it turns up for less at reliable discount places like Amazon, eBay and maybe even in the "used" bin at Amoeba!

Sigh. :lucymeh: