"Glitter" with Ginger Rogers

1984: This is one of Ginger's last roles.  And she plays it to the hilt.  "Glitter" was a short-lived version of those Aaron Spelling 80s shows like "Love Boat" where several stories are intertwined.  Most of the "Glitter" stories were more serious than this one.   I've edited this hour down to just the Ginger parts.  I doubt anyone could top Ginger, but given that Lucy was about to start a professional relationship with Aaron Spelling, it would have been interesting to see what Lucy would have done with this part. 

I'll say this for Spelling and his franchise: at least he was giving work to past-their-prime but still capable performers.  And that's it for the plus column.  I find "Love Boat" virtually unwatchable with scripts that rival "Lucy and Ma Parker" for their banality.

So watch Ginger's last hurrah.  She suffered a major stroke in about 1990 (she doesn't cover this in her autobiography).  I saw her on a speaking tour at our (Portland) Powell Books and actually have video somewhere. 

Thank you. Watched it last night and about half way through I said, "this is a Simpsons episode."  The episode in question is when Moe gets hit in the face and becomes attractive, he gets a part on a long running soap opera. He eventually thinks they are going to kill him off by sneaking a future script. So he works with Homer to stage a scene on the live broadcast to thwart his death. 

On 2/27/2018 at 11:05 AM, Neil said:

1984: This is one of Ginger's last roles.  And she plays it to the hilt.  "Glitter" was a short-lived version of those Aaron Spelling 80s shows like "Love Boat" where several stories are intertwined.  Most of the "Glitter" stories were more serious than this one.   I've edited this hour down to just the Ginger parts.  I doubt anyone could top Ginger, but given that Lucy was about to start a professional relationship with Aaron Spelling, it would have been interesting to see what Lucy would have done with this part. 

I'll say this for Spelling and his franchise: at least he was giving work to past-their-prime but still capable performers.  And that's it for the plus column.  I find "Love Boat" virtually unwatchable with scripts that rival "Lucy and Ma Parker" for their banality.

So watch Ginger's last hurrah.  She suffered a major stroke in about 1990 (she doesn't cover this in her autobiography).  I saw her on a speaking tour at our (Portland) Powell Books and actually have video somewhere. 

Amazing cast, typical of Spelling "dramas". Anyone know who the red head is? For a moment I thought it was Cara Williams but this gal appears a bit younger (and yes, I checked via IMDB but was still unable to discern who she was!).

Guess it'd help if I actually watched it with the "mute" button off! :HALKING:

8 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Amazing cast, typical of Spelling "dramas". Anyone know who the red head is? For a moment I thought it was Cara Williams but this gal appears a bit younger (and yes, I checked via IMDB but was still unable to discern who she was!).

Guess it'd help if I actually watched it with the "mute" button off! :HALKING:

Millicent Martin

• 2 weeks later...