Helen Beardsley on To Tell the Truth

Neil

The surefire way to narrow the field is to call her "Helen North" and if she responds "BEARDSLEY BEARDSLEY BEARDSLEY!!", you've got the real one. 

Interesting that there's no mention of the Desilu option on her book, which surely happened when this originally aired. 

Thanks, Neil! I've always wanted to see this. It's fun seeing their wedding invitation. I had heard they used their actual wedding invitation in the film. I compared it to the one in the movie and there are a few minor differences. The typeface is different and they removed the references to Carmel and the year 1961. By great luck, the 9th of September was a Saturday the year the movie was filmed, 1967, as well. 

I will tell you that the church they used in the movie, is not the Church of The Mission in San Francisco. I've googled for a while to try and find what church they did shoot the movie scenes at but it kept looping to that SF church. That's the correct church from the real Beardsley wedding. I took a lot of photos when I was in it a few years ago then compared to the movie and it's close but there are things that don't match up. 

Think the church is the San Fernando Mission in valley outside of Los Angeles. Morgan Brittany was talking about how hot it was in there when those scenes were being filmed during the 50th Anniversary party in Palm Springs a few weeks ago. I asked Michael Stern and he believes that's the name of it too.

14 hours ago, LucyEths said:

Think the church is the San Fernando Mission in valley outside of Los Angeles. Morgan Brittany were talking about how hot it was in there when those scenes were being filmed during the 50th Anniversary party in Palm Springs a few weeks ago. I asked Michael Stern and he believes that's the name of it too.

Thanks. I knew the instant I got to the one in SF the outside scenes were not filmed there. So it would make sense the inside and out were used for the filming. I looked up some mission style churches in CA and was surprised how similar their interiors were.  The SF Mission church was used in Vertigo though, so that was cool matching it up to that movie.