LUCY & JOAN

Lucy & Joan

I've watched that clip a thousand times, it's one of my faves, all three of her Joan Rivers interviews are terrific, Joan was so good at making her look good. This one was the first, plugging her All Star Party, another great show. The second interview was to plug Stone Pillow and the third as Life with Lucy was failing in the ratings. I love it when Joan asks her how she got started and she said I DON'T REMEMBER and yet goes on for five minutes with every detail down pat. She says at the end, the picture was for six weeks, it took six months and i've been out here 30 something years, wish she had been honest and said FIFTY something years. And it's also funny that she mentions that she only wants to live a few more years, she used to always say five more years and that's exactly what happened, five years later, she was gone.

I've watched that clip a thousand times, it's one of my faves, all three of her Joan Rivers interviews are terrific, Joan was so good at making her look good. This one was the first, plugging her All Star Party, another great show. The second interview was to plug Stone Pillow and the third as Life with Lucy was failing in the ratings. I love it when Joan asks her how she got started and she said I DON'T REMEMBER and yet goes on for five minutes with every detail down pat. She says at the end, the picture was for six weeks, it took six months and i've been out here 30 something years, wish she had been honest and said FIFTY something years. And it's also funny that she mentions that she only wants to live a few more years, she used to always say five more years and that's exactly what happened, five years later, she was gone.

Me too I love this clip

I always thought about that 30 years thing lol

Glad ya like it!

I always thought about that 30 years thing lol

Well, that first acting job that she got out in Hollywood was back in '33 for the Eddie Cantor movie, that was the picture that took six months, so thirty years later would have put her on The Lucy show second season instead of 1984 which is when they filmed the All Star Party and she celebrated her 23rd wedding anniversary on the show, you know, when she married her very own bagle boy, LOL! :lucy2: Awww shucks, there's no pic of gary to go with that, darnitall. Here's the closest thing i could find, :sid:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love these interviews with Joan.

And why would you not? Lucy looked great, was energetic and had fun and Joan was a true fan, you can tell by how she treats her. All three were absolutely G R E A T although the later one plugging Life with Lucy was quite sad, although Lucy never looked better at that stage of her life. Joan also did a tribute to I Love Lucy on her later afternnon syndicated show that was terrific also, with Irma, Desi jr and others.

She did look great, didn't she? She carried herself so well, too. Thanks for sharing, Lamarr!

We're back to that thing again of if she liked the person, she always came off better. I think Joan was like Merv or Mike, they made her feel comfortable so she had a good time, same with Dinah. Not so carson.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this, Lamarr! :D

I agree, Claude, she had a certain sparkle when being interviewed by people she was comfortable with. I'm curious, now -- did she have a bad experience once with Carson?

Good God, how i wish i knew, first of all, she LOVED Carson, she watched his show every night while in bed with goldapper and i guess watching carson was better than having sex with toupee boy, LOL! Seriously, she went on Carson many times, BUT, the last time she went, around the time of Mame, she went with her black wig on, wanting a change, he had just introduced her as the world's greatest RED head or something and could not hide his SURPRISE and disapointment when she came out. Now if you KNOW carson, you know everything was rehearsed beforehand and nothing was spontaneous, so, i figured he never asked her back because she surprised him and he wasn't ready for it, i dunno, then she got back at him the worst way she could, she appeared whenever Joan Rivers subsituted for him on his many many nights off, she was on THREE times with Joan and then even went on her FOX show which competed with his and he never spoke to Joan again after she dared have a show opposite his, guests were probably blackballed when they did other shows like the Tonight Show people did afterwards with leno. I used to hate it when he fawned over Jimmy Stewart but never had Lucy on who was a much bigger star, i've hated him ever since, but because i felt betrayed that his JOKES were all prepared in advance and he couldn't ad lib his way out of a paper bag. BUT, he did do the best Lucy joke ever when he introduced her at her Friar's Club tribute when he called her Lucille Testicule. :lucythrill:

Carson sounds like an immature putz. He got his little feelings hurt over the stupidest crap. :lucyshock:

Make that overrated untalented immature putz, LOL! Hated himafter i read Here's Johnny which divulged how everything including his brilliant ad libs were all written out for him in advance, BUT, i liked him again when he faced the cameras after his son died and he showed us some his kid's artwork, felt very sorry for him, as i would for any parent who loses a child.

Archived