Lucie Opens the Oscars

Very cool! Anyone know the background behind Lucie being selected to open the Oscars? Seems like such a great honor, but surprises me since she was more known as a TV and theater actress, rather than being associated with films.

Also, anyone know if her parents were in the audience?  

Plus, I’d love to see her red carpet dress, assuming red carpet was a thing back then.

16 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

Plus, I’d love to see her red carpet dress, assuming red carpet was a thing back then.

Red carpet the way we know it now wasn't much of a thing then. It really was in the early 90s when E! first sent Joan Rivers to do a red carpet show did it become a thing. Joan began to ask "who are you wearing" which designers started to take notice of. The dresses showed up in the press and mags after the events. So designers and jewelry designers offered their stuff free to get stars to wear them. By the 2000s stylists became a necessity when dressing for an award show. And that's what we have now. All thanks to Joan.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

Very cool! Anyone know the background behind Lucie being selected to open the Oscars? Seems like such a great honor, but surprises me since she was more known as a TV and theater actress, rather than being associated with films.

Also, anyone know if her parents were in the audience?  

Lucie had just had a big movie hit with The Jazz Singer. Her parents were not there. 

This video is missing the beginning of Lucie's song. Lucie sings "Hooray for Hollywood" in front of film clips of some of the stars who died in the previous year (Jimmy Durante, Mae West, Alfred Hitchcock, Peter Sellers, Steve McQueen). 

• Like 1

Lucy never liked to "steal the spotlight" from Lucie.   I don't think she even attended the opening of "They're Playing Our Song" (but I don't know).

Note that Carol Burnett tells the meeting-Lucy story.  Lucy attended the 2ND night of "Once Upon a Mattress", not the opening.  I don't know what Carol's celebrity status was in 1959 but Lucy might have known that her appearance at the opening might have upstaged Carol. 

I remember Lucie getting good notices in Jazz Singer, but was it really a big hit movie?

On 8/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, Neil said:

I remember Lucie getting good notices in Jazz Singer, but was it really a big hit movie?

Lucie talks about her experience making The Jazz Singer here. Sounds like it was pretty successful at the box office, having won the Cinema Scope award from movie-goers.