Gary on Joan Rivers

3 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

Thanks, Shelly! Gary comes off very well in this clip.

I was very impressed. It's short but you feel the love. I liked how he repeated how proud of her he was. I think that is something that often doesn't come up when I talk to others about their marriage. It's so nice to hear it. He knew how special she was. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing!  Great to see an interview just of Gary.  A few thoughts: 

- seems a little strange that they interview Gary and then immediately  cut to home movies of her and the first husband 

-  Gary makes it sounds as if it was his choice to leave the Beverly Hills home and move to Palm Springs. I feel like I read somewhere that Lucy left the Palm Springs home to him and never intended for him to have the house at Roxbury.  I could be wrong, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JessiLu said:

-  Gary makes it sounds as if it was his choice to leave the Beverly Hills home and move to Palm Springs. I feel like I read somewhere that Lucy left the Palm Springs home to him and never intended for him to have the house at Roxbury.  I could be wrong, though.

My understanding about the house was Lucy left the kids the Roxbury house in the will to sell it and left Gary the Palm Springs house because she knew that he loved golf. I'm not entirely sure if he knew that's how she had her will done up, but don't spouses usually discuss what goes into their wills? Also didn't the house sell more like 94' and he was already moved out in 91' so maybe he knew he'd eventually have to move, so his thoughts to do it when he did were his true feelings.

• Like 2

It’s nice to see Gary get a chance to speak for himself; there’s a tendency to make him the butt of a lot of jokes, but watching this it’s not hard to see why he and Lucy worked well together. The point about how he was and always will be “the second husband” despite being married to Lucy for thirty years is interesting. I really loved how he talked about Lucy making him laugh without knowing she was being funny.

1 hour ago, Freddie2 said:

. I really loved how he talked about Lucy making him laugh without knowing she was being funny.

As much as Lucy said she wasn't funny, this is the third time Gary has pointed out that she was funny at home. Merv Griffin and I've Got A Secret were the other 2 I recall.

• Like 1