AFI Salute to Henry Fonda

This same channel (Sensei Dan W) has uploaded an essay-type video called "Why is I Love Lucy the Most Important Show Ever? And Why Didn't You Know It..". It's not totally accurate, but I really appreciate the thesis (duh!) and all of the foreknowledge that is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLl8iBL0TS4

It looks like "Sensei Dan" has quite a few video essays and uploads of rare TV broadcasts including many full AFI tributes. Definitely something to check out!

This is really fascinating.  1978.  All those people were still around.  We thought they'd last forever.  5, 10, 15 years later, most were gone.  

Lucy refers to a clip from YMO "shown earlier".  I didn't find that.   I think the still frames--with what appeared to be portions of their filmographies--were added for this version.  Maybe this was just the youtube upload, but appropriate that in the Japanese version the lips didn't quite match the words.  

One question (looking at the Japanese subtitles): how can one write in Japanese if you have sloppy penmanship??  And what must a Japanese typewriter look like?

22 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

This same channel (Sensei Dan W) has uploaded an essay-type video called "Why is I Love Lucy the Most Important Show Ever? And Why Didn't You Know It..". It's not totally accurate, but I really appreciate the thesis (duh!) and all of the foreknowledge that is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLl8iBL0TS4

It looks like "Sensei Dan" has quite a few video essays and uploads of rare TV broadcasts including many full AFI tributes. Definitely something to check out!

Very interesting.   I never thought of Lucy and Desi as a "mixed-race couple".  Was their marriage really "illegal in some states"?  Disappointed that he repeats the 20 pounds overweight story and that Vivian was TWO years younger than Lucy.  And she couldn't appear in public looking glamorous??  .....Fred & Ethel:  JEWISH???  Well, I missed that one.  His Mame comments are quite interesting.  Not quite sure I follow his logic.   I appreciate his enthusiasm, despite his getting a lot of details wrong.   He needs to go to his optometrist and have his glasses adjusted.  Notice how they keep slipping down.  

Youtube comment by ンマリ

"ありがとう(≧∇≦)ルシル・ボール大好き"
Ya took the words right out of my mouth!

• Like 1

I always cite them as an an interracial couple because that was an alleged issue with getting the show on the air. Of course thankfully it doesn't matter one bit where anyone came from nowadays (at least to most people:lucyblah:), but I've always considered their different backgrounds to be a talking point. 

And Re: Neil- The Jewish Mertzes was a bit of a head-scratcher, but I guess there wasn't anything to suggest otherwise. It probably speaks to Sensei Dan's presumptions about people more than anything. Other than the Christmas episode, religion is never even remotely touched upon, even with Ricky's extremely Catholic homeland. Had they done a reunion later on, say in the 70s, it would have been cool to see the characters conflicting about their beliefs and the changing times. Although that's never what the show was about, but whatever:lucy1: