The Steve Allen Comedy Hour (1980)

10 hours ago, Will said:

I only saw Lucy's sketch.   I remember Steve saying Lucy wasn't funny in it but I thought she was for what was written

Keep in mind this sketch was a remake from an earlier Allen show in which Lady Allen (Jayne Meadows) played the part.  So, of course, Steve-a-rino thought Lucy's performance paled in comparison.  I recongize Allen's contributions to TV, but not really a fan.

12 minutes ago, RodMcK1 said:

Keep in mind this sketch was a remake from an earlier Allen show in which Lady Allen (Jayne Meadows) played the part.  So, of course, Steve-a-rino thought Lucy's performance paled in comparison.  I recongize Allen's contributions to TV, but not really a fan.

Well when Steve Allen told all us fans at Loving Lucy 99' that she was dead and that we should "get over it" he was dead to me. I was never a fan anyways so that wasn't hard. And I don't know what even sparked that. We were just a bunch of people who loved the woman and her work and were there that weekend to celebrate it. We weren't all crying over the fact she was gone. 

• Like 1

Steve Allen was a multi-talented genius who did some pretty creative stuff over the years, but I get the impression that he and Jane were a bit jealous of more successful stars and the fact that Steve rarely got his due. I mean, it’s not like any of us would’ve watched The Steve Allen Comedy Hour if Lucy weren’t on it. 

Also- I can’t really find information about this show online. I wasn’t even aware of it in Lucy’s filmography. IMDb says it had about five episodes, so was it some kind of miniseries or a weekly sketch show that failed in the ratings? It was on NBC, which gives a little context to Lucy’s appearance since she was probably still associated with the network at this point. This was also an infamously dry period for NBC with Fred Silverman and other producers making a lot of missteps (cancelling Letterman, continuing SNL, for example) so maybe the show didn’t work and was too expensive to really gamble on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 7:59 AM, Luvsbway said:

Well when Steve Allen told all us fans at Loving Lucy 99' that she was dead and that we should "get over it" he was dead to me. I was never a fan anyways so that wasn't hard. And I don't know what even sparked that. We were just a bunch of people who loved the woman and her work and were there that weekend to celebrate it. We weren't all crying over the fact she was gone. 

Wow.. what a DICK