Lucy Chicago Mame Interview

This is a wonderful interview and loved hearing her say some stuff I've never heard before. I don't think I've heard her talk about Dr. Peale in an interview but this was neat to hear, especially the theory behind the quote I see so often attributed to her about loving yourself first. 

I knew Gary didn't like the cold and didn't go to Colorado. I have a recent letter I'll post soon where she even discussed it. Three days with out talking to him because he wanted to leave, huh.

This interviewer is obviously a fan.  SIX moments of spontaneous applause in the movie?  Other than the "Mame" number I wonder where they were.   When I saw Mame at the Portland premiere, there was applause when Lucy's name came on the screen; and applause for the choreography in the Mame number when the dancers form a circle around Lucy. 

• Like 2

I found this over on Facebook.

The interviewer, Warner Roberts, has a Facebook page. Apparently, her husband recently unearthed this interview (her first with a big celebrity). Here is her FB post that provides some back story:

"Oh, my gosh...Phantom (husband Bob) surprised me today with a disc on which was - ta da - my first interview with a celebrity - Lucille Ball. It was in Chicago for the premier of Mame, in which she starred. When my turn came - in the Rs - she was tired and told her husband, Gary Morton, that she wasn't going to do any more interviews. Oh, no .. my first...I had to go home with a tape for KHOU, Channel 11. I ran to her husband, explained that I was new and desperate and he made her do the interview. And, she was not happy. Well, when I told her that I had always thought that Lucy was a four letter word for LOVE, she melted and we had a GREAT talk. Mr. Morton said it was the best of the day. I was saved. Phantom had it transferred and voile .. I have my first celebrity interview - in 1974. Can you believe it? Only Phantom!"

• Like 1

If you have a marriage that's annulled, does that count as "being married before"?

Very little has been written about Gary's life pre-Lucy, at least that I've seen. Annulments are unusual enough that I've never known anyone who's had one and don't know the circumstances under they apply; as opposed to just getting a divorce.  I think not consummating the marriage is one reason, but how do the annulment-granters know for sure?  Maybe "not divulging you wear a toupee" is another?

7 hours ago, Neil said:

If you have a marriage that's annulled, does that count as "being married before"?

Very little has been written about Gary's life pre-Lucy, at least that I've seen. Annulments are unusual enough that I've never known anyone who's had one and don't know the circumstances under they apply; as opposed to just getting a divorce.  I think not consummating the marriage is one reason, but how do the annulment-granters know for sure?  Maybe "not divulging you wear a toupee" is another?

I've had lots of questions about Gary's first marriage and why it was annulled. Not consummating it is one reason and there can be religious reasons too. Google gives me a few more that vary from state to state. I think we can rule out a few.

• Fraud or misrepresentation. ...
  • No consummation of the marriage. ...
  • Incest. ...
  • Bigamy. ...
  • Underage. ...
  • Unsound mind. ...
  • Force

So maybe the fraud was failure to disclose toupee. Hey according to Paula's book Gary never told Lucy, she had to find out while in the throws of passion.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:44 AM, Neil said:

This interviewer is obviously a fan.  SIX moments of spontaneous applause in the movie?  Other than the "Mame" number I wonder where they were.   When I saw Mame at the Portland premiere, there was applause when Lucy's name came on the screen; and applause for the choreography in the Mame number when the dancers form a circle around Lucy. 

Spontaneous applause in a movie theater always gives me chills! I’ve never seen it happen with a contemporary movie, only screenings of older ones- never more than with That’s Entertainment at the humongous Redford Theatre in Detroit.