Oh, But Yes! "How To Marry A Millionaire" Coming to DVD!

JoeySanJoaquin

How to Marry a Millionaire: Barbara Eden Stars In 'The Complete Series' of the 1957 Show

• Barbara Eden ("I Dream of Jeannie") stars in "How to Marry A Millionaire," the late 1950s sitcom about three young women who move to the big city in search of wealthy men as potential husbands. Three twenty-something women move to Park Avenue in New York City with the intent of landing a rich husband. Each episode follows the adventures, and mishaps, of the friends as they try to help each other meet a husband, while at the same time avoid eviction from the ritzy penthouse suite.

In 1953 a trio of legendary actresses - Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, and Lauren Bacall - starred in a film from 20th Century Fox called How to Marry a Millionaire. In 1957, the film was spun off into a syndicated television series. It reportedly was one of the first TV shows from Fox, as well as being among the earliest sitcoms based on a feature film.

It was also the first time future I Dream of Jeannie star Barbara Eden would be cast as a regular member of. In the first season of the show, which ran 39 episodes, Eden was third banana in the credits, behind Lori Nelson (Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair) and Merry Anders (Young Jesse James). When Nelson left after the first season, Eden was promoted to being the first-billed actress, while Lisa Gaye (The Glenn Miller Story) now rounded out the cast during the brief (13 episodes) second and final season.

CBS Home Entertainment hasn't formally announced this item yet, but now Amazon.com's CreateSpace MOD (manufacture on demand) program is taking pre-orders for How to Marry a Millionaire - The Complete Series on DVD. Priced at $29.99 SRP, this 7-disc set appears to be in-the-works for an upcoming release in the packaging shown below (taken from Amazon's listing...the "Season 2" artwork is currently incorrect, since it continues to show Nelson among the cast!).

Dabbs Greer had an early recurring role in the show, but he left soon into the series. Other familiar faces include Morey Amsterdam and Richard Deacon of The Dick Van Dyke Show, an early role for Stacy Keach of Mike Hammer and Titus fame, Werner Klemperer of Hogan's Heroes, and Ted Knight from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  When will it come out? The studio isn't providing a date for it yet, and neither is Amazon: their listing only says, "This title has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives." Stay tuned for updates, as they become available!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Marry-Millionaire-The-Complete-Series/22742

• 2 months later...

My copy arrived today and I watched the first two episodes. So far, it's pretty entertaining. Barbara has some great "sight" gags (sorry) as the nearsighted Loco. The video quality isn't quite as good as some of CBS' releases of other classic series, but it does look like the episodes were cleaned up a little at some point. I'm really looking forward to digging into this series.