Lucille Ball on Johnny Carson Saturday Night

LittleRickyII

I was under the impression that Antenna TV's Johnny Carson showings were from some year but the actual current date. (don't know why I thought this). If this is the "Tonight Show" I remember, they show "It's Today" from "Mame".

Gawd so missing not having Antenna TV right now! Do we have a "waaaahhhh" emoticon??? :lucydaze: :lucydaze:

I was under the impression that Antenna TV's Johnny Carson showings were from some year but the actual current date. (don't know why I thought this). If this is the "Tonight Show" I remember, they show "It's Today" from "Mame".

I think the show is supposed to have some significance to the day it is airing. Lucy's is on the 65th anniversary of I Love Lucy.

I think the show is supposed to have some significance to the day it is airing. Lucy's is on the 65th anniversary of I Love Lucy.

That's interesting.  I would have never caught on because they never (to my knowledge) announce a reason they are airing a particular episode.

I Love Lucy is now officially a senior citizen so should qualify for Social Security.

That's interesting.  I would have never caught on because they never (to my knowledge) announce a reason they are airing a particular episode.

I Love Lucy is now officially a senior citizen so should qualify for Social Security.

I've often wondered (my mind works in strange ways sometimes, just goes along with my curious nature I guess) do people the stature of Lucy and her ilk actually draw their Social Security once they reach an age where it'd be available to them?? Not they need it but they're no less entitled to it so.... I wonder what some of our stars and personalities "of a certain age" do in this regard?

Thoughts? :lucyhehe:

This is the episode where Ricky refers to World War ONE: "That was THIRTY-THREE years ago" The end of WW1 is now 98 years ago.In the category of "time flies so fast it's mind-blowing", WW1 to 1951 I Love Lucy is the equivalent of 1983 today! And I'm still wearing some of the same clothes.

And speaking of WW1, the US involvement was only a little less than a year and a half. US involvement in WW2 was a little more than 3 1/2 years. Compare that to the drawn out wars of today.

Unless you count Gulf War 1 (I don't) or Reagan's muscle-flexing invasion of tiny Grenada, the US for all the money thrown at the defense department has not had a bona fide military victory since WW2. Our country learned only one lesson from Vietnam. This time we are not villain-izing the troupes themselves. Yes, I got off-topic.

55, maybe but never....

I've often wondered (my mind works in strange ways sometimes, just goes along with my curious nature I guess) do people the stature of Lucy and her ilk actually draw their Social Security once they reach an age where it'd be available to them?? Not they need it but they're no less entitled to it so.... I wonder what some of our stars and personalities "of a certain age" do in this regard?

Thoughts? :lucyhehe:

Well we all contribute to Social Security throughout our lifetime working, so they're certainly entitled to draw from it once they reach that age.  However, I would hope, given the monetary blessings they have received from their fame, that they would be charitable and be willing to give back to society.

I didn't notice any obvious edit points but I'm nearly sure that a clip from Mame was shown in the original broadcast.   My memory says it was most of the "It's Today" number.   The movie had not yet opened here and I was a little disappointed in her toneless vocals, particularly after having been led astray by the clip shown on Merv the previous fall.  Other than  It's Today, her vocals are actually pretty good (on the Lucy scale).  I wonder if the critics would have attacked her singing as much without "IT". 

I don't understand her comment: "The three people that knocked the picture were the three people who should  :blink: and the rest of them were great."

Link for download of the program. I only included the Lucy parts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jndn09mn60bqzxt/carson%20full%20converted.mp4?dl=0

Well...parts is parts.  Love Lucy's hair here, I almost wanna name it! Did Irma get carried away or did she not get to finish?? A decided pronounced "flip" on one side compared to the other (is that why she walked on listing to the left?? I'm KIDDING!! :HALKING: )

And Desi Jr. is (still) looking pretty fine here, but what's with the cane?? Can't wait to watch this with the sound on so I can find out! :peachonthebeach:

Thanks Shelly! :D :D :D

Lucy had this side flip wig a few other times. I think the Donny and Maria show is where I remember it most.

Oh once you turn the sound on you'll see why Lucy sat there with her mouth open for what seemed like 5 mins.

Can't wait to watch it later tonight, thanks again Shelly! I haven't investigated Dropbox yet, is there an "expiration date" for these files you're placing there for those of us who don't have an account (yet?)? :D

Yup, I know it's not her first flip, I think she had this same do/wig in "Lucy Gets Lucky" (Dean Martin/Las Vegas), among others but it just seems "extra flippy" to me in this particular appearance... and if she was happy with it (and Irma, god love her), so am I! :HALKING: