"Maude" #2 Has Passed Away at Age 100

I haven't seen anything about this here but I think it's worth mentioning for anyone who is a fan of The Carol Burnett Show.  If you are a fan (and many of you are), you CERTAINLY know this lady, even if you're not familiar with her name, Terry McCann.  She passed away last June at the ripe old age of 100!  If her name doesn't ring a bell, watch this:

I believe her appearance on the show was in 1977 or earlier (I'm guessing around '74), even though in this next clip Ms. McCann says it was 1979.  This is from Carol's short-lived early 1990s series.  Carol invited Ms. McCann to her new show to relive her earlier moment (starting at 2:30):

Here's a fascinating tidbit.  That woman who was sitting in the audience in 1977 (or 1974 or whenever it was), wondering if Terry McCann was Bea Arthur?  Well many years later -- 2011 to be exact -- her grandson, Ben Verbeck, put up a web page telling the story about how he found among his possessions a portrait of a woman in 1890s clothing.  And written in the corner:  "To Gladys With Love Terry 'Maude' McCann."  He was wanting to know who Gladys was and who Terry McCann was.  Someone responded in the comment section with a link to the Youtube clip from TCBS.  Upon seeing that, he recognized his grandmother in the audience.  So that answers part of the question of how the picture might have ended up in his possession, and who the woman was in the portrait (Terry McCann).  I guess the question still remains, though, Who's Gladys?

http://benverbeck.blogspot.com/2011/03/to-gladys-with-love-terry-maude-mccann.html

Anyway, back to Ms. McCann, here is her obituary from last year:

Obituary for Theresa C McCann

THERESA CATALDA (CAPOZZA) McCANN passed away at the age of 100 on June 6, 2016 at Bayside Village in L’Anse, Michigan. She was born in Taranto, Italy on May 10, 1916 to Egidio and Frances (Fella) Capozza. She came to America in May of 1920 with her parents and sister Rose. Theresa was a beautician for 50 years, owning her own shops in Southern California. Before moving to CA the family resided in Pennsylvania. They moved to CA in 1954. Theresa enjoyed music and sang whenever the opportunity arose. Theresa was very proud of her Italian heritage and could read, write and speak Italian and enjoyed it very much when given the chance to speak with someone who understood the language.

Theresa is survived by her daughters Joan (Robert) Thompson of Sidnaw, Michigan and Teresa (Gary) Bishop of Strongsville, Ohio. Also surviving are two sisters, Rose Sabol and Alberina Perunko of PA and one brother Edward Capozza also of PA. Theresa was Grandmother to 12 grandchildren, 11 great grand children and 4 great great grandchildren, also many nieces, nephews and cousins in this country and in Italy. Preceding her in death are 2 sons, Joseph Mauro and Ronald Congie and one daughter Virginia Rose Mauro, her sister Edith Caputo and brothers Cosmo and Joseph Capozza.

Funeral services for Theresa were held at 1 p.m. on Thursday, June 9, 2016 at the Reid Funeral Service and Chapel, L’Anse with Pastor John Henry officiating. The family greeted friends at the funeral chapel on Thursday from 12 noon until the time of the service. Immediately following the funeral service, the family invited friends to join them for a luncheon in the Harrington Gathering Room, located at the funeral chapel.

http://www.reidfuneralservicechapel.com/obituaries/Theresa-Mccann/#!/Obituary

That obviously positive spirit and joie de vivre I guess is what kept her heart beating for one hundred years.  What a great memory she left for many people.

• Like 1

I loved seeing the clip from Carol and Company! I never knew Carol and Terry reunited. Carol always shows her duet with Terry in her Q&A tour. I saw Carol in September and she mentioned that Terry passed away earlier in the year at 100. In the Q&A show and in Carol's retrospectives, the part where the audience member asks if Terry is Maude is cut out. So when they show it now, Terry keeps pointing to the lady when she sings "You Made Me Love You" and it gives the impression that the two are a couple. It seems very progessive for 1977!

• Like 1

I loved seeing the clip from Carol and Company! I never knew Carol and Terry reunited. Carol always shows her duet with Terry in her Q&A tour. I saw Carol in September and she mentioned that Terry passed away earlier in the year at 100. I

I didn't realize they had reunited, either.  I watched a couple episodes of her early '90s show, but I didn't watch it regularly (it was nowhere near as good as the original) so I'm sure I missed seeing the Terry McCann reunion. 

the part where the audience member asks if Terry is Maude is cut out. So when they show it now, Terry keeps pointing to the lady when she sings "You Made Me Love You" and it gives the impression that the two are a couple. It seems very progessive for 1977!

Haha!  That's very funny.  :)

• Like 1

I loved seeing the clip from Carol and Company! I never knew Carol and Terry reunited. Carol always shows her duet with Terry in her Q&A tour. I saw Carol in September and she mentioned that Terry passed away earlier in the year at 100. In the Q&A show and in Carol's retrospectives, the part where the audience member asks if Terry is Maude is cut out. So when they show it now, Terry keeps pointing to the lady when she sings "You Made Me Love You" and it gives the impression that the two are a couple. It seems very progessive for 1977!

GREAT clip and while no longer "Maude"-like, she looked great....and so did Carol.  Well sadly, that definitely wasn't taped at her old Studio 33 "home" (also used by TMTMH later), but with it's "claustrophobic" set up, wondering if it was even shot a CBS at all?  Do we have any data? :peachonthebeach: