The Lucy Show in 5 minutes

Neil

Can we talk about how in just the two seconds shown of the Dean Martin episode, she shows more acting prowess and radiates more charm than many of today's popular artists have in their entire careers? 

That isn't to say we don't have some terrific people working nowadays, and I certainly don't want to discredit the 327 other seconds, but come on! There's something really special about that!

• Like 1

"The Lucy Show" is really an amazing body of work.  Look at the range of what she was required to do.  "Nothing could top what we've done.  I'd be foolish to try".  Well, I for one am grateful she changed her mind.   "TLS" is never mentioned when the sitcoms of the 60s are referenced, though it was one of the 2nd highest rated (averaging rankings in the top 10) tying with Andy Griffith at #4.5,   The #1 comedy of the 60s was, believe it or not, "Gomer Pyle" at a #4 average for its 5 years and the only reason it was that low is because in its 3rd season, CBS moved it to Wednesdays and the ratings dipped to #10.  In its Friday night time slot, it was either #2 or #3 every season, including its last. 

I agree that "Dean Martin" is a great display of Lucy's more subtle acting talents.  I love the way she reads the line "For one thing you're married" after she says she can't accept the Audrey Hepburn jacket and Dean says "Why not?".  It's a great episode.  Lucy's favorite of all her series, she said once.   One week she's doing this type of more sophisticated comedy and the next week may find her riding a motorized skateboard (or whatever that thing is), steering it by just leaning (and then righting herself to make her exit: what amazing agility!)  I love her hairstyle in "Dean".  I think she wore it that way in at least one other episode but then went back to her former style.  I noticed her hair looks different in "L&V are Tycoons" and I like that style too.  Don't know if it was that way for more than this episode.

TLS takes a back seat to ILL, of course, but it's even less revered than Here's Lucy, which I find baffling.       

Here's the 12 minute version from which I edited the 5 minute version.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I love her hairstyle in "Dean".  I think she wore it that way in at least one other episode but then went back to her former style.  I noticed her hair looks different in "L&V are Tycoons" and I like that style too.  Don't know if it was that way for more than this episode.

The Dean hair was worn in Lucy and the Countess have a Horse Guest, a Password episode and also a talk show with guest Mahammand Ali. 

The Tycoons hair when she is wearing the chef hat is all Lucy's own hair. She would go back and forth between wig and real hair quite often in those early seasons. Those  rare glimpses we get of her real hair, it's so fluffy. 

2 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

The Dean hair was worn in Lucy and the Countess have a Horse Guest, a Password episode and also a talk show with guest Mahammand Ali. 

The Tycoons hair when she is wearing the chef hat is all Lucy's own hair. She would go back and forth between wig and real hair quite often in those early seasons. Those  rare glimpses we get of her real hair, it's so fluffy. 

So did her natural hair preclude the use of the Irma skullcap lift?  I don't notice any difference in her face 

4 hours ago, Neil said:

So did her natural hair preclude the use of the Irma skullcap lift?  I don't notice any difference in her face 

I would think so because how do you hide it? Two other good episodes to look for wig and real are Duck hunt and Softball. I have tried to see how different her face looks and it's not noticable, which I think proved she just didn't need it.

6 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Lucy also wore this hairstyle on What's My Line? and in the kids screen tests for Yours, Mine and Ours. 

Great video.  I find TLS revered more than HL.  It did better in syndication and awards and sometimes HL is referred to as TLS.  I love TLS as much as ILL HL depended on the episode.   Also HL looks more dated due to culture references in jokes than the other 2 shows

• Like 1