Dance, Girl, Dance Coming to The Criterion Collection May 19th, 2020

Freddie2

Loving the special features. I'll be getting this one. 

New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

New introduction by critic B. Ruby Rich

New selected-scene commentary featuring film historian Cari Beauchamp

PLUS: An essay by critic Sheila O’Malley

5 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

https://www.criterion.com/films/29633-dance-girl-dance

One of Lucy's best movies and certainly one of the most acclaimed by film critics, Dance, Girl, Dance is being given the prestigious Criterion treatment!

RIXjigxRY0Ut8RS64xHzhy6XSw2fX9_large.jpg

Oh my! Where's Dave Woodman or Henry Lamar when you need him!! :HALKING:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

A Facebook message to be sent and help is on the way. 

Good! That looks (to me) more like a young Mildred Natwick (!) than Maureen O'Hara, and I don't know WHO Lucy reminds me of but it's not Lucy! And what's with the hair color??

It looks like a "mishmash" of brown, blonde and red instead of the blonde(-ish) she's in the film, no? Oy! 😚

21 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Wow! 

Fingers crossed for The Magic Carpet! :marionstrong:

I've only watched Lucy's scenes from "Dance".  It seems like Lucy's  movie yet she's THIRD billed.  (Am I correct about this?)  People say that's her own singing in "My Mother Told Me".  I think they're right but am not 100% convinced.  To me, it sounds too good to be her but not good enough to be an actual singer.  It certainly sounds like her, but then again Lisa Kirk was able to twist her own accomplished singing voice into such a convincing  Roz Russell imitation in Gypsy that no 1962 review I've seen mentions the singing wasn't Roz.*    I wonder if sound mixing in 1940 could accomplish meshing Lucy's singing with that of a dubbing singer taking some of the notes (as they should have done in Mame).   Too bad "Dance" and "Big Street" have such double-bill, cheap-looking production values about them, robbing Lucy of Oscar attention. 

*For the record: some analyzers of Gypsy state the the vocals are a combination of Lisa and Roz.  Not precisely accurate. Roz's singing is limited to all of the undemanding "Mr. Goldstone" and the beginning of "Rose's Turn" up to the "I had a dream..." part. Yet the soundtrack album has a completely different version of "Rose's Turn" with Lisa doing the whole thing.  Lisa does "Together Wherever We Go" on the album, the song cut from the movie after previews.  The Gypsy DVD bonus tracks contains grainy footage of the song as shot with Roz cawing it out. 

But leave it to Mot to bring up "Magic Carpet"! "Carpet" is such an interesting footnote to Lucy's career in that this low-budget laughable quickie was shot in color, released the same year I Love Lucy debuted (though earlier in the year) and that within a year this woman would be the biggest thing in show business.  Her movie career had such a low profile that when TV came along she, at 40 with an 18 year's worth of movie work, was voted "Most Promising Newcomer" by some poll (Photoplay?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 5:02 PM, Freddie2 said:

Just noticed that Lucy’s eyes are not the correct color on the cover art. I get that the background is more beige/muted in contrast to Maureen O’Hara, but still...

I wonder if this is intentional. It's a plot point that Judy (Maureen O'Hara) has blue eyes and Bubbles doesn't. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had hoped the special features would delve a bit more into the film itself rather than a sole focus on Dorothy Arzner but this is a great release. One wonders what else they could have included in the extras, what could be lingering in the vaults.