Emmies

Will

I was wodering why websites don't list LUcy's special certificate she received at the 1981 Emmys for her 30th Anniversary as one of her awards. Also, did she know she was going to get the Governor's Awards in 1989? I don't know why she didn't get this award sooner, less classic stars received it before her. Lastly, was there any other time the Academy honored Lucy?

I was wodering why websites don't list LUcy's special certificate she received at the 1981 Emmys for her 30th Anniversary as one of her awards. Also, did she know she was going to get the Governor's Awards in 1989? I don't know why she didn't get this award sooner, less classic stars received it before her. Lastly, was there any other time the Academy honored Lucy?

The 1981 tribute just the certificate rather than an Emmy statuette, so I would consider it an "honor" rather than an "award." Lucy was also given a plaque commemorating her previous Emmy nominations in 1973 on The Merv Griffin Show. James Stewart presented her with the same exact plaque on CBS Salutes Lucy three years later. The Academy honored Lucy with a dinner in 1969 and proclaimed her "The First Lady of Television." The Governors Award was decided posthumously. She should have gotten it sooner.

The 1981 tribute just the certificate rather than an Emmy statuette, so I would consider it an "honor" rather than an "award." Lucy was also given a plaque commemorating her previous Emmy nominations in 1973 on The Merv Griffin Show. James Stewart presented her with the same exact plaque on CBS Salutes Lucy three years later. The Academy honored Lucy with a dinner in 1969 and proclaimed her "The First Lady of Television." The Governors Award was decided posthumously. She should have gotten it sooner.

I agree Lucy should have gotten the Governor's Award while she was alive. Red Skelton got it before her and while he was funny he was no Lucille Ball, a legend.

I agree Lucy should have gotten the Governor's Award while she was alive. Red Skelton got it before her and while he was funny he was no Lucille Ball, a legend.

Well, she didn't get the Presidential Medal of Freedom till after she passed also. Although i think she was treated very well by the Academy most of the time, she did get gipped out of an Emmy or two, not getting nominated for What Now Catharine Curtis AND Stone Pillow to name but two instances. Remember that hindsight is also a factor here, people saw It's a Wonderful Life as just a cute little movie decades ago and it only got the recognition decades later as has been teh case with many a movie, tv show or even career of some stars. When she died, Lucy had just experienced a flop of a tv series and headlines of The Queen is Dead, she was respected but mainly known for slapstick humor and a bygone era. I think her talent, legend and reputation have only incresed with time and she's bigger and more respected now than she was back then when her body of work was seldom seen by fans and only gets appreciated today as the sheer volume of it overwhelms the average fan and truly has placed her in ICON status.

Archived