Lucy in The Cher Show on Broadway

mickie

Last night I saw The Cher Show on Broadway and yes, Lucy is in the show.

The scene is set in the 70’s when Cher asked Lucy for advice when she was going through her divorce with Sonny. Since Lucy had experience on the break up of a very famous married couple, she was the perfect person to ask. In the show Cher and Lucy sing one of Cher’s songs “Heart of Stone” for the musical. This of course, never happened in real life but the conversation about Sonny definitely did.

Cher and Lucy had worked together on a TV special in 1979 but they had both known each other for a while as Cher’s Mom had worked on episodes of I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show.

It was a nice to treat to see Lucy in this how even if it was only for about 5 minutes. I believe Emily Skinner played Lucy, although in the Playbill this no confirmation on who played Lucille Ball.

• Like 2

Thanks for the recap. I had been following this show since it opened out of town. I knew there was the Lucy part and there was a song. I've been following the Bway boards to see if the Lucy part and song stayed in during the transfer to Bway.  Yes, that was Emily Skinner as Lucy. I believe she also played Cher's mom as well.

I'm hoping to see a photo from this scene soon but I don't think any show photos have been released yet, or I just haven't been alerted to them yet. 

From a Lucy fan, do you think the scene came off nice or cheesy? 

I'm sure Emily sang much better than real Lucy.

1 hour ago, Luvsbway said:

Thanks for the recap. I had been following this show since it opened out of town. I knew there was the Lucy part and there was a song. I've been following the Bway boards to see if the Lucy part and song stayed in during the transfer to Bway.  Yes, that was Emily Skinner as Lucy. I believe she also played Cher's mom as well.

I'm hoping to see a photo from this scene soon but I don't think any show photos have been released yet, or I just haven't been alerted to them yet. 

From a Lucy fan, do you think the scene came off nice or cheesy? 

I'm sure Emily sang much better than real Lucy.

No, i don't think it came off cheesy. The audience loved it and there was applause when Cher introduced Lucille Ball. I had heard it was in Chicago and that it might be taken out. Glad its still in the show. I haven't seen any photos and i didn't take one as its a Broadway show but i had 7th row center seats, so i could have got a great shot. After it opens, i am sure we will see some photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickie said:

No, i don't think it came off cheesy. The audience loved it and there was applause when Cher introduced Lucille Ball. I had heard it was in Chicago and that it might be taken out. Glad its still in the show. I haven't seen any photos and i didn't take one as its a Broadway show but i had 7th row center seats, so i could have got a great shot. After it opens, i am sure we will see some photos.

As one who always appreciates theater patrons who are considerate and follow the rules, thank you for no pictures. I'm happy to wait for the official press ones. 

Since the show is still in previews and not frozen yet, just a little bit more to go and hope the scene doesn't get cut. 

Thanks so much for the review.

How did the Lucy/Cher meeting take place in the show? Just wondering what the "structure" of the whole thing is.

Also, props for not taking your phone out in the theater! Common courtesy seems to have become a rare asset... Not that I'm not thoroughly grateful to our own Neil for secretly recording the Kaye Ballard farewell show!

11 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

How did the Lucy/Cher meeting take place in the show? Just wondering what the "structure" of the whole thing is.

Also, props for not taking your phone out in the theater! Common courtesy seems to have become a rare asset... Not that I'm not thoroughly grateful to our own Neil for secretly recording the Kaye Ballard farewell show!

Yes, I wouldn't take out a camera or phone at a Broadway show. Its just not done. The meeting between Lucy and Cher is set up at the beginning of the second act when Cher was having doubts about breaking up the marriage and the act and thinking America would hate her for this, so there is a brief talk with Lucy giving her advice and telling her to go on a get a new show, one with her name in the title - that always worked for me. Then they sing "Heart of Stone" worked into the show. It was probably only about 5 minutes long but fun. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

As one who always appreciates theater patrons who are considerate and follow the rules, thank you for no pictures. I'm happy to wait for the official press ones. 

Since the show is still in previews and not frozen yet, just a little bit more to go and hope the scene doesn't get cut. 

Thanks so much for the review.

Yes, I hope it stays in the show.

20 hours ago, mickie said:

In the show Cher and Lucy sing one of Cher’s songs “Heart of Stone” for the musical. This of course, never happened in real life but the conversation about Sonny definitely did.

Has Cher ever publicly discussed this real-life conversation with Lucy? Would love to see/read that interview.