1959 Steve Allen musical number

I don't think people realize what a technical marvel this number was to produce considering the technology of 1958.  I think the original was in color and those color broadcast TV cameras of the late 50's were about the size of a Mini Cooper and the cables connecting them to the control room were as thick as PVC pipe and very, very heavy.  No remote control cameras so a cameraman (sorry ladies, that's what they were called) had to be riding in reverse the whole time.  The staging and split-second timing of everyone involved deserves applause.  Notice when they finally make the entire loop.  They could have cut to the camera already on the set, but they chose to keep the same camera so it was all in one take, forcing all the singers to walk forward on the beat and turn their heads toward the camera behind them.    And notice that Ann leaves the group and rejoins it later.  She had to hustle ahead of them to come back in at the right time.  Lipping to a pre-recorded track takes away from performances, but with everything else going on, I can forgive them for that.  I think someone had posted this before but this version includes an insert, recreating the route as it is today which I thought was cool. (or woke or sick, to use today's slang). 

Everyone one of these actors/singers appeared on a Lucy series or special, except for Frank.  (However they did appear on 1968 Emmys together when Frank sang the intro to Lucy and Carol's I Remember It Well duet. And there was the episode "Lucy and the Dummy" (?) that cut away to Frank singing something from an upcoming movie.  Lucy seemed to adore Frank as a lot of people did.  I've got a recording of Lucy presenting at the 66-67 Emmys (it was earlier in the evening from when she won).  Her category: Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Music.  Lucy was professional and polished and got down to business right away--with no jokes --announcing the nominees:  "Brigadoon", "Toscannini: the Maestro Revisited, Bell Telephone Hour and "Frank Sinatra: A Man and His Music".  The way she said this title, you could tell she loved Frank and when she opened envelope, she heaved what sounded like a sigh of frustration (that Frank didn't win?) when she announced "Brigadoon" as the winner. 

Side note: I had no idea until much later that Ann Sothern was such a fine singer.  It's a wonder the producer's of her shows didn't include musical episodes.  As an executive at New York's fictitious Barkley house (Katy O'Connor in The Ann Sothern Show, there would have been plenty of realistic opportunity.  The hotel could have had a lounge with shows as a lot of them did. I haven't seen all of Ann's show episodes but I don't remember her singing on any of them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

It would have been fun for them to have done "Lucy and the Countess Put on a Show" episode. 

That would've been brilliant. It's a shame they didn't utilize the Countess after season 4. Having Ann recur during the final two seasons would've provided some welcome continuity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mot Morenzi said:

That would've been brilliant. It's a shame they didn't utilize the Countess after season 4. Having Ann recur during the final two seasons would've provided some welcome continuity.

It’s a shame she didn’t appear on HL, either. Really, it’s a shame she didn’t appear everywhere!

• Like 1