The Mary Tyler Moore Hour

Brock

The throwing sushi part was the only part I actually laughed out loud at. I hope Lucy did come up with that.

The whole Mike Douglas scene is so clumsily executed.  Mike introduces Lucy and she drags Mary McKinnon onstage with her.  I assume this "McKinnon" woman is the fictionalized version of a Carol Burnett-like variety show star and has some measure of celebrity.  Rather than spend time talking to the two, Mike brings on the first guest, the noise maker, has him do his schtick (with no interview) and then its on to "our next guest", the sushi chef.   Mary's drunk bit just doesn't work.  She's silly and goofy rather than the more appropriate embarrassed since she has to know she's drunk on national TV and LIVE since it's being viewed by that schlump of a producer, of the MMcK Show, terribly miscast if he was to be similar to Mr. Grant.  

From the opening credits of subsequent episodes, it looks like they added regulars Doris Roberts and Dody Goodman somewhere along the way.  I haven't watch so I don't know if learn anything about Mary McKinnon's private life.

Too bad Joyce Van Patten never appeared in a vehicle that showed off her considerable comedy talents. She is an unsung bright spot in "Mame", probably the best thing I've ever seen her do.  

Mary (variety)  The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, Mary (sitcom) and Annie Maquire had a total of 37 episodes, or roughly 9 episodes per series.  I remember "Mary" the mid 80s sitcom and it wasn't bad but it was hampered by debuting mid-season  in a bad time slot and was pretty much a carbon of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. 

The whole Mike Douglas scene is so clumsily executed. Mike introduces Lucy and she drags Mary McKinnon onstage with her. I assume this "McKinnon" woman is the fictionalized version of a Carol Burnett-like variety show star and has some measure of celebrity. Rather than spend time talking to the two, Mike brings on the first guest, the noise maker, has him do his schtick (with no interview) and then its on to "our next guest", the sushi chef. Mary's drunk bit just doesn't work. She's silly and goofy rather than the more appropriate embarrassed since she has to know she's drunk on national TV and LIVE since it's being viewed by that schlump of a producer, of the MMcK Show, terribly miscast if he was to be similar to Mr. Grant.

From the opening credits of subsequent episodes, it looks like they added regulars Doris Roberts and Dody Goodman somewhere along the way. I haven't watch so I don't know if learn anything about Mary McKinnon's private life.

Too bad Joyce Van Patten never appeared in a vehicle that showed off her considerable comedy talents. She is an unsung bright spot in "Mame", probably the best thing I've ever seen her do.

Mary (variety) The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, Mary (sitcom) and Annie Maquire had a total of 37 episodes, or roughly 9 episodes per series. I remember "Mary" the mid 80s sitcom and it wasn't bad but it was hampered by debuting mid-season in a bad time slot and was pretty much a carbon of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Doris Roberts played Mary's maid in one episode (the Bea Arthur one) and then was replaced by Dody Goodman. Doris' character was very no nonsense, Dody's was flighty. Dody was very funny. Ron Rifkin only lasted a couple episodes in the "Murray Slaughter" role. He was replaced by Bobby Ramsen and this was not a good change.

The Lucy episode is the best episode of the series for two reasons: 1. Lucy and 2. there aren't any "show within a show" comedy sketches. This was the weakest part of the subsequent episodes. This just has the Laurel and Hardy bit, which has its charm. The other episodes had Mary and the guest doing actual sketches, which didn't work. I do find the musical numbers very enjoyable on the show. It's too bad they did the "speed it up a little" section in Lucy's number.

29th rating not bad.

two new CBS entries on Sunday, March 4th: Stockard Channing in Just Friends and The Mary Tyler Moore Hour.

Ratings for these new programs were mixed. Billy ranked 43rd for the week, Flatbush tied for 46th,Cliffhangers 53rd and Married: The First Year 57th [40]. The pilot for Mrs. Columbo did well, ranking 18th, but when the series moved to its regular Thursday time slot it slipped to 45th [41]. Stockard Channing in Just Friends did well, ranking 14th, while The Mary Tyler Moore Show had to settle for 29th [42].

From http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/midseason1979/

29th rating not bad.

two new CBS entries on Sunday, March 4th: Stockard Channing in Just Friends and The Mary Tyler Moore Hour.

Ratings for these new programs were mixed. Billy ranked 43rd for the week, Flatbush tied for 46th,Cliffhangers 53rd and Married: The First Year 57th [40]. The pilot for Mrs. Columbo did well, ranking 18th, but when the series moved to its regular Thursday time slot it slipped to 45th [41]. Stockard Channing in Just Friends did well, ranking 14th, while The Mary Tyler Moore Show had to settle for 29th [42].

From http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/midseason1979/

Great source, Will. Interesting read.  :D

Archived