"Together for Christmas" vs. "Lucy, the Choirmaster"

I like them both, but which do you prefer?

Me-TV ran "Choirmaster" as part of their Christmas episode marathon.    As you all know, this was from the 4th season and the last episode that featured Jimmy Garrett---who popped in as Jerry as if he'd never been away.  

The thing I love about "Choirmaster" is that Lucy's character still had that innocence that made her so lovable.  And it's one of the few that benefits from the edited CBS did for their morning runs, versions that more than not, run instead of unedited versions. 

I like them both, but which do you prefer?

Me-TV ran "Choirmaster" as part of their Christmas episode marathon. As you all know, this was from the 4th season and the last episode that featured Jimmy Garrett---who popped in as Jerry as if he'd never been away.

The thing I love about "Choirmaster" is that Lucy's character still had that innocence that made her so lovable. And it's one of the few that benefits from the edited CBS did for their morning runs, versions that more than not, run instead of unedited versions.

I definitely prefer Together for Christmas. The Lucy vs. Viv interplay has seldom been so well done. I also love that it's one of the first Christmas episodes that addressed the varying traditions families can have, versus other episodes which either ignore or homogenize everyone into celebrating the exact same way.

I think I've only seen Choirmaster twice since I got the DVD. I liked it but didn't love it. I found it rather slow. How does the syndicated cut improve it, does it just tighten everything up nicely?

While watching Choirmaster tonight I thought that the audience added a lot to this. As Lucy keeps collecting the names off the presents it isn't just the laughter at what she's doing but the shocked laughs and "oh nos" from the audience that keep helping the joke along. The more she pulls the bigger the reactions.

And then when buying the tree she comments how bare the salesman is when he's pretending to be a tree. The nervous/naughty chuckles from the audience as the little man covers his crotch again give this joke a good payoff.

• Like 2

I definitely prefer Together for Christmas. The Lucy vs. Viv interplay has seldom been so well done. I also love that it's one of the first Christmas episodes that addressed the varying traditions families can have, versus other episodes which either ignore or homogenize everyone into celebrating the exact same way.

I think I've only seen Choirmaster twice since I got the DVD. I liked it but didn't love it. I found it rather slow. How does the syndicated cut improve it, does it just tighten everything up nicely?

CBS morning version:  after Mooney discovers the card/package mix up, he blows up which leads Lucy into the speech about "being kind to your fellow man this time of year even if he's a woman"....and the scene ends with no laugh but a touching moment between Lucy and Mooney as he backs down, very unusual for this series especially a this point.

In the original the scene continues, a still contrite Mooney gives Lucy the package with her present..."I want you to take this...."I would have loved it if they had just left it there, but then Mooney goes back into bluster mode ".....BACK TO THE STORE FOR A REFUND", destroying the emotional mood created by previous dialogue. 

Yes, I suppose "Choirmaster" is a bit plotless, but all the scenes work.  And its noteworthy for the sudden (and last) reappearance of Jerry, obviously AWOL and in such trouble he had to change his name, never to be seen again but probably ended on Sunset Strip with the Itchy Walton crowd. 

• Like 2