Public Domain Lucy

I have a question regarding those Good Times VHS tapes many of is bought back in the 90s. My understanding is that the stuff on those tapes was pulled from what was public domain. First, is this correct?

Second, much of the stuff I’ve been able to find over the years either in newer bargain bin DVDs, YouTube or as extras on Lucy DVDs.  There are a few exceptions that I just can’t come across. One thing I’m looking for is the first episode of Steve Lawrence’s 1965 show. I have bits and pieces from those Good Times tapes but really would love to find the whole episode. I found one random site that was selling a DVD of it for $15. 

So if I’m looking for footage that is public domain material, shouldn’t it be easier to locate those individual clips, episodes, talk shows, etc that are on those VHS tapes?

The $15 disc is no doubt the same copy that's been circulating for years: poorly copied from a kinescope on to VHS, then copied and copied before being transferred somewhere along the way to DVD.  Subsequent Steve Lawrence Shows were done in color but unfortunately this one is in b/w.       It's Lucy at her absolute finest.  The show starts out with Lucy and Steve singing "Together Wherever We Go" (riding an elephant!).   Lucy sounds so good, at first I didn't think it was her.   I've been able to see bits of the original videotape in pristine quality but as far as I know it has not been released in any professional form, which is too bad.   This is a great variety hour (mainly due to Lucy's glamorous presence).  I don't know about the subsequent SL shows but the series fared so poorly in the ratings despite being part of the CBS Monday line-up, it was cancelled after 13 weeks.  I don't know who owns the rights now.  Maybe Lawrence will put it out one day.  One of the very last variety shows (if not THE last) to originate from New York.  Also one of the last that concentrated on music, rather than comedy.  There was an art to these musical-variety shows, missing from later variety series that concentrated on comedy.   Lawrence later showed great comic flair when he appeared on Carol Burnett.  Lucy's SL episode has no skits. 

I'd love to see the full show as well. Those clips are so tantalising.

Speaking of public domain, Tubi has the two part "Funny World of Lucy" documentary, at least the Australian version does. Unfortunately, it was encoded in the wrong frame rate and jutters and jerks constantly. I'll have to have my folks dig out my DVD copy if I want to see it properly again. 

I transferred some of my Goodtimes VHS to DVD, the rare stuff I didn't have anywhere else better on DVD. It plays fine on a DVD player but unfortunately I can't pull the clips onto my computer the way I transferred them. 

Thanks for the heads about the Steve Lawrence disk that was floating around. I was wondering about quality. I'll stay away until I can find something clearer.

I might have to dig out the Goodtimes stuff again but does anyone know if this clip is from the opening of Steve Lawrence? A marching band comes into the studio and Lucy appears at the top of a platform in a glamours dress. She then falls off the platform and is caught by a group below. 

16 minutes ago, Mot Morenzi said:

I remember her swinging on a giant chandelier. Wasn't that the same show where she shared the Marineland bloopers?

I think that was it, the chandelier. It had to be the same show as she was talking to Steve Lawrence about those porpoises. I remember that segment really well as I just loved as a teenager talk about behind the scenes. I watched that part a lot. 

45 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

What I would love most of all to see in its entirety from these collections is the Desi and Lucie Mike Douglas Show. 

YES!!! That fortunately my computer let me pull that from the DVD  but it's so short. That's a rare bit of interview there. Did Lucie and her dad show up on any other interview shows post 1960?

1 hour ago, Luvsbway said:

YES!!! That fortunately my computer let me pull that from the DVD  but it's so short. That's a rare bit of interview there. Did Lucie and her dad show up on any other interview shows post 1960?

I think that was it other than little interviews for their 1982 Miami carnival show.

I have seen one other bit of this show: Lucie did a smashing medley of “Thanks for the Memories,” “They Can’t That Away From,” and “You’re the Top” with special lyrics for her father, which had Desi in tears. Desi was co-host that whole week and Vivian and Desi Jr. were also guests, as were Eddie Bracken and former Desi band singer Jane Harvey.