Lucy's MAME is coming on Blu-Ray!!!

JoeySanJoaquin

Never thought THIS would see the light of day!

Even if they don't "fix" the audio issues -- and there are plenty! -- this has GOT to be the best it's ever going to look on home video.

Plus, here's hoping they went beyond "bare bones" and have included some cool, rare bonus features...but I'm not holding my breath.

Stay tuned!  (Amazon states a release date of November 27th, so ...what a nice holiday gift! "We Need a Little Christmas NOW"!! :HALKING:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mame-Blu-ray/133683/#Packaging

https://www.amazon.com/Mame-Blu-ray-Lucille-Ball/dp/B07JKC12XG/ref=sr_1_4_twi_blu_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1540051672&sr=1-4&keywords=mame+blu-ray

Lucy MAME Blu-Ray.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IT'S TODAY!

My Blu-Ray just arrived! The only extras are the trailer and the (this time correctly titled) "Lucy Mame" featurette. I took a brief look at the film itself and it looks great. I'm debating whether or not to watch the whole movie tonight. I usually watch Mame during Christmas week, but I might need a little Christmas now. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

That's my biggest issue with the film. It looks beautiful and it's got a solid cast, but the pacing and direction could've been tighter.

The direction just seems clumsy and amateurish to me -- inexplicably so considering Saks' otherwise impeccable body of work as a director. One could put some of the blame on Onna White, but some of the blocking during a couple of numbers is just terrible, from the "It's a time for!" line up at the top of the stairs where Lucy's arms block out the face of a couple of chorus girls, while at one moment in "We Need a Little Christmas" Miss Ball has to zig zag around an awkwardly placed coffee table to take a step.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 3:16 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

That's my biggest issue with the film. It looks beautiful and it's got a solid cast, but the pacing and direction could've been tighter.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, Brock said:

The direction just seems clumsy and amateurish to me -- inexplicably so considering Saks' otherwise impeccable body of work as a director. One could put some of the blame on Onna White, but some of the blocking during a couple of numbers is just terrible, from the "It's a time for!" line up at the top of the stairs where Lucy's arms block out the face of a couple of chorus girls, while at one moment in "We Need a Little Christmas" Miss Ball has to zig zag around an awkwardly placed coffee table to take a step.

I couldn't agree more.  "Mame" seems to alternate good well-paced scenes with static boring ones.  A couple years ago, I put a video up on youtube (but they must have taken it down) called "Put the Blame for Mame" with the sub-title "Lucy or Gene Saks"?--because people always want to blame Lucy.  I cut back and forth between the same scene in "Auntie" and "Mame", when Mame decides to do a makeover on Agnes.   The scene in "Auntie" has much more motivation because the make-over is for Gooch's "date" with O'Banyon, Mame's book collaborator, a role not in the musical, Broadway or movie.   In "Mame", Mame and Vera are just doing it for a lark (and where they're sending her is not revealed).  The scene in "Auntie" is madcap and fun.  The scene in "Mame" just sort of lays there.         What's also missing in a lot of Mame scenes is orchestrated underscoring, which would have covered up a lot of those leaden scenes, of which there are unfortunately MANY.    Another example of lazy direction:  In the title song, after she's done her (impressive!) high kicks to "We think you're just sensational" and they move to another area for the dance sequence, Lucy is just slightly late on one of her lateral kicks which the chorus mimics behind her.   A good director would have reshot that even though it's a longish shot.    I think I know which movement you're talking about in "Christmas" but I'll have to look at the "it's a time for.." scene.  After "Operetta" maybe she wasn't taking any chances!   I did a complete re-edit of the "Mame" movie but Warners did not contact me as a Blu-Ray consultant...

• Like 2